cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What’s the grossest thing you’ve found in your car (aka: the dead rodent thread)

Hagerty Employee

Yup, it’s that time of year! When you get to find out what decided to hibernate in your exhaust manifold. In case the title didn’t tip you off, there will be discussion of dead things in this post. If you don’t like reading about that sort of thing, you know, don’t. 

I rolled my Miata out of the garage this morning. Planned on an oil change and general inspection. When I opened the door, it smelled, um, not nice, but I soon got distracted by what seemed like a major mechanical issue — car was stalling out within seconds of starting.

After 30 mins of tinkering I determined I’d forgotten to reconnect the mass-airflow sensor (Miatas are boring like that). The engine was running smoothly, but now I heard a buzzing—flies swirling around the small cabin. I still didn’t think much of it. Been raining here and the bugs are out. I went ahead with my normal interior cleaning.

That’s when I noticed the poop.

On the armrest, head rest, dash board. Uh oh. I put gloves on and gingerly pull out every item. Finally, the kitty litter jar, which I use to keep the moisture down. Only, there’s no kitty litter. Just a small, not very fresh mouse who must not have realized he was checking into hotel California (you can check out any time you like/but you can never leave).

I handled it like the man I am, which is to say I squealed loud enough to scare the neighbors then hastily dumped the jar in the trash, where the mouse is interred this evening if anyone would like to pay respects. 

Anyone else deal with this sort of thing? I want to hear about it. Maybe. 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: What’s the grossest thing you’ve found in your car (aka: the dead rodent thread)

Pit Crew

A payment book.. .

Highlighted

Re: What’s the grossest thing you’ve found in your car (aka: the dead rodent thread)

Hagerty Employee

Do you really want to know, David?

Highlighted

New Driver

Not gross, really....but I did find a couple old vials of hash oil in the lip of the underside of the dashboard on the '73 Dart Sport I owned more than a few years ago...... 🙂

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

The previous owners crusty nasal contents adjacent to the seat adjust. After that, I not only had to clean that mess but also my stomach contents.

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

Didn't intend to gross anybody out but the truth is the truth. It was an Opel Kadet that I bought with my own money at 15 yrs old, earned pumping gas at the local AAA gas station. It lasted till my senior year in school. Then I graduated (school and cars) to a ford Pinto that lasted through my stint in the U.S. Navy.  My best bud also bought a Valiant slant 6 the same day from the same guy. Either he had a stronger stomach than me or the past owner had a hankie handy! Actually the Opel was a better car and stomped my buds slat six.

Highlighted

New Driver

Gramps gave me his 1980 Cadillac.  No rodents. Coffee can under the front seat full of pee.

Highlighted

New Driver
A used condom.

Intermediate Driver

Honest truth.  Bought a car from the police auction.  Inside, was the previous owner's strap-on dildo covered in lube.

Highlighted

Pit Crew

Having been a used imported car dealer for over 60 years, where do I start?

Here's a few. 

Getting ready to restore a 1950 Riley 2.5, I found a parts car in St. Louis and had it trucked in. It arrived and wasn't a bad car but smelled gross. On the back of the driver seat was a map pocket. Sticking out of it was the remains of a cat that chased a mouse into the pocket. It had the mouse in its mouth but couldn't extricate itself from the pocket. God knows how long it had been there. 

I often buy cars in Florida. I fly with my wife to pick them up and spend a few days, sort of a working vacation, and often invite friends along. I bought a Honda HR-V with low miles and nice. Quite happy with it but I kept seeing motion out of the corner of my eye. I couldn't see anything when looking closely. This went on for a week in Florida plus a couple of days to drive home. After I got back to my business we took the car apart to detail and under each of the covers over the bolts holding down the seats was a nest of roaches. We took the seats and carpets out and thoroughly cleaned them all but I never told my wife and friends what they had been sitting in for days.

I bought an old Cadillac at an auction about 100 miles away for a friend who also was a dealer. I drove it back for him but was embarrassed since it was a pink metallic with oversize wheels that looked like a drug dealer's car but that's what he dealt in.  As I drove along the freeway I felt the center armrest and found a slit in the armrest side. Idly sticking my fingers in I found a loaded nickle-plated .38 snub-nose revolver. I guess it didn't just look like a drug dealer car, it was.

There are lots more but these are ones that stick out in my mind.