cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel
Hagerty Employee

We’re on a mission to get more people shifting gears

Help us reach our goal of teaching 500 drivers in 50 days how to drive a manual!

004 - 20171104-WSM_3789.jpg

There’s nothing like driving a stick shift – feeling the gears change, connecting with the car and the road – and we’re on a mission to get more people experiencing that excitement.

It all starts on National Stick Shift Day (July 16). We’ll be kicking off the day at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, celebrating 10 years of the Hagerty Driving Experience (our program designed to teach young drivers how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission)!

You can take part no matter where you are, anytime from July 16 – Sept. 3 - here's how:

• Spend an hour with someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual - a family member, a friend or neighbor - and give them a lesson (see the attached 'manual manual' as a reference guide)
  • Reply to this post with a photo from the experience (Photo attaching tutorial here)
  • We’ll follow up with you via direct message for your address so we can send you two of our '3 Pedals, No Problem' hats from The Shop. Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipping. 

Thank you for joining the fun - Never Stop Driving! 

839 REPLIES 839
djgarces
New Driver

I am in …I am selecting the candidates already 

442BH392
New Driver

Hi Rachel - I would like to learn how to drive a manual. Is there any resource where I can sign up near me? Thanks!

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

I just sent you a DM, thanks so much for your interest!

Blucille
New Driver

Just got back from a lesson with Hayden.  He has done the class in school and is ready for his permit in 2 months so it’s perfect time to get him used to the feel of clutch.  Flat parking lot, with some obstacles.  He did great.   Ready for more.  

C14708EA-F3E5-4DB4-B08D-B416EF88F031.jpeg

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

This is awesome - thanks so much!

Silverphox57
New Driver

Great initiative and just the kick in the pants I need to get my wife driving our 1968 Datsun Roadster. I’m in!

Ruby
Pit Crew

I am in!

BillyRayStngRay
New Driver

I purchased my 15 year old son a 6 speed, even though he could not drive one yet.  I figure it was the best way to limit the 'text and drive' exposure.  He was mad at first, but has become increasingly happy because he can now do something that almost no-one at his school can do.    I'm happy because he can't lend out his car to very many people.

mcmxciMEGA
New Driver

#SaveTheManualsDEB24E4D-1E5F-4969-ACB2-3FEE66B3C346.jpeg

5E606818-B58A-4833-B8AF-A18C9D142F95.jpeg

BKSS
New Driver

This is a wonderful idea for a dying breed of vehicles.  I am in!!

Chopperno1
New Driver

Awesome will do!

Shiftless
New Driver

Wonderful idea, owned a 350Z and had a favorite niece (high school senior) who would look way cool driving this convertible and underused beauty to high school her last month.   Off to an empty parking lot for lessons and practice.

Well, there are just some folks who may never have the skills needed to learn these movements.   After two weeks of trials and tribulations we gave up these noble lessons.

End story, my 350Z required a new clutch and power plate costing over $3,000.

Sometimes good intentions…,,,,,,

Shiftless
New Driver

pressure plate, darn typo corrections

PeggyW
New Driver

I'm in!!

Ivestoy2
New Driver

 This was today before I saw the email.  My daughter learning to drive on the 2007 Mini Cooper with its 6spd manual and JCW shifter, that I built for her.  I made her watch how a clutch works on YouTube first.  She’ll be on her own in no time!

CFF09216-189A-4785-95F9-13091E6000CD.jpeg

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Awesome - well done... and perfect timing! 

mcmxciMEGA
New Driver

I have three manual vehicles btw:

2019 Mini Cooper S

2018 BMW 440i

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 (for sale)

Nothing more engaging than being behind the wheel of a car you're in full control of. Throw the slushboxes away, #SavetheManuals

GreatScot
New Driver

Everybody should learn how to drive stick. It was one of my house rules when my kids were learning to drive and now they thank me for teaching them. I think I'll find a new student!

Yarbles
New Driver

I'll send a picture of me sweeping up broken SAAB gearbox parts for your consideration

DesktopDave
Pit Crew

What an amazing coincidence, I'm teaching my son at this exact moment. He's doing great! I'd also like to say "Thanks" for this post and the free merch offer, it's a really superb idea. Pictures to follow!

DanDi58
New Driver

As much as I enjoy driving a stick (my '76 MGB and '09 MINI Cooper) I'd rather teach people to drive my Tesla.

Gazz
New Driver

I have been waiting for an excuse to teach the wife.... great idea! But I get the hat!

Rusler
New Driver

I sold my 66 Vette which was my last stick classic, unfortunately my other two are automatic.

In my day I have taught quite a few people to drive stick and would love to do it again.

Funny story. I had just had a left knee replacement, and two candy stripers, a boy and a girl, were wheeling me to my ride home. We were chatting and I said I wouldn’t be able to drive my Corvette for a while. Of course, they ask why and I told them because it was a tick shift. They ask was that the kind of car that had that thingy coming out of the floor. Needless to say, my wife and I laughed.

Any way I’d would love to teach anyone who wants to learn.

