cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slombard
Hagerty Employee

What's your ideal three-car collection?

What three classic/special-use vehicles would you put in your dream garage? Maybe it's a trio of identical '68 Camaros. Maybe it's a Massey-Ferguson 135, a Buick LeSabre, and a Ferrari Daytona. Or an Olds Aerotech, Lunar Rover, and Ducati Diana. Whatever your tastes, tell us what constitutes your ideal happy place. 

Two Shelbys and a McLaren walk into a garage...Two Shelbys and a McLaren walk into a garage...

87 REPLIES 87
Pepperalls
Detailer

The hot rod, the truck, the family cruiser.

Right now the hot rod is a 69 Mustang coupe with a built (mildly) engine. I would give that slot to something teens/twenties/30s though --but can't decide if I want a retro distance racer, something more Ed Roth, or a street legal 30s coupe in stock-car trim.

The truck will one day be a 69 GMC replicating and replacing my long-gone first wheels. In the short term I have been actively scouting out 70s to 90s shortboxes. Got rid of my truck a few years ago and have regretted it since.

The family cruiser... the spouse loves the 62-66 full size Pontiacs. I like the 73-76 Cutlasses but am not winning that one it seems. Spouse's father used to have a 96 Impala SS so we have thought about revisiting that tradition. The later Mercury Marauders could also work.

Good thing you only asked for top 3. Give me 5-10 slots I could name them easy.

slombard
Hagerty Employee

That's a great list. I think three cars really makes you consider how you'd use them. Question: What's a retro distance racer?
Pepperalls
Detailer

retro-distance racer could be a variety of things: Aloha Wanderwell's world-travelling model T, British cars like Austin 7s that did off road racing, big touring cars turned into racecars that did things like desert overland rally racing.

Something that I drive by a bunch of kids and the supervising adult says "Oh that is a 100 year old antique car it must be on a tour out of a museum". And then I turn onto the 4x4 trail drive it right through the muck and minds are blown.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/10/14/a-brass-era-race-car-that-never-really-retired-the-yello...

Bryan
Hagerty Employee

out with friends - Bronco Restomod w/Coyote 5.0 - performance under iconic styling, a little kid dream car come to life

date night - mint early 50s Chevy 3100 - tangible option to slow life down at the end of a long day, plus regular cab magic, and it's best-looking pickup on the planet

zooming alone - any new McLaren, if it's grippy i'm not picky

mtdug
New Driver

69 Charger Daytona

77 black trans am special edition t-top

C8 Z06

smorty
New Driver

Tri-tri-five

55-57 (your choice)

2 door post

Cameo

Nomad

F360Spider
Intermediate Driver

My ideal car collection would feature a gated 360 Spider (have that), a classic American muscle car like a '67 Vette and a spare 360 Spider to use as a parts car.

F360-Side-View-Sunny.jpg

Eric
Hagerty Employee

i applaud the commitment and honesty of this answer!

For me, it would have to be a big, spacious one to bring all the friends along, a tiny road carver, and something gorgeous.

THE HAULER: Volvo Amazon

THE CARVER: late 60s Mini Cooper S with the 1275 and the twin fuel tanks

THE BEAUTY: Porsche 356

RSorenson1
Pit Crew

It's nice to see a Ferrari that isn't red. That's a beauty.

Grace
Hagerty Employee

I'd fulfill the holy trinity of vehicle categories: truck, wagon, Corvette. 

Truck: as much fun as taking on all the bro-spec, triple-black Rams would be, the dream is a 1970s Dodge or GMC. LS-swapped restomod welcome. 

Wagon: Volvo. Duh. 

Corvette: Eternally torn between a C3 and a C5. 

Stang16
New Driver

Three cars that I once owned and wish I had never sold.

’58 Impala Convertible

’67 Ferrari 330

’90 Acura NSX

I’d love to have them back for my dream garage

djslocker
New Driver

1929 Hudson Sedan - original / unrestored and excellent condition. Shade under 20k miles.  Check

1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief - Solid body / Mechanically restored.  Check

2005/2006 BMW E46 M3 - Interlagos blue - competition pack. Manual or SMG...I'm not picky.  Still dreaming

Yenko77
New Driver

Difficult question

but pretty happy with the current threesome

1- 1966 Yenko stinger -

the best family sports car ( I put the rear seat back in it)

2- 1969 Jaguar E type roadster - classic date night

3- 1986 Toyota HJ60 diesel- reliable 4x4 fun

does the crew cab dually tow rig count?

jrmedsel
New Driver

My current collection is a 1958 Edsel retractable hardtop, a 1968 International 3/4 ton pickup, and my daily driver is a 1971 Mercedes 300 SEL.  All are driven and used regularly.

