cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

when driving an old foreign car

Detailer

please place the following items to bring in order of importance : vice grips ( locking pliers),sporty tweed cap,  aspirin (or other headache reliever), mobile phone, chewing gum (aluminum wrapped lucas electrical equipped cars), duct tape, extra fluids, tow truck, choice add one other item. 

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted

Re: when driving an old foreign car

Advanced Driver

Hilarious.

Highlighted

Detailer
Matches, so when it breaks down for the 1000's time you can burn it to the ground and collect the insurance, specific answer for Hagerty's amusement.

Nitro 😉
Highlighted

Detailer

your answer ' matches' is slightly amusing. the addition of a disclaimer ( driver on closed closed course, do not attempt, not legal in any state, do not set your car on fire, do not commit insurance fraud ) adds that subtle bit of whit that 'makes it'. my compliments sir.

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

Tools ?

Rescue ?

Piffle ! 

All one needs is a Drive at Dawn hat and a sense of adventure.

20200919_153035.jpg

Highlighted

Detailer

true enough but that stuff next to your garage door looks likes it's propped up a little too precariously for my liking. next to that beautiful Lotus? you must have a big brass pair or amazing stacking skills.

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

No danger to the car - just a carefully stacked pile of junk plus, at the top, a central vacuum canister that is firmly attached to the wall. But thanks for reminding me that I need to make a trip to the scrapyard to get rid of some stuff that has been sitting for so long that it kind of blends into the background and disappears. One of the advantages(?) of a very small car is that it allows more room for stuff to accumulate in the garage.

And to fess up, there is a bag of basic tools in the nose of the Europa. The good news is that it has been untouched for few years and might have rusted into a single lump of metal by now.  

Highlighted

Detailer

to fess up. you know i was being facetious. the Europa is one of my favorite cars period.i just love them. give me a street legal go kart any day. just one question,big valve or twin cam? i'm guessing big valve. but since you're going to the scrap/junk yard,think you could then park a super 7 in there too?

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

@Torino , answering your question isn't as simple as you think. The Europa has a twin cam engine with a "Big Valve" cam cover on it but the specific model is the Europa Twin Cam with the 4-speed transmission. Most sources say that the big valve engine didn't go into the Europa until the Europa Special with the 5-speed box. I wasn't astute enough to confirm the engine specifics when I bought the car way back in 1977 and I didn't keep actual specs from times the cylinder head has been off since then. The head will be coming off again some time this winter and I will be curious enough to confirm things then but I suspect it is a small valve engine with a fancy cam cover.  

I like your suggestion of fitting a Lotus 7 into the garage but not likely to happen. I already have two Lotus companions for the Europa - an Esprit and an Elise and if another Lotus follows me home I'll have to factor in the cost of a divorce. Besides, I took the Europa back to its off-site parking this afternoon so now the Elise is parked beside the pile of junk. 

Highlighted

Detailer

see now i didn't know that. i guess you do learn something new every day.may i make a suggestion. since the europa is off location tell your wife you sold it. clean out the garage find a caterham 7 that someone hasn't finished for cheap - ' all the parts should be there' and soldier on with the mods you wouldn't do to an original (loose the big 7 grille please). the mrs's will be fine with it - "he's in the garage playing with that box of parts he bought. i don't care it keeps him happy' - then bring the europa back. if she's accepted 3 whats one more? on my end it sure is fun spending other peoples money. (ps) wasn't elise the name of colin chapmans daughter too?