cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob1
Instructor

Transmission Cooler

Yes a subject beaten to death elsewhere but need a Hagerty forum opinion iam replacing the rad core on my C3 it has a Harrison 4 core in the mean time Iam replacing trans cooler lines all hoses and such I ordered a Hayden trans cooler now the question, in a car that only runs in temperature's say lows of 50F to summer time highs is not beat on or highly modified  would U still run thru the existing rad cooler or only the aftermarket cooler which will be mounted in the air stream but not on the rad itself these bottom breathers have enough cooling issues in city stop and go.Cheers R

4 REPLIES 4
Sajeev
Community Manager

I would always do the "double cooling" if your engine coolant radiator has the provision for transmission cooler, becuase ATF runs significantly hotter than coolant. That said, that sounds like a pretty mild climate and you will be fine using the external trans cooler only. 

Rob1
Instructor

I stuck with your first thoughts Sajeev I do enjoy my classic as late in the fall as possible as well as spring after the rains rid the roads of salt and severe high temps are rare so i ended up running thru the rad then the cooler my thinking was a more stable trans temp in all weather.Thanks R

JimR
Instructor

Are you running a thermostat with the aftermarket cooler? 

Rob1
Instructor

Sorry JimR I was out of town yes iam running a engine thermostat at present a 195 degree the car seems to hold its temp well in town creeps up a bit but the clutch fan (new just replaced) barely ever spools up.R