cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel
Hagerty Employee

We’re on a mission to get more people shifting gears

Help us reach our goal of teaching 500 drivers in 50 days how to drive a manual!

004 - 20171104-WSM_3789.jpg

There’s nothing like driving a stick shift – feeling the gears change, connecting with the car and the road – and we’re on a mission to get more people experiencing that excitement.

It all starts on National Stick Shift Day (July 16). We’ll be kicking off the day at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, celebrating 10 years of the Hagerty Driving Experience (our program designed to teach young drivers how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission)!

You can take part no matter where you are, anytime from July 16 – Sept. 3 - here's how:

• Spend an hour with someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual - a family member, a friend or neighbor - and give them a lesson (see the attached 'manual manual' as a reference guide)
  • Reply to this post with a photo from the experience (Photo attaching tutorial here)
  • We’ll follow up with you via direct message for your address so we can send you two of our '3 Pedals, No Problem' hats from The Shop. Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipping. 

Thank you for joining the fun - Never Stop Driving! 

839 REPLIES 839
mikeramsey
New Driver

Got the Westfalia out to teach sister in law and nephew the fine art of the stick shift!  Both took to it very well.  If you can drive a VW manual, you can drive most anything I think.  Was great fun to run around the farm and back country roads.  Thanks for this! 

Tevii
New Driver

I'm in

Dart1962
New Driver

Keeps saying my HTML is invalid. Please PM me on how to get things to post. I already did the tutorial. Thanks!

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

If it's easier, feel free to email the photo to rventimiglia@hagerty.com and include your address. Thanks so much!

beeser
Detailer

I wonder if I can get my wife behind the wheel of our '94 GMC C7000 Topkick 26-foot box truck. Caterpillar 3116 with an Eaton/Fuller 6-speed. Truly an "if you can drive this, you drive anything" kind of vehicle....

Millenial anti-theft device? The manual transmission. 😉

bullitt1011
Pit Crew

Rachel what type of picture do you need? My son is Syked to learn. Like others have posted my son does not have 10 yrs experience so is not insurable on my mustang. Can I teach him in a parking lot no issues with my insurance? Can we submit video or only pictures? Cannot wait to teach him of course we will have to get him his own car not ready to let him on the roads with my bullitt

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Teaching in an empty parking lot is the perfect spot - any photo from the experience would be great! We appreciate it!

Seeligdan
New Driver

Gave my daughter Robin a lesson in my 59' Porsche 356A. She did great!thumbnail_IMG_4884.jpg

gordon
Pit Crew

Brilliant idea! I’ll be taking my God son who, when I suggested he have a drive of my race car told me “I’m not to good with a stick shift”. I said in reply two things: First,  in the country (Australia) we don’t drive “stick shifts”, we drive “manuals” & second if you can’t drive a manual you’re missing a whole driving experience. Yr challenge renews the challenge! Thanks

crarod68
New Driver

teaching daughter to drive stick!teaching daughter to drive stick!

Teaching my daughter to drive my Toyota Tacoma that has 6-speed transmission.

JDLOC
New Driver

Teaching my wife a 6 speed.Teaching my wife a 6 speed.

memail
New Driver

Tried posting this earlier, but I don’t think it went through !... This is my son in my 76 Triumph TR-6 getting prepped for the trip up the street to a nearby parking lot to lean what that 3rd pedal is for ! 3 pedals, no problem... I Hope !  Hope this qualifies for the hats - He’s excited.

170E93A1-A0F8-42F7-A41C-ABBCE67D0124.png

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Thanks - it qualifies! Since we just officially kicked this off today, you can expect a follow up next week for your address. 

Cycle_Collector
New Driver

I just gave my step daughter a lesson in driving stick in my dad's Mini Cooper S with 6-speed.  We started out in a empty parking lot to get the feel of the friction point of the clutch.  Once having that figured out, she tried shifting gears.  Then we took it out on a side road and she got up in to 3rd and 4th.  Finally, we tried crossing a fairly busy road.  She struggled a little here and choked it off a couple times.  I told her to be patient and wait for a nice opening.  By that time, a car was now waiting behind us and the pressure was building.  I was actually getting sort of nervous at that point, but held on to my faith that she could do it.  She did and I was so happy for her.  At that point, she decided she had enough for today.  It was an awesome first lesson and I hope she is now open to a stick shift as she starts looking for her next car.  She was excited to give it a try.She was excited to give it a try.She was focused when we moving even though I was goofing around a bitShe was focused when we moving even though I was goofing around a bitShe did great!!

donhinds
New Driver

12.PNG11.PNG10.PNG

CDeRose67Beetle
New Driver

What a FANTASTIC idea.  My 17 y/o son has been wanting to learn to drive / drive a stick since we got my Pop's 67 Beetle back on the road after a 34 year nap.  We did the sitting still review and procedure bit and went to Jones beach State park to give it a try.  He is the one by the driver's door.  Not bad for a first go.

