cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob1
Instructor

Speedmaster Cyl heads

Any one in the Hagerty family have any direct experience with Speedmaster Alum heads in particular BBC good/bad/or anything that would help with a decision to go with or rebuild the stocker iron heads 353049 not looking for huge gains just lighter and fresh.Thanks R

9 REPLIES 9
Guitar74
Gearhead

Speedmaster are rebadged Procomp brand parts. They are made overseas and aggressively priced. You could do just as well with a set of Edelbrock E-Street heads and get a better casting, quality, and even though they have joined a conglomerate, WAY better service (at least it has been consistently good for me with Ebrock). The price is competitive and the gains would likely be similar. Procomp has a terrible reputation for quality (made the mistake of using a distributor from them.....once) with their electronic components, so I don't think I would mess with their engine parts. But hey, that's just my experience as well as comparing them with another brand I continue to use and trust.

Rob1
Instructor

Thanks Guitar74 I appreciate your input I had heard that Ebrock had shut down and moved and wasnt sure if they were now overseas rebrand more research needed on my end for sure by the time any parts reach me here its pretty much double the listed USD price what with shipping/dollar diff/customs so i dont want to do things twice.Cheers 

hyperv6
Gearhead

Edelbrock was sold and moved to Mississippi. I think they are casting out of country but finish work is still done in the USA. 

Speedmasters are entry level. They are ok but you get what you pay for. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

I knew that they became part of a conglomerate, but had no idea that they shut down their casting facilities and moved them overseas. WTF? Does nobody realize that when you let your manufacturing leave that sooner or later the other jobs tend to go that way too? "Oh beautiful, for spacious skies, for welfare states a plenty". Ridiculous!

hyperv6
Gearhead

Well everyone wants to be a millionaire but no one wants to pay the prices it will cost.

The way forward is education and acquiring better skills for better jobs. But the government just wants to pay people more at entry level and keep them there and drive up cost. 

People should strive to improve what they have to offer to move up vs being rewarded for being stagnate. 

I started washing trucks at a gas station. Paid my way through school and gained experience to where I am today. No I am not filthy rich but I live well and enjoy life. 

If I got $15 for washing trucks and just stayed there it would be tough. That is no way forward. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

I agree with you about people wanting to better themselves. On the other side of that argument, I have been downsized no less than three times in 20 yrs. Twice, I have went back to school to "diversify" in an attempt to find another direction. The blanket statement of people stagnating is kind of a farce. Does anyone else remember when people  like our parents were able to work at one company fresh out of high school or college and work their way up through the ranks? I do. You will never see that these days. Wanting to better yourself, or not stagnating, shouldn't be an excuse for people sending ALL kinds of jobs overseas so that the stock will sell at a penny more per share. 

That's an easy thing to say until you have been on the receiving end of it, brother. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

I just checked a labor dept. report. It seems that the casting facilities are still in operation state side. But upon further investigation, I found that they did nix 270 jobs all the while claiming that they want to retain the togetherness of the car culture. I wonder how the near 300 people that lost their jobs feel about that one.

Rob1
Instructor

The ongoing sad state of industry in USA/Canada early in my work life a town in southern Ontario St Catharines jobs were plentiful GM had two plants at full capacity and the area thrived now one left at a fraction of its former self the other completely  gone along with well paying jobs and the offshoot companys that supplied the plant and workers its a tough thing to see thanks for the info guys.R 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Same thing happened in my hometown of Danville, IL when the GM foundry in Tilton closed.