cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_240z
Pit Crew

Converting a carbureted car to EFI (fuel tank)

Hi,

I am about to embark down a trail that will be wrought with anger, frustration, happiness, confusion and learning.  I am converting my 240z to an ITB EFI set up.  Currently the car has a set of DCOE 45's.  The piece of the puzzle I am stuck with is my fuel system. I have seen people use the Holley Sniper EFI intank fuel pump, seems the most elegant, but I have my doubts.  The fuel tank has very minimal baffling, so the risk of fuel starvation sounds like its there.  The second option I've seen is running the stock fuel tank with my HVLP Carter fuel pump to feed a swirl pot with a 255HP fuel tank.  I would want to say this is the best option, but I've never messed with a fuel swirl pot to know if this is going to resolve my potential fuel starvation issue.  Any insight on converting a carb'd car's fuel system to EFI would be super helpful.
Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Sajeev
Community Manager

The fuel tank is usually the hardest part of the EFI conversion equation. That said, how much time are you gonna spend racing this car? Most folks aren't gonna do sustained cornering at high speeds for an endurance race (or for 30-120 minute stints) so I am not sure if the valid issue of fuel starvation is gonna happen to you. If this is a valid concern for your racing needs, do the fuel pot/255lph tank setup you suggested.  If not, run the Sniper EFI tank and keep on filling it up between stints at a track day.  

Chris_240z
Pit Crew

Id say 0% of the time the car will ever see a track. Haha.  I was thinking if I just keep the thing above about a half tank, I should be a null issue.  That should be much easier to do when its not running at a 10.5:1 AFR all the time chugging gasoline.  

Sajeev
Community Manager

Very good. In this case run the in tank fuel pump and don't worry about it.  You can, if motivated, see if they make a longer sock for the intake end of the fuel pump, to ensure the pump is always reaching closer to the floor of the tank. Then again, there's a chance the conversion lets you adjust the height of the pump relative to the floor of the tank. I have a feeling I am totally overthinking this. 

Anyway, good luck and keep us in the loop!

JimR
Advanced Driver

Seems like a friend just dealt with a related issue on his 280z with an RB swap. When he bought it, the stock tank had been kept but the location of the needed high pressure lines and fittings for EFI weren’t very...optimal.  I’ think he ended up making the move to a fuel cell. 
If you keep the stock tank I want to say there’s some sort of foam you can insert into the tank in lieu of hard baffles. You might try an internet search.

Chris_240z
Pit Crew

For the fuel system I have an update:
Decided to go with the PA-4 intake pump set up. I like'd it for 2 reasons, 1: it comes with its own little cradle the pump and sock fit in, and 2: I have seen it done already in a 240z.  Will try and get pictures uploaded if anyone would like to see them as I start drilling holes.  

Sajeev
Community Manager

Definitely post pics, really want to see how it works out!