cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Torino
Advanced Driver

?- what is your favorite automotive related song lyric

not song but lyric. me, i'm going with 'jesus built my hotrod'- ministry. if you need help/ inspiration try 'the reverend horton heat'. galaxy 500 is a good place to start.

44 REPLIES 44
Sajeev
Community Manager

Not sure, but the first one that came to my mind was Sir Mix-A-Lot's "My Hooptie". 

Torino
Advanced Driver

must withdraw my opening comment. #1 " i've got a thunderbird parked right outside" - robert palmer . bonnie raits version of that song  'your gonna get whats coming' dosen't suck either

spoom
Technician

I like big blocks, I will not lie...
JimR
Instructor

One is too slow and the other too fast.

So no matter which car I choose  ”I can’t drive 55” (Sammy Hagar)

spoom
Technician

Great song for those of us who went through it, and good story from Sammy on how he came to write it.
Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Ditto
JamesFee
Pit Crew

I've always liked Don Felder's Heavy Metal (from the movie of the same name):

Drive it on up and let's cruise a while
Leave your troubles far behind
You can hedge your bet on a clean Corvette
To get you there right on time
Now if you're ready to dive into overdrive
Baby, the green lights are on
It's like you're running your brain on some high octane
Every time she reaches fully blown

[Chorus]
Won't you take that ride on heavy metal?
It's the only way that you can travel down that road
Satisfied on heavy metal
Baby won't you ride, ride it until it explodes

Heavy metal

[Verse 2]
My oh my, how this lady can fly
Once she starts rollin' beneath you
You know you just can't lose, the way she moves
You wait for her to finally release you
It's not a big surprise to feel your temperature rise
You've got a touch of redline fever
'Cause there is just one cure that we know for sure
You just become a heavy metal believer

JimR
Instructor

👍 Great song! But looking back...goofy movie 👎
JamesFee
Pit Crew

Yes, but possibly not as goofy as I was in '81 <g>
Guitar74
Technician

Highway Star-Deep Purple (Ritchie and John Lord tore that song up when it was Time to burn). 

And since Captain Oblivious (at least that's my wife's nickname for me) didn't properly read the OP:

Nobody gonnna take my car 

Gonna race it to the ground

Nobody gonna beat my car 

It's gonna break the speed of sound

Yep. Used to have that cued up on the old Alpine cassette deck right before the burnout to heat the M&H Race masters. 

Torino
Advanced Driver

again lyric not song. may be included in song - pick your choice from any in ' little deuce coupe' 4 eg. or i'm thinking- ' i took out my revenge on the revolution counter'  you can't ever go wrong with gram parsons but i like dave edmunds cover better to tell you the truth.

mcs1000
Pit Crew

"Crawling From The Wreckage" The Dave Edmunds cover is essentially Rockpile. Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner, & Terry Williams.
Torino
Advanced Driver

u r a well informed man

hyperv6
Technician

East or West bound and down Jerry Reed.

The others worth mentioning Strokers theme Charlie Daniels. 

Rev on the Red Line Foreigner.

Trans Am Sammy Hagar.

While Like a Rock is not about a Truck one can only think Chevy Trucks when it plays. Night moves has a 60 Chevy and also is a Seger winner Bob is so gifted with lyrics. 

Finally a car I got to sit in as a kid. Spirit Of America by The Beach Boys. 

Oh I had to edit this in and I am ashamed I forgot it 

Red Barchetta. By Rush. They classiest car song ever. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Hot rod Lincoln. 1

"When I started to gain on that Cadillac
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't you know by then we'd be low on gas?"

Radar love. 2

"And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear"
"No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go"

Last kiss. 3

"I'll never forget the sound that night
The screamin' tires, the bustin' glass
The painful scream that I heard last."

Nitro

Torino
Advanced Driver

*********stop*********read all instructions before continuing

Guitar74
Technician

I finally re-read it and edited. Captain Oblivious strikes again!!!!!

spoom
Technician

Great choices. Speaking of Golden Earring (and to keep it car-related) also on that album is "Candy's goin' bad". If you have a ride with a good sound system, you will get a speeding ticket.
Torino
Advanced Driver

i said lyric but if you're gonna force my hand - 'diamonds on my windshield' and 'ol 55' both tom waits.

TeutonicScot
Intermediate Driver

1.Radar Love...pick any lyric.

2. "Well the Ferrari couldn't catch her, no, no, the Maserati couldn't take her, the Lotus couldn't shake her, she's a GT Ford.   Jackie & the Giants-Ford GT

3. "Movin' fast, doin' ninety five, I hit top speed but I'm still movin' much too slow...
I feel so good, I'm so alive, I hear my song playin' on the radio.   Kiss-Detroit Rock City.