70sKid
Pit Crew

My automotive dreams don’t grow overly elaborate or too exotic. Assuming that I can hang on to my current dream car - a 2005 Honda S2000 in Grand Prix White over a black & tan interior (I absolutely love this car), the following 3 would be my picks:

First up some classic American Muscle in the form of a 1970 1/2 Camaro Z/28 (I’ve owned a ‘67 base convertible in the past so it would be nice to try moving on up one generation). Make mine a 4-speed manual in green (either Green Mist or Forest Green) with a black interior.

Next up, I would stay in the Honda family (what can I say, I’m a big fan) – a 1960’s S800. While an early model with IRS and chain drive would be incredibly cool I would likely opt for a a later model S800M with LHD. I love rag-tops and would choose this configuration when it comes the S800. Make mine Ivory White (as red is to Italian sports cars and silver is to German sports cars, white is to Japanese sports cars — it just doesn’t get any better than that for me). As with the S2000, the S800 was only offered with a manual transmission (as it should be).

Finally, while I could be easily be tempted by a 1st generation NA1 Acura NSX, and no doubt would love the driving AND the ownership experience, at the end of the day a supercar just isn’t my style (not even one where Ayrton Senna played a role in the chassis tuning).

With that in mind my third choice would be an early Datsun Z car. I’m the kind of guy that likes to keep my cars all-original (or at least “all-stock”) so in this case I would likely choose an early 240Z— the so called cream of the crop Z cars and by far the best looking of the lot. Equip mine with a 4-speed manual and again, make mine white if possible. But I am also pretty fond of a few of those other 70’s colors that really popped.

Great question, it was fun playing along.
tadg47
Pit Crew

Top of my list is an early Jaguar XKE coupe - it's only the most beautiful car in the world (per Enzo Ferrari).

Next is an original (no kit) Shelby Corba with the 289 in blue with white stripes - of course.

Lastly is a 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 two door hardtop.  It's big, heavy, loaded with goodies and was the first car I owned.

meyerfarm
New Driver

2019 Ford Raptor (Utility)

1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible (Luxury)

1965 Comet Cyclone w/ 289 Hi-Po or 427 (Hot Rod)

LugNut
Pit Crew

Geez, only three?  Well, here's what I'd put in my very special 3-car garage:

1966 Shelby GT 350, candy apple red with no body stripe, preferably the one I bought new in November 1966 then sold a couple years later to buy a Lotus.

1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Super - the homologation special of the Giulia Super sedan.  I'd even sell the Super I have now to get room for a TI Super. 

1969 Lotus Elan +2 - sexiest Lotus ever!

Kurtbob
New Driver

1963 Ferrari California Spider

Aston Martin One-77

Lamborghini Miura

Need4Speed
New Driver

I already have my three car collection comprised of my childhood dream car of a 1965 A/C Shelby Cobra 427 (replicar, but at least I can drive mine), and on the opposite side of the spectrum, a first edition Jaguar F-Type "R" (same 550 HP as the Cobra, but with all the technological goodies and creature comforts) and my wife's limited edition Halle Berry 007 James Bond Thunderbird (looks like a Barbie car in Coral). Soon I will top off my collection with the first mid-engine C8 Corvette Stingray in Sebring Orange with after market scissor doors. Livin' (and drivin') the dream!

StanF512
Pit Crew

1971 Trans Am - would keep mostly original, but upgrade suspension.  Other options would be ~1970 Corvette Stingray or ~1965-67 Mustang Fastback GT350

43549_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

1950 Willys Pickup - full restomod and slightly lifted

50.Truck_Chuck_Robilio.jpg

1967 Jeepster - because everyone needs a convertible.  Full restomod and slight lifted

5bf49e86d9431.jpg

griff
New Driver

A 1957 Corvette, a Jaguar XKE, any year, and a 1934 Ford two door sedan (the Bonnie and Clyde car).  Of all the cars I've owned and presently own, those would be the ones I'd like to have!

