cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luckyshoeshine
Pit Crew

BMW 328i Convertible

Started off as a curiosity as i was looking to replace a accident ended wonderful driving machine Porsche experience.  The number of times i drove by a Blue on Blue BMW convertible sitting on the front corner of a fenced in used car dealer i soul searched whether i dare delve into ownship of a BMW with my lack of knowledge or understanding of such a car's care and repair ownership.  A question in my mind was would such a car satisfy the void of driving pleasure  I had in the Porsche?  I had to find out.  After two attempts to make communication with the highly secured dealer's owner i got onto the property and took my first closeup view of the car.  Very clean staight body, top all fabric pristine, not a stitch out of place or missing.  Impressed I asked for the keys to check it out further.  The dealer owner pointed me to the needed restroom and said he would put the keys in the car for me. When I returned to the car i did a slow walk around look including inspecting the chrome surround of the the kidney grill and front end.  Then i opened the driver's door, i noticed i was very precision like and positive feeling.  The interior was a shock at first and as i was taking a look around i looked at the instrument panel and noticed the tach was showing 700 RPM! It was running, I thought back to myself just being closely viewing the grill and didn't hear it running! Now the real issues of the car? The wood velour on the counsel was badly cracked, the seats leather were cracked  and the windshield top mounting trim was missing and the top's attaching assembly motor was hanging at an angle.  I'll pick up where I'm leaving off latter i have a dog to walk. See you all again.

2 REPLIES 2
Luckyshoeshine
Pit Crew

I'm continuing where i left off,  the interior and convertible top's problem could be solved i thought but how costly?  I then asked the dealer come out to the car and explain the latching motor situation, he said it just needed to be epoxied in place and he had someone to do the repair, but the top still can be put down either automatically or manually.  He said go ahead and push the button on the counsel.  Intrigued i pushed the button.  The hanging motor was not fully hanging it had two zip ties holding it barely, it  spun into action and with some snapping noises the top disengaged from the windshield rouse a few inches and hung there not going any further.  The dealer said don't worry it will go down manually and raised the rear seat cushion pulled a cord and hand nursed the top down.  I doubted the car could be driven with the tonneau not latched down in place and decided to try and raise it automatically at the same time telling the dealer i wanted to take it for a drive.  The top raised completely and failed to latch at the windshield, just making snapping noises.  I said i would be back to drive it when the top repair was completed.  I decided to do some research on the car and it's issues... more on this in next repy

Luckyshoeshine
Pit Crew

Picking up, returning to the dealer i found the car's top re-secured and the dealer said he was able to get it so by turning a mechanical activator with a driver.  He said it was driveable  when i asked to have it looked over by a BMW guy at a shop 20 miles away, he put a dealer tag on and I got into the new world of BMWville.  It was vastly different from any car i have ever driven  which includes Porsches, Fiats, Renaults, and domestic cars of any body type.  Aside from the interior i felt proud to be driving it's smooth refinded character.  The dealer said it had a shutter in the wheel at around 65 mph and i disovered this after getting aquanted with its in-touch feeling it has in traffic.  Accelerating it from  different speeds the automatic didn't fail to find the right gearing and shifts where positive but not abrupt.  The AC was a treat to feel its chill and a nice temperature control was easy to adjust for both sides of the car.  At the Import shop i parked it out of the way but in a spot i could view it from the entrance area.  I had an appointment and was right on time. I left in running and a young lady went out to check the car in and i followed. She took pictures from all positions of the exterior and as she opened the driver's door was struck enough by the coolness emitting from inside said "and the AC works  good too" She got in and made notes then drove the car into the service area.  The car was out of sight and i was a bit tense because i have seen nasty tricks done to cars at dealers mostly and major franchise shops. I tried not to show my nervousness and look like a nice man.  Apparently as i discovered many pictures were taken of all the components on the car and as i viewed it been driven out of the shop a guy at the counter called me over to discuss results.  I viewed pictures as he explained the malities... I must leave off , to be continued...