cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgpnaples
New Driver

1936 Packard 120 B cylinder head repair

Yesterday I was warming up my 1936 Packard 120 B ( 282 ci straight eight) when I heard a loud pop and shut off the engine. I opened he cowl and found that my number 2 spark plug had been blown out of the cylinder head. Further examination found the threads stripped on the spark plug. I tried to install a new spark plug and of course it won't screw into the head becasue the threads in the head are damaged. The car has had these plugs in for 4 years with no issue. Now what do I do? Can I get the cylinder head spark plug hole repaired or do I need a new refurbished cylinder head for my 36 Packard 282 ci engine? I am in Naples, Florida so anyone know of an engine builder or machine shop in South Florida for repair please forward the information to me. Thank you in advance, Dean.

2 REPLIES 2
Snailish
Engineer

Google helicoil spark plug repair and you get a lot of results. Seems like something any competent machine shop can handle.

CarciergeReggie
Hagerty Employee

A HeliCoil kit would be the fix for sure!

I would reach out to one of the following shops that should be able to help you out with the repair:

Tristate Classic Car Restoration PH 732-410-4540 website: https://www.tristateclassiccarrestoration.com/ Cape Coral, Fl

Tri-Five Performance PH 239-995-5657 Fort Myers, FL