Bob1
New Driver

It's getting a bit repetitious, but three of the 4 cars in my little stable are all marvelous, and remarkable, in their own way:

'71 E-Type roadster,

'08 Aston Martin V8 Vantage MANUAL roadster,

'05 Honda S2000.

( The fourth is a '95 Honda Beat, but I digress...)

SueL-rochester
New Driver

Mercedes-Benz 280 SE - have a '72, love the front end.

'32-'36 Pierce-Arrow - classic early (ish) car

A Buggati.  any of them. This doesn't need explanation. 🙂

Richard1
Pit Crew

I already started my collection with the first being a 1973 Ford Maverick with a 302 V8, 1 of 23 according to the Marti Report, a recently acquired a 1967 Pontiac LeMans convertible, and the third want is a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Restomod!IMG_5457.JPGIMG_6007.JPG

Numberscruncher
Intermediate Driver

Three, huh?

The first two are easy, since I already have them.

1. 1964.5 Ford Mustang 260, Wimbledon White and Red interior. All OEM Spec.

2. 2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Ruby Red w 50th Anniv. Appearance Package. 

As for #3...

Since I'm single and my kids are grown, I have no need for a family hauler, and I have NO desire/need for a Truck or SUV...

I guess #3 would be either a mid 60s fully equipped Lincoln Continental in Black, or a 1957 Ford Thunderbird fully equipped convertible, in Black with a matching Hardtop, for "dressier" occasions. 

jbarone01
Pit Crew

If money were no object (but usually is), then I think I would start off with a Ferrari F50 removable Hard Top Convertible; followed by a Mercedes-Benz SL-300 Gull Wing; and last would be a 67 Big Block 427 Corvette Coupe loaded with all options. That would cover the range of amazing cars from different vintages and decades.
DeanH
Pit Crew

Bill Thomas Continuation Cheetah, 62 Ferrari GTO, 60s Mini Cooper Panel Wagon with a pair of big clown shoes in the back and a rubber nose hanging from the rear view mirror.

JDull139
New Driver

#1-1963 Ford Galaxie 427/4speed "fastback"

#2-1969 Rambler SC/RAMBLER

#3-1957 Corvette dual quads/4 speed

Pretty diverse group?

DJT
New Driver

I know this is mainly an American site, but Hagerty has included us Brits in as well, so here are my three.

A Supercharged 1948 MGTC

A Jaguar Series 111 V12 Roadster

An Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante.IMG_6596.JPGIMG_5571.JPGIMG_8571.JPG

I own all three. I do own other British cars, 10 to be precise, but these are special.

Douglas

Unbalanced
Pit Crew

How to fill my dream three car garage? My dream would be to have a three car garage.

But given current space limitations I already own my dream trio:

The hot rod: Santa Cruz Blur XC mountain bike

The cruiser: Haibike SDURO Cross ebike

The truck: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata ( it hauls a lot more than the other two, especially with the top down.)

rbbob
Pit Crew

• Audi R8
  • Ferrari 308
  • 1957 MGA
Hal
Pit Crew

67 Corvette 427 convertible with stinger hood and side pipes. Ford GT. Shelby Cobra. Life would be complete. 

Tom9716
Pit Crew

I currently have two of my three faves.

1) 1971 Camaro SS350

I consider myself really fortunate that I was able to keep the Camaro that I bought new in 1971 for all these years. With only 36k miles, it’s never needed to be restored. I see it parked in my garage everyday and it never fails to bring a smile.

2) 2015 Porsche Cayman S

I special ordered it in 2015 and it’s my first mid-engined sports car. I may be keeping this one a long time, too.

3) 1967 Corvette - 427 With Tri-Power

I couldn’t afford one in 1967 and that situation hasn’t changed now. But, when I win the lottery...

