cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptainCardigan
Intermediate Driver

What would you do to avoid owning a PT Cruiser?

Cruising Reddit just now, I saw this great old post: PT Cruiser owners, what tragedy burdened you with your car? It's worth a read, for sure. 

Which leads me to this question, what would you do to avoid owning a PT Cruiser? Do you hate this piece of automotive oddity, or do you love it? 

15 REPLIES 15
brb
Advanced Driver

So the old drop top boats of the 40's and 50's seen in classic Hollywood films always appealed to me.  I'd call most of them gracefully ugly.  A Cruiser convertible provides the modern counterpart.  It's a pleasantly practical car that comfortably seats four adults and has room for one large or two smaller bodies in the trunk.  It look hideous with the top up, but appealing with the top down.  The engine bay is a total bitch to work in, especially the turbo model, and fuel economy is atrocious.  The wagons are even more practical and I enjoy the retro look.  The PT was a good idea let down by poor quality.

20191220121709_Palms.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

I'd rock a GT Cruiser all day, and throw all the Mopar bits from an SRT-4 to it to make a hot hatch that nobody will look twice at. 

PT Cruisers in general are gonna turn into what Gremlins/Pintos are today: perfect for someone looking for a slice of automotive counterculture. 

Pepperalls
Detailer

In my heavy salt-brine on roads, rust belt area we now have people advertising looking for Chevettes in any condition.

This will happen with PT Cruisers in 10-15 years.

Accepting them for what they are (not the pinnacle of build quality or overall engineering) I would have no problem owning one. They were retro done reasonably well and not crazy over priced.

The convertible one in the picture by the other poster looks like fun.

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

I own 5 pts still driving one i bought back in 02 my costom cars are on youtube " cruiserhemi" is my channel

Check em out? Black one has 1954 332 cu in HEMI ive been all around country got plenty trophys & people giving me comments! Even Stacy David from gears! So i have good luck & a whole lot of fun with my pts. I wont say i dont like cars just some makes i have nothing but bad luck owning like fords! They are good cars just dont put it my name. Now thats what i call an enthusiast!! I do like all cars some better then others but i see no need to bad talk any! All makes have trouble cars! So reelvalue you thoughts about cars before you just want to cut down a car because ownes dont know how to take car of them! Ive been working in a garage on cars since i was 15. Im asc certified i dont know everything so everbody can learn somthing! Now if i hurt your feelings mine get hurt when i hear people cut down pts!

Sajeev
Community Manager

I'd rock a GT turbo model with a stick all day, and sprinkle it with Neon SRT performance bits. 

JimR
Instructor

Re: What would you do to avoid owning a PT Cruiser?

Off the top of my head...,

* Complain about the lack of  a gender-neutral bathroom in a biker bar. 

* Order a Kosher ham on rye at a Fallujah street cafe.

* Start a China Shop in downtown Portland Oregon. 
* Buy a year’s supply of drink ice in Flint Michigan. 
* Get drunk enough that a Pontiac Aztek starts looking good. 

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

Really? I joined another group had nothing but harsh words too? No longer there either!

JimR
Instructor

“Really?”  No... it was tongue n cheek. Nobody can get that drunk.

Sorry if I insulted, are you from Portland, Fallujah or Flint?
Suit yourself, I didn’t start the thread nor bump it back from May. And a lot of people don’t appreciate imports like one of my cars, but I’m not pouting.
I am glad you’re not an Aztek fan though. 

spoom
Technician

Comedy 🙂
Guitar74
Gearhead

In response to the person who gave the "snowflake" response about a light hearted joke being "harsh words"; Really? So in your mind, comedy is harsh. It's a joke. I am thinking that growing another layer of skin would help you immensely. Another thought would be removing that sti.....Sorry. That one would DEFINITELY have been categorized as harsh.

Guitar74
Gearhead

Love it!
Jack_Hagerty

As the owner (and racer) of multiple Neons, I think a PT Cruiser would be an improvement! PTs frequently donate their front brakes to SCCA and NASA Neons, by the way. 

nikberg
Pit Crew

Back in the day I was road testing one for Top Gear magazine and rolled it twice on a skid pan. Every panel took a hit, all the glass smashed, no airbags deployed, but at least it landed back on its wheels. For reasons too complicated to mention I had Doodles, the dog from the Tweenies in the back and it took hours to get all the glass fragments out of his fur. I think it's safe to say that I would never own a PT Cruiser.

hyperv6
Gearhead

Just buy a HHR SS.

I was not an HHR fan, not a FWD fan and I hated Turbo engines. But after one drive I was sold on the car. 

I needed a small wagon at the time and I owned it 10 years with no regrets.

The HHR SS was a well done performance car on a cheap platform. The GM turbo upgrade really made a fun car just a blast with 23 psi of boost. 

I did have to sell it as I needed a truck. But I still hold a spot in my heart for my 13 second 26 city 31 highway daily driver. 

hyperv6
Gearhead

Just buy a HHR SS.

I was not an HHR fan, not a FWD fan and I hated Turbo engines. But after one drive I was sold on the car. 

I needed a small wagon at the time and I owned it 10 years with no regrets.

The HHR SS was a well done performance car on a cheap platform. The GM turbo upgrade really made a fun car just a blast with 23 psi of boost. 

I did have to sell it as I needed a truck. But I still hold a spot in my heart for my 13 second 26 city 31 highway daily driver. 

it is a shame this drive line was not used in a G6.