cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Studebaker10
New Driver

MY FAVORITE CARS

I HAVE SEVERAL OLD CARS, BUT MY FAVORITE CARS ARE THE 1974 DODGE CHARGER SPECIAL EDITION BROUGHAM AND A 1962 STUDEBAKER DAYTONA HARDTOP.  I HAVE OWNED BOTH OF THESE CARSE SINCE DAY ONE.  THE LARK HAS A MORE INTERESTING STORY THOUGH.  IT WAS A COLLEGE GRADUATION GIFT FROM MY PARENTS AFTER GOING TO PRUDE UNIVERSITY AND GETTING MY DEGREES.  MY FIRST CARE WAS A 1950 USED STUDEBAKER COMMANDER MY FATHER BOUGHT ME IN ORDER TO GO TO COLLEGE.  BOTH CARS I PICKED OUT.  THE STUDEBAKER BECAUSE MY FATHER'S BUSINESS DID ALOT OF WORK FOR ADMINISTRATION INDIVIDUALS, RELATIVES OF THE STUDEBAKER FAMILY AND ORDINARY EMPLOYEES OF THE FAMILY AS WELL.

I PICKED THE 1962 STUDEBAKER LARK BECAUSE I LIKED THE FRONT SIDE OF THE CAR AND ALSO MY FATHER WOULD NOT BUY ME A STUDBAKER HAWK WHICH IS THE CAR i REALLY WANTED.  THAT TURNED OUT TO BE A MISTAKE ON HIS PART BECAUSE HE SAID I COULD BY ANY LARK STYLE STUDEBAKER THAT I WANTED TO SO BY THE TIME I ADDED ALL THE EXTRAS THAT WERE AVAILABLE ON THE STUDEBAKER HAWK TO THE 1962 STUDEBAKER LARK I WANTED MY FATHER ENDED UP BUYING FOR ME COST ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE STUDEBAKER HAWK DID.  i HAD A STUDEBAKER HAWK ATENNA INSTALLED AND NO LARK LETTERING WAS PUT ON THE FENDERS OF MY LARK AND MECHANICAL PARTS FROM 1961 THAT CHANGED AFTER JANUARY 1962. 

I HAVE GONE TO MANY LOCAL CAR SHOWS AND HAVE WON TROPHIES, PLAQUES, AND EVEN WON AN AWARD FOR ORIGNAL OWENR AND ALL ORIGINAL CAR; BUT, NEVER TO THE NATIONAL MEET BECAUSE MY LARK HAS NOT BEEN RESTORED LIKE THE ONES THE NATIONAL MEET SHOWS.  I HAVE BEEN A STUDEBAKER CLUB MEMBER FOR 50 YEARS AND PRESIDENT OF THE LOCAL CHAPETER 6 TIMES BESIDES HOLDING OTHER POSTIONS AS WELL.  THANKS FOR LETTING ME TELL MY STORY.  JOHN

2 REPLIES 2
Guitar74
Gearhead

I like Studebakers. I think the Marque made some very interesting and unique automobiles including the Lark. I wouldn't be too worried about if it's restored or not. Sometimes, the restored cars are over-restored and yours might end up being a great reference for those who are looking to restore a Lark. I also the 71 up Chargers and Satellite/Roadrunner/GTXs of that era. I always thought that they were a great looking car. 

ModelT
Advanced Driver

We retired to the boonies of Florida and our adopted son was born a car guy. He started out as our first grandson. As I was wheelin and dealin with a small town used car dealer, I ended up with a shortened, topless S-10 with Mustang II front end and a Ford rear with dual coil overs out back. Under the track nosed aluminum hood was a 350 Chevy and 4-speed. I'd planned on using parts off that mess for my 1948 Chevy panel truck project.

Our son, around ten, fell in love with that S-10 thing and worked on it after school and weekends. Of course, I slowly tore it apart which left him car-less.

On another trade, I ended up with a few more project cars.  I had a choice between a '46 Chevy 4-dr and a 1950 Studebaker Commander 4-dr. with no engine or transmission.

It had been on a flat roofed restaurant or bar  along the main highway for years, next to a 50's Chevy. Painted bright red with a brush, or broom, the windows were painted black. It was a fairly low mileage car in decent shape, considering it was right out in the open on a roof in central Florida. The remaining red paint was turning pink!

I asked my ten year old which one he'd like as his project. The Commander was hauled home.

My still ten year old began gathering parts at swap meets. One we loved was Turkey Rod run at the Daytona Speedway. Vendors liked the idea of a ten year old building a Studebaker. He got like new door handles, chrome, and other parts at bargain prices. At an all Studebaker show in Gainesville, Fl we got to know the inventor of GatorAid and his adult son, Studebaker freaks! My son was invited to their private Studebaker farm to look over their show cars and parts cars. At that time, they had a restoration crew plus sold Studebaker parts. Again, my son got some great bargains on chrome, grille parts, and other missing or broken '50 Studebaker parts.

Just  when our son got that Commander lookin good, a friend offered him enough money and one beat up 75 Chevy truck in trade. Kids and pick up trucks were the in thing in central Florida. The Studebaker was gone an our son now had a driver license.

Studebakers.jpg (6).JPGAt Home 003.jpg

At Home 004.jpg