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Laughing reading that - thanks for sharing!

ArchiesDad
New Driver

A great idea. I am pretend-offended that you didn’t include the shift pattern for Triumphs; Lift and right-back for reverse. You will need to include that in the 2nd edition.

Also, you missed a really effective teaching method. It comes from the Tappet Brothers (Tom & Ray Magliotti), and works great. Have the student start the car from a dead stop using only the clutch. They learn not to drop the clutch really quickly this way.

E36_forever
Pit Crew

They should also include the BMW Isetta.  3rd and 4th are to the left of 1st and 2nd.  Fun! 

Dantbadger
New Driver

I'm game!!

P_911_Nut
New Driver

Rachel,

Does this count? I have taught all six of my kids how to drive in my Chevy truck with a 5-speed manual and 4-wheel drive. Their first vehicles had to be a manual also.  

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Great job teaching the whole family! I think that definitely deserves a hat!

ZMan
New Driver

You're never to old to learn right?  Taught my 36 year old son how to drive a 5 speed.

Clutch needed replacing anyways.  🙂  My '01 Mitsubishi Eclipse will never be the same and now he wants to borrow it!20210719_180435.jpg

MILogger
New Driver

Great idea and I'm going to teach my lady how to drive my Porsche!  I've got another question though, I've been driving stick for over 21 years, but I'd like to get better and perfect heel-toe. Any qualified people in mid-Michigan who would like to help?  Thanks in advance!

savagefolk1
New Driver

6F70D1A4-5FBF-4ED8-AAE9-B9A528067196.jpeg

rmacaluso
New Driver

My son wanted to drive my car back when he was 16.  I told him that it was a standard.  He went in the house, watched a YouTube video, came back out and said it looked really easy to do and he know knew how to drive a standard.  He got in the driver's seat, paused and asked me why the car had two brake pedals.  I told him that he needed to re-watch the video.  He eventually learned, however not that day.

Hodie
New Driver

One year ago my better half introduced me to driving a manual. (He has two stick-shift pickups and is fairly anti-automatic.) Though I floundered a bit with his old four-on-the-floor Ford, I decided to get rid of my automatic Nissan Sentra and bought a new '20 Toyota Corolla Hatchback. This was well before I really knew what I was doing, a real sink-or-swim moment, but you learn by doing! Here I am today and absolutely loving it. There is such joy and engagement with a manual....it's easily the best decision of my adult life (aside from sticking with my better half)!❤

DaveM
New Driver

960EC929-E3B2-4B2E-BF4D-318FB1EA3E8F.jpeg

Non-synchro to boot!

yankee1958
New Driver

who pays for clutch when they burn it out

E36_forever
Pit Crew

If you teach them properly they won't burn it out.

Annette
New Driver

1642BF2B-90C1-465F-A70B-D99EA7CFCD96.jpeg

JimR
Instructor

Awesome! You’re making memories….great ones.

I remember doing that with my son on my ‘52 column shift. In addition to clutch and shifting skills I put emphasis on thinking ahead of the car, since he was used to responsive light cars with power discs, bugger tire contact patches and power steering.

Annette
New Driver

271449D1-E627-4AC0-86E9-ADC159F35EE4.jpeg

31142643-2C66-4E9A-A951-5B0337E5DE6D.jpeg

Rob1
Instructor

Start em young great pic.R

JOD
New Driver

I purchase a used standard shift car for each of my kids when they turned 16. I think all new drivers should start with a stick. It helps to keep the driver focused on driving.

E36_forever
Pit Crew

Same here with my kids.  I'm just teaching my youngest to drive manual now.  The only argument against starting with a manual is that it is one more thing for an already overloaded new driver to think about.  The upside is that they can drive anything and their friends can't borrow their car 🙂

99MiataAE
Pit Crew

Is this offer available to Canadian drivers and manual driver wannabes?

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Absolutely! 

Smisturi
New Driver

Manual today 🔛Automatic tomorrow 

93586187-04F7-4C19-A08E-5F7397F5B594.jpeg

32-Coupe
Pit Crew

What a great idea. I have two daughters and a son-in-law that should know how to drive a manual. It will be so much fun teaching each and seeing which picks it up the quickest. Hard car to learn on though. 

Peter D Sell
glinsky
New Driver

Wanted to suggest an add to the Manual Manual that has worked countless times for me in teaching stick driving. I ask the learning driver to first practice letting the clutch out slowly with the car in first gear WITHOUT giving any gas, and stopping when the revs begin to drop. (without stalling the engine).  Then they are asked to again depress the clutch.  Doing this several times in a row successfully teaches where the friction point is and seems to take away the rush to get the pedals out (clutch) and in (gas), as well as fear of when the engaging occurs the driver might stall or lurch.

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Great point - thanks for sharing!

golfnut53083
Intermediate Driver

Being in car sales for 40+years, I have taught my fair share of customers to drive stick. The last one was very enjoyable as she wanted this Miata so badly but wasn't able to drive std. To see her face light up when I offered to teach her was totally worth it! She has enjoyed the convertible and the shifting immensely!