cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

What's the possibility of me being able to afford a 914 at 16?

I understand this is a pipe dream and nothing more, but damnit a boy can dream. I'm 14, currently making $8 an hour at McDonalds. Nothing fabulous, but it's cash I wasn't making before hand. I have this goal of buying my own car once I hit 16. I already have a family car, in the form of a 5-speed Golf my mother got my older brothers and I in January. I hope this summer I can quit and work more or less full time at a local swim club. Assuming I'm gonna be working the legal limit of a 40 hour work week (5 days x 8 Hours). Going with the fact I'd be raking in $8, and if I work from the third week in June to the first week of September, I can potentially rake in $3200. Adding with the money I have in the bank from my bar mitzvah, which is about $7000, I've got a question to ask. 

What's the possibility of me owning a 914 at 16?

9 REPLIES 9
Sajeev
Community Manager

Hey Sam! From my scanning on internet classified postings, finding a running and driving 914 for under 10 grand is gonna be challenging.  Probably impossible, unless the seller takes a shine to you and makes a conscious decision to lose money selling to you. And then you're gonna have a good time trying to make it reliable, as odds are the previous owner didn't drive it as much as you will. 

Darold
Hagerty Employee

I think I agree with Sajeev here, its going to be a real challenge to get into one at that budget, especially 2 years from now. Where I would start is, what draws you to the 914? Is it the "classic" aspect? The "sportiness"? Knowing what you want out of a car can help you cross shop a little, and will give people looking to help a broader range to work with. 

SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

What draws me to the 914 is the mid-engined four cylinder and looks. The 914 just looks so unique and sporty. It doesn't look like a 911, it doesn't look like an MR2, it just looks like a 914. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

While understandable, none of that is really beneficial for someone's only and first car. You're gonna be stuck with a lawn ornament that you can't afford to fix on your budget/savings. Stick with stuff from the 90s or 00s. 

TheFlash300
Pit Crew

Here is a 5k Porsche 914, https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/newark-1970-porsche-914/7282008542.html Exactly as you are warning about Sajeev.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh boy!  Yeah that about lines up with what I saw too, thank you @TheFlash300

TheFlash300
Pit Crew

You would be better served looking for a Porsche 944 around 5k in running shape, if its the brand you are after. There are many sports cars that can be reasonably found in the 5k price range, which is a safe price to start at, allowing money to be spent on replacing suspension, ignition and brake components that are necessary safety items.

CitationMan
Technician

Sam,

I agree with Sajeev, start your search in the 1990’s. I would look for a Mazda Miata that’s mechanically sound. A Porsche 914 will cost you too much to maintain. But the most important thing, the Miata will make you a better driver. Good luck!

Darold
Hagerty Employee

I know there tends to be some resistance to "Miata is always the answer"(even when its true), but there are some other great options that are a little less conventional. You mentioned not liking MR2s, but they are wonderful, and you might be able to swing a later MR-S at that budget. If you want to stay with targa/convertibles, the Honda Del Sol and late 80s/early90s Mercury Capri are both great. The Del Sol can be had with a B-series engine and the Capri with a turbo. You can also go a little further off the beaten path still and find a Honda Beat.