WRLotus
Detailer

I'll go with the opening lines of the Trooper song "The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car"

"Here they come,

The boys in the bright white sports car.

Wavin' their arms in the air,

Who do they think they are?

And where did they get that car?"

Torino
Advanced Driver

not familiar with to tell you the truth. but reminds me of - " here come the black and whites. here come the motorcycles. riding down the street...johnny copper on parade - randy  newman. baltimore is his best.

WRLotus
Detailer

Canadian, more specifically Vancouver, group so not surprised you haven't heard it. May as well give them a plug anyway. And I'll add a couple of lines from another one of their songs even though not car related

"We're here for a good time,

Not a long time."

Torino
Advanced Driver

" you shoplifted as a child. i had a model smile.you carried all my hopes.until something broke inside" -polly jean  take that!

WRLotus
Detailer

"Because we're in a one act play"

Torino
Advanced Driver

touche.

Torino
Advanced Driver

play / touche .  it rhymes. nobody gets me. a fly in the ointment. 

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

I can't drive 55 by Sammy Hagar.

I hear my little Miata's engine belting it out on my interstate commute to work each morning. 😁

jonZ
Instructor

Jackson Browne: Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels. (Runnin' on empty)

Guitar74
Technician

I was wondering when someone would pull something out of the Ministry archives. I remember the cover of that cassette.

jonZ
Instructor

I have really enjoyed visiting this post. Brings back allot (66 yrs). of good memories. There are so many songs about cars and gear heads and it's hard to pick out the best lyric from them. Another one for me would be  from the band FRONT COUNTRY " Baby come on let's go..... if something breaks we'll fix it on the road..... and fight about it..... on the way home.....She runs hot and she runs cold....It aint perfect Lord knows....,but if something breaks...... we can fix it on the road."    

jonZ
Instructor

Went for a drive today and heard this one (yea on an oldies station) LET IT ROLL by LITTLE FEAT. Looks like this topic is about dead but at least our classic cars and songs are still kickin.

TheFlash300
Pit Crew

90's alternative: Cake - Stickshifts and Safetybelts

Stickshifts and safetybelts

Bucket seats have all got to go

When we're driving in the car

It makes my baby seem so far

Bucket seats have all got to go
When we're driving in the car
It makes my baby seem so far"

Rob1
Instructor

put the pedal to the metal with the top down dreaming Hands on the wheel with the engine screaming remember what you give is what you get Oh it goes by fast it goes by quick if you stand on the sidelines watching it or life will pass you by like a Blue Corvette .Adam Gregory Blue Corvette

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

Steppenwolf

Get your motor runnin’

Head out on the highway

Looking for adventure 

In whatever comes our way

jonZ
Instructor

Take one.....18 wheels spinnin, the race is on and I'm winnin, 18 wheels keep on spinnin round that frisco bay. (Commander Codys Version)

Take two..... Jammin gears has got to be a fever, cause men become addicted to the grind.. ( the one and only Hagard)

Yea I know these are trucker lyrics, but it gets my blood pumpin'

jonZ
Instructor

One more yall.... "Let it roll..... on down the highway" Bachman Turner Overdrive!!!!!!!

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

Another Canadian song:

Life is a highway 

I wanna ride it all night long

If you’re going my way

I wanna drive it all night long

jonZ
Instructor

Golden Earring............."Been drivin all night my hands wet on the wheel". "There's a voice in my head that drives my heel." The whole song and all the lyrics are great. "the road has got me hypnotized and I'm speedin into a new sun rise" Every note and lyric. Heck, I'm about to go for a burn and listen again!!

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

“... and it’s half past four and I’m shifting gear”

That’s a perfect song.

jonZ
Instructor

Yea man. It get's me going even when I aint in the car. Kathy Matea's version of 455 Rocket does it for me also. "who's junk pile piece of sh---------velle is this"  her phrasing not mine. I personally like chevys. Hang in there. She's got a video out there somewhere.

jonZ
Instructor

Coming back to the house I decided to turn off the tunes. Just listening to the  289 exhaust thru the Tri-Y's and flow masters was enough for me. Music to my ears! Might go back to the Cherry Bombs one day.

jonZ
Instructor

well here I sit..all alone with a broken heart...I took three bennies.....and my semi truck won't start. Commander Cody!

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

Little Feat:

And I’ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

Driven every kind of rig that’s ever been made

Driven the backroads so I wouldn’t get weighed

And if you give me; weed, whites, and wine

And you show me a sign

I’ll be willin’, to be movin’