cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlstarrynite
New Driver

if only we knew then as the saying goes....

in 1960 I joined the navy and relocated from Ontario to Nova Scotia.....how or where it came from i cannot remember but i know it was $100.00 which was a lot of money then, considering I was paid $97.00 per month at the beginning of my service....the car was a 1949 ford convertible which was terribly cold to drive in a Nova Scotia winters but being 17 yrs. of age who cared,  I had wheels that were parked across the road from the cornwallis navel base whenever I had leave....it was the most beautiful reliable 3 speed car I can remember owning...my 66 mustang which I have now is ok but i simply cant get that car from my mind.....I remember when I left Nova Scotia after my stint I sold the car for $100.00. I hope it has been restored and is sitting in someones garage somewhere looking as beautiful as ever.....

2 REPLIES 2
Sajeev
Community Manager

It's always interesting to wonder what happened to cars we sold but regret that we did.  1949 Fords were gorgeous cars, that's for sure!

ModelT
Detailer

I always wanted a 1949 Ford coupe. Finally when I bought a decent 1957 Chevy 2-dr H.T. I somehow made a deal to also buy the guy's 1949 Ford fordor which I sold cheap to son #2.  It had a six with 3-sp and overdrive. We'd helped son #1 buy a worn out Corvair coupe as his first car. It leaked oil so bad he wasn't allowed to park in my drive way!

The '49 Ford was a poor man's rough restoration with a home made cloth interior. Son #2 was proud of his Ford and sometimes dressed period correct to take his girlfriend for a drive or cruise. Like most do, he eventually sold it for something else. I sort of almost had a 1949 Ford.

After retiring to Florida and during a spell of temporary insanity, I traded my 1955 Chevy handyman wagon even for a pink 1949 Ford customized coupe with a small rear seat. Inside was white roll and pleat with pink piping. Up front was a 302 and everything else from a T-Bird, just like a Mustang II. It had a C-4 and later Ford rear. Dual spots, dual trunk mount antennas, Turnpike cruiser skirts, side pipes, shaved front, rear, and remote doors. A real kustom sortta looking like a short '49 Mercury. Oh yea, it had a chopped top and pin stripes.

It ran hot, rode like a log wagon, leaked rain, mud, and dust. Women couldn't keep their hands off my pink Ford. It got a decent fuel mileage, and I had the title in the glove box. It was the only car I was ready to sell to the first sucker that made me an offer.

Then, my young son and I replaced the radiator, the shocks, and much of everything else  involving ride control. Sealed up the leaks and drove the heck out of Pinky for years, till another sucker begged me to sell or trade it.

I traded Pinky, the '49 Ford at another car show, even up for another car I didn't like. Yet I still own and love Smiley, the yellow  '41 Ford 2-dr with the same type white with yellow piping installed by the same guy who did the interior of Pinky years earlier.

Smiley is really a small block GM in disguise. Everything that makes it go is Chevy!

At yet another car show and swap meet, I finally bought my 1955 Chevy wagon back. I begged and pleaded with that ex-Pinky owner for years. In fact, I'd just put a deposit on  an original 1956 4-dr HT when the owner of MY wagon decided to sell it back to me.

I'll go to my grave with our 1955 Chevy wagon. No, it ain't a Nomad. There have been many arguments over that.Wallpaper AAA.jpgInt Albums (31).jpg