Training Day.jpg

FancyVW
New Driver

48C8F5C1-5FCB-4705-9E8D-EA0CF339F524.jpeg

Learning slow and steady on an MK6 GTI!

JMP
Intermediate Driver

Once you learn, you never forget.Once you learn, you never forget.

Finglish
New Driver

7B44A4AE-E158-4A1D-A65A-8DFBD38C9287.jpeg

Hi Rachel, here’s a quick picture of me going through the basics of stick shift with my son in our forester— not quite ready for the triumph yet…

RTK
New Driver

Taught my son to drive a manual 944 in the safety of our home community and at a quiet time at a local airport.  He's learned the joy of 3 pedal skills and driving a classic (no electronic nannies) vehicle!I think he's getting really attached to the 944...I think he's getting really attached to the 944...Enjoying the 3 pedal ability!Enjoying the 3 pedal ability!

Medgas
New Driver

Marianne driving 59.jpg

Teaching my daughter how to drive a stick in my 59 Corvette that I have owned since 1977. As always it was a lot of fun to watch someone use a clutch for the first time. 

KZee
Pit Crew

Learned on a VW Beetle and then got to drive a '60 Corvette on a road trip... a bit scary. Lucky Daughter! Good luck, great looking machine!

johnlangmaid
Pit Crew

My sons helped me resurrect my '04 focus svt from long term barn storage so that they could learn to drive stick before heading to college (undergrad and grad school).  We'd tried with my oldest son several years earlier-but it's not the easiest to learn on with the stiff clutch and rev happy Cosworth.  Youngest will need a few more lessons, but the oldest is getting pretty confident.aaajohn1.jpgaaajames1.jpgaaajohn2.jpgaaajames2.jpg

youngomar
New Driver

My wife and I took our nephew out and he drove our '59 MGA - that his grandfather restored. Not just a manual but no Synchromesh for 1st gear! He also drove our '73 B GT - sorry no photo of that - so he would understand how different one clutch can be from another. He went through some turns just downshifting, no braking!

IMG_20210715_195355057.jpg

crthomas888
New Driver

Great idea!  

Here's my son before a stick lesson in our Toyota PickupScreen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.12.18 AM.png

blairchal
New Driver

I'm teaching my daughter Danielle the term "Grace Space and Pace" in our 1961 Jaguar MK2  5 speed (Toyota transmission conversion). She's a quick learner partially because this Old CatIMG_8433.JPG is a dream to drive.

Danielle in MK2 7-16-21.jpgIMG_8901.JPG

IBuildemBig
Pit Crew

Great!  I'm in!  I've taught over a dozen people the fun of shifting for themselves, but the BEST story was my friend Carey, who got on the list for the FIRST Boxter, and had never driven a stick before.  He took delivery of it and had it delivered to his parking garage in Manhattan NYC.  on the appointed day, he calls me and says, uh, you gotta come get me, cause i can't drive out of NYC!  But of course!  So we get him and the car back to Bergen County NJ, right across the GWBridge to a nice big empty parking lot - with a hill!  Bonus!  after a couple of hours i realize he will be replacing the clutch in about 400 miles at the rate he was going, and my patience was right around Zero!  So i called my loving, patient wife and she joined us.  Calmly talking him through it.  calmness is not my strength!  He *mostly* got the hang of it and it was time to head back to the city.  i took the wheel and showed him exactly what his new car was designed to do!  What a blast!

claman
New Driver

I trust my wife to learn to drive my C7, 7-speed manual on Stick Shift Day.

IMG_0549.JPG

Rickc115
New Driver

image000000.jpg

I'm teaching my wife how to drive my 1966 VW Beetle. 

KZee
Pit Crew

Great car to learn on. Only from now on if you ever kill the battery, she'll make you push, because you taught her how to shift. 

