cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

All States, Provinces, and Territories

Intermediate Driver

When our youngest son at age 15 was beginning to really worry us about who he was running with, I went to the one thing that I thought could help. I bought a crappy looking 86 GT Mustang convertible to attract my son to spend time with me restoring it. The six year old car's faded paint was badly ruined with stone chips, the top's stitching was totally rotted out, and the car couldn't idle. Perfect! Lots to do.

Unfortunately, I couldn't paint the car in our garage, and I didn't have a clue how to replace a roof properly. I isolated the idling problem to a fuel pump (inside the gas tank) and had to take it to a shop to replace it. Next problem? There weren't any!

With new paint, roof, and fuel pump the car was in excellent shape. So we went driving.

My son got his driving license the next year, and we took the family on a two car 3500 km drive from Toronto to Alberta with my son sharing driving duties in the Mustang. He loved driving so much we started planning to do Route 66.

We did Route 66 the next year from Chicago to the Santa Monica peer. CB radios between the cars allowed us to have more conversations with our sons in those 3 weeks than we had had in years. The younger one was totally hooked. The garage thing hadn't work out as planned, but we found our son again on the road.

Our son got himself a job and soon bought his own car. He went on to making a career for himself in the auto industry, which he still enjoys to this day. Meanwhile my wife and I were not ready to give up the road and travels with our Mustang.

We started travelling with friends and car clubs, plus many trips on our own. Before we knew it we had covered almost all of Canada and the United States. Our Mustang has over a half million kilometres on it now, still looks great with ongoing maintenance and upgrades, and we have been to every US state, Canadian province and territory accessible by road. Only Nunavut and Hawaii left to go. That ain't happening. But we did fly to Hawaii and rent a Mustang with which we drove all of the highways on the Big Island.

Our young son has now given us three grandsons to share the Mustang with and I get to share it with them a lot. The eldest grandson will be taking his driving lessons this summer through Hagerty's License to the Future program, and then I will be able to start over, teaching him about the joys of driving and the road.

On the Road Again with a grandson!On the Road Again with a grandson!Area 51Area 51North to AlaskaNorth to AlaskaMount McKinley in DenaliMount McKinley in DenaliAtlanta Motor Speedway at 114MPHAtlanta Motor Speedway at 114MPHMustang Magazine ArticleMustang Magazine Article

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: All States, Provinces, and Territories

Community Manager

What an amazing story of a family and their Mustang!  I love the 5-lug brake/wheel work you have done to it recently!  

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver
Hi Sajeev, Thanks for the comments. That brake and wheel upgrade was the best mod I have done to the car. The brakes were a Ford Motorsport kit based on the 95 Mustang Cobra. Unfortunately no longer available. The car gets a lot of attention at shows because of the brakes and the 2001 Mustang Bullitt wheels. The car and the wheels really compliment each other, especially with the word "Cobra" peeking out between the spokes.
Highlighted

Community Manager

I remember that kit! I recently did the same conversion using a junked 1995 Mustang, reproduction Cobra calipers (without the Cobra name) and off the shelf rotors.  Not nearly as pretty but it gets the job done! 

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

I hope you grabbed the Master Cylinder Booster as well. It is nearly twice the diameter of a standard Fox booster and a very tight fit.

My favourite brake kit story (I always have a story) was when Joe DaSilva (every Mustang owner in Eastern Canada knows Joe) took my car for a test drive a year or so after the brake upgrade and had to do a sudden stop. He **bleep** near put his nose into the steering wheel having forgotten about the Cobra discs.   

Highlighted

Community Manager

Yup! Sure did grab the booster!  I think it's the same unit for all SN-95 Mustangs, but its been a while so I've forgotten.  Its nice that most of this stuff is now available at parts stores, too. 

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

I agree. I was really pleased when I had to do a brake job last year and found that I could get Brembo cross drilled rotors and performance brake pads for the Cobra kit. Since I don't track the car anymore (it's me, not the car that is too old), I don't notice much performance gain from the BremboWhen We Were YoungWhen We Were Young rotors, but they sure look spiffy.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Yeah you'd have to race it hard for hours on track to have a chance of seeing the benefit of an upgrade like that.  Still very cool.