cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4wheel2wheel
Pit Crew

What got started loving cars

It started for me the day my Dad brought home a brand new 1957 Plymouth Savoy sport coupe. It was two tone Canary yellow and Sand Dune white with a V8 and pushbutton drive. My Dad always drove Chrysler products except from 1981 to 1988 when he owned a Datsun 310 GX coupe, more on that later. 

I got my drivers license in 1968 and my first car was a 1961 VW bug. My dad would let me use his 1968 Chrysler 300 coupe from time to time and with a 440 CID V8 and 4 barrel carburetor it had some serious grunt.  I love to drive fast and so the 300 was lots of fun however I got my first speeding ticket in the bug.

I didn't know anything about how to work on a car until my brother taught me some basics. So I learned on the 61 bug and  that's when the pure love hit. I really enjoyed working on the car and what's more, I was good at it.

By the time I went off to college I was doing all the work on my car, (except bodywork) and also fixing cars on campus for other students. Funny, I majored in Psychology but after 3 years, dropped out because ultimately liberal arts wasn't for me. 

Fixing cars however was and I went on to become a professional Master automotive technician with factory certifications from Jaguar, Rover, Triumph, Nissan, Isuzu and Volkswagen along with all ASE certifications. I retired after 30 years with no regrets, it is an honorable profession. 

I never had a car collection because I never had the space to start one. But being a mechanic I worked on and drove hundreds of cars and trucks. I do have some that left an impression on me however. They are the 1959 Austin Healey (Frog Eye) Sprite, the 1966 Sunbeam Alpine ( not the Tiger ) the 1772 Jaguar E type V12 roadster just to name a few.

Oh yes about the Datsun 310, I was working at a Nissan dealer at the time when my Dad was looking to replace his current driver, a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, 225 CID slant 6 with a 3 on the tree. I showed him the 310 and after an hour he bought it. I did the PDI and all the maintenance on the car for the seven years he had it. His last car was a 1996 Plymouth Neon sedan.

My current daily driver is a 1997 Plymouth Neon, High line 4 door sedan. Also a 1980 Shay, Model A, Super Deluxe Roadster and a 2016 Subaru Outback, which is a fantastic car. It's no big stable, but it's ours. 

0 REPLIES 0