Flamingo
New Driver

Now send us those hats so that we can wear them with pride! 😉😄Driving stick.jpg 

lowlifewagonz
New Driver

E5FEEA69-4555-4158-A853-4CE222C44EF2.jpegTaught my daughter to drive stick on our Fiat Abarth! Quick learner, took two hours and now she’s got it down, even the hills and freeway driving! Proud Dad Moment 😄

BobVH
New Driver

20210715_174914.jpg

 Learning to drive a stick this morning on our 57 Ranchero!

chrisn28
New Driver

Learning to drive stick!Learning to drive stick!

When I was 15, my father took me to an old airfield near where we lived and taught me how to drive stick on a Dodge van.  In the years since, I  have owned many manual-transmission vehicles, and have taught my wife and numerous friends how to drive stick at that same location.  My son is now at the right age, and so I took him over to the airfield this morning and taught him.  I was excited to pass the tradition down, and I believe he is a natural 🙂

grandprix231
New Driver

IMG_20160710_130357482_HDR.jpgWhen your only 'stick car' is a 2014 Mustang GT/CS. Not ideal, but she got the hang of it

1970VWpanel
Pit Crew

781F87F3-AD82-407A-A268-D4F9BA677539.jpeg

91EDB1A8-C5EB-40A3-A4B2-A843E1C6874F.jpeg

 1970VWpanel / 3 pedals no     problem. my son has always wanted to drive the bus. This gave me a chance to let him get the feel of a manual. Fun stuff 

Kmcmil
New Driver

508776A1-3B3D-4EB6-9025-0B1D2A0C00D7.jpeg

 First day with drivers permit!

BP
New Driver

Hi Rachel, What a fantastic idea!  As I senior citizen, I realize that someday my cars have to go to someone else.  Why not teach someone how to drive a stick.  Maybe this way, if they learn, they would be interested in keeping a car they inheirt.  If fact, I thought it was such a great idea, I decided to try to teach 2 people.  I have enclosed the 2 pictures.  One seems to be an easier student.  Hope I can give them both a hat.  ThanksJust learning   "280zx"Just learning "280zx"2006 Mustang Convertible  "Quick Learner"2006 Mustang Convertible "Quick Learner"

LayneMiata
New Driver

0BFBC084-5049-4EFB-BCCA-CD34B3FF8F85.jpeg

Importsmasher
New Driver

My daughter turned 16 today! I'm teaching her on the "beater" truck we have for her to drive once she gets her license.  The only downside is she'll be asking to drive my old cars - they're all manuals.

20210716_115005.jpg

Carz4Daze
Pit Crew

20200808_085608.jpg

Last year he rode in it...this year he's driving it!  Work in progress, but picking up stick pretty easy so far!

EricB
New Driver

Teaching my son how to drive a roadrunner with a racing clutch

BAC9E9ED-B0EB-4C0E-92EF-D8349CEA160D.jpeg

gwmicrocap
New Driver

Third of my 4 sons to get manual driving lessons.  Just got his license, and he will soon have to be an expert at shifting gears as this e39 BMW 540/6 is his car! 

I always have them get driving down first before adding in the complexity of changing your own gears...

He caught on quickly.He caught on quickly.Had to wear the shirt for the pic!Had to wear the shirt for the pic!  

rwcarte
New Driver

3 on the tree, 1963 F2503 on the tree, 1963 F250

Whistler
Pit Crew

Dad taught me to drive a stick shift truck with a two-speed rear in 1949, when I was 14 years old. Been double-clutchin and split-shifting ever since.

Whistler
Pit Crew

(continued)

my most recent vehicle is a 1930 Chrysler, Rumble Seat, Roadster: 3 speed, non-sync. 

18 grandkids as potential Students Of The Stick

Kouellette
New Driver

20210716_110754.jpg

I have been teaching my 10 year old daughter how to shift this summer. She has been learning the shift pattern in my 2015 Caddilac ATS 6 speed manual. Teach them young!

Rasco1957
New Driver

National Stick Shift Day

Spending time with my youngest son is always an experience, even more so when you’re trying to instruct him on a 5 speed stick in a small Mazda, granddaughter is in back seat taking the pics.

3353D0A7-9DA4-4480-886A-BD9F44A284EC.jpeg

15C33156-36C2-4E82-83D1-F1AE76FC435D.jpeg

7F6D4CBA-2E74-4AB8-B5F0-307A0EDDFFF8.jpeg

claman
New Driver

When will you email me for my address so that you can send the hats?