Catpro
New Driver

Hooligan: 1966 GT350

Beast: Ford Raptor F150

Beauty: Jaguar XK140 convertible

Seisen
New Driver

1965 Pontiac GTO 3 deuces 4 speed coupe (had one)

Porsche Boxster 987 Spyder

1969 Chevy C10 350 

tpkrods
New Driver

Well the first 2 are easy as I currently own and enjoy them; a 68 Shelby GT-350 and a 68 Hemi GTX, 2 different cars for 2 very different driving moods. #3 presents a problem as I have so many "wish I hads". I would dearly love to have my 67 Vette roadster back and I wouldn't say no to a Cobra (289 or 427 no preference) or an 04 to 06 Ford GT. I could go on and on because there are so many great choices out there and none of them are wrong. I don't want to bore your readers any more than I already have sooooo - the GT gets the nod to occupy the non existent bay in my garage. Somehow that seems appropriate as it's highly unlikely that it will ever happen.

Cheers to you all.

JAttilaH
New Driver

My current cars are:

• 2000 M Coupe (Dakar Yellow) that I bought new
  • 2005 996 Turbo S
  • 2020 XC60 Polestar (wife's)

My dream garage:

• 2000 M Coupe (as long as I can still drive, my forever car)
  • 2020 992 Turbo S (Speed Yellow)
  • Very customized UNIMOG Restomod
  • (Alternate) 328 GTS
  • (Alternate) Campagne T-Rex
  • (Alternate) Exige
  • (Alternate) Morgan 3-Wheeler

Really though, there are tons of less expensive cars I have had before that I want again.

• '94 RX-7
  • '95 Legend Coupe
  • '73 Torino
  • '96 300ZX Turbo (seriously thinking of getting one as a DD)

And something completely off the wall, I'd love a '57 Chevy Nomad Restomod.

Yeah, that's a lot more than three cars. My three car garage isn't enough. I need a warehouse and a lot more money! 

70sMuscle
New Driver

Nothing but Mopars!

A 73 Challenger, a 71 Barracuda and a 69 Charger.

cdipietroliveca
New Driver

So if it's only 3...and living where we get all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same day...they gotta be fun and practical at same time...

1) Porsche 911 Carrera S4 Cabriolet...manual to keep things interesting...hope the roof is well insulated for 6 months of the year! Great for date nights, spontaneous touring and beating others into parking spots at the mall;) Seeing as how my Better Half would always have the keys to this, I would also want...

2) Dodge Durango R/T 6 Passenger, with a 6.4 Hemi Upgrade...cannot make good use of all the other Durango SRT features here in the GTA so just more power please...for hauling people or stuff, this daily driver can't be beat...tows great too! And to finish...

3) Chev/GMC 3/4 Ton Diesel 4WD CrewCab PickUp...no household should be without one...they last forever with next to no headaches...they get WHATEVER job needs to be done DONE...plain and simple.

Now...back to work...thanks for the mental break Hagerty!

merlebalke
Intermediate Driver

Corvette C8 in Accelerate Yellow with Midnight Gray racing stripes.

2020 Mustang Bullitt edition.

1968 Chevelle 300 two door post in Cordovan Maroon. L79 4 speed.

gringo
New Driver

New Ford GT.

New Ford Raptor.

New Ford Bronco.

Re-occurring  theme is New!

Just finished a FFR Daytona Cobra, enough wrenching for this summer.

Nolan52
New Driver

1952 Ford F100 Stock with Flathead V8 and 4 0n the floor, 1968 Shelby Convertible GT 500 KR, 1972 De Tomaso Pantera.

Gen2rt
New Driver

Race car for the street:  Ford GT to replace my Rossion Q1

American muscle:  1970 Hemi Cuda to replace my 2016 Shelby GT350

carefree go-cart sports car:  Porsche 914 (I’ve had 2)

rjb53
New Driver

Slit window Corvette (Silver); Series 1 E Type Jaguar Convertible; Jaguar XK8 (X100) Convertible which is my current ride of choice.

TerryE30
New Driver

1) 1966 GT350

2) 1982 FJ40

3) 1991 M3

carguy
New Driver

Ferrari GTO (early 60s) 

Lamborghini Muira (later model) 

Maserati Ghibli spider (later model) 

RightofPlumb
New Driver

1987 Mercedes 190 2.3-16.

1997 Volvo 850R wagon.

1967 Mustang GT .

If I were more wealthy, there would be more cars and Trucks.

Jack44
New Driver

Ferrari 275 GTB/4 NART SPIDER
Ferrari 275 GTB/C Special
Ferrari 275 GTB Scaglietti