cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel
Hagerty Employee

We’re on a mission to get more people shifting gears

Help us reach our goal of teaching 500 drivers in 50 days how to drive a manual!

004 - 20171104-WSM_3789.jpg

There’s nothing like driving a stick shift – feeling the gears change, connecting with the car and the road – and we’re on a mission to get more people experiencing that excitement.

It all starts on National Stick Shift Day (July 16). We’ll be kicking off the day at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, celebrating 10 years of the Hagerty Driving Experience (our program designed to teach young drivers how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission)!

You can take part no matter where you are, anytime from July 16 – Sept. 3 - here's how:

• Spend an hour with someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual - a family member, a friend or neighbor - and give them a lesson (see the attached 'manual manual' as a reference guide)
  • Reply to this post with a photo from the experience (Photo attaching tutorial here)
  • We’ll follow up with you via direct message for your address so we can send you two of our '3 Pedals, No Problem' hats from The Shop. Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipping. 

Thank you for joining the fun - Never Stop Driving! 

839 REPLIES 839
CT46CJ
New Driver

Great idea, I'm in........

KZee
Pit Crew

My 28 yr. old daughter learning to shift our 59 yr old VW microbus.My 28 yr. old daughter learning to shift our 59 yr old VW microbus.

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Awesome - great photo, thanks for sharing!

Ocean_Vwbug_71
New Driver

17A56534-A824-4CB4-B64A-C85D791FA3CC.png

This is funny because I'm the one that have to take lessons and my dad was teaching me how to drive my dream car I purchased🤣

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Thanks for sharing - so cool you were able to get your dream car!

DickWertz
Pit Crew

I am in!  wife wants to learn to drive our Corvette as we get ready to take a 1200 mile trip!

jarnoff14
New Driver

Love this! Not sure if this is kosher to post here or not, so please let me know and I'll take it down if needed, but I set this up for people if they want to search in their area for people that can teach or people that want to learn. Right now there aren't a ton of users, and most want to teach, but I figured it could be helpful: https://www.manual-cars.com/learn/ 

ghiapaul
New Driver

I’m in!  I’ll be teaching two of my grandsons how to drive my Karmann Ghia. I know they’ll be happy cause then they can borrow it!  Papa’s happy he can pass down this great way of driving!

RUTGER
New Driver

This promotion is a wonderful idea.

Thirty years ago my wife tried to learn on a Dodge Challenger and became frustrated when it bucked and hopped. Later when she successfully birthed our first child, my lovely wife decided if she could withstand the pain of labour that she could learn to clutch. Our Miata was the perfect learner car as it has a very forgiving clutch. Now my life partner shifts like a pro.  Years later, I bought my daughter a small enduro bike and taught her how to shift manually. She never really wanted to engage in this new "father / daughter past time" but she indulged me. When she turned 16 and learned to drive the Miata she appreciated the effort to practice on the dirt bike. The experience allowed her to easily transfer the clutch feeling from the hand to the foot.

It is a sad state that manual transmissions are disappearing today but as long as classics are around the exuberant feeling of driving a "driver's car" will live on!  I will forever love driving Mia (my '90 Miata) and Rutger ('92 BMW M5). Long live the stick! 🙂

DAVE

Homejames
Pit Crew

Cool, it's a mission 

Corvette197919
New Driver

I’m in love the idea

1969MCXR-7
New Driver

GREAT GREAT IDEA, ALREADY KNOW WHO I'M GOING TO TEACH! COUNT ME IN MOST DEFINITELY!

Mll826
New Driver

I’ve been playing all 9 fast and furious movies on a loop in my infant daughters bedroom.  84” screens.  

Deepak
New Driver

Does a scooter with a handlebar shifter count?

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Sure! 

DaJaTu
New Driver

Awesome!! But what if that someone that doesn’t know is myself?  I just signed up with Hagerty with my 66 Galaxie (automatic) and my 36 Buick (3-speed). Only have had the Buick for about 2 weeks.  But I’ve been out in it for a few hours practicing on my own. 

113A278F-6289-4B55-BA64-C30E6FDA8E26.jpeg

eR1c
New Driver

Love this idea! I will be teaching my 16 year old son how to drive my Porsche 930 Yikes!  ...don't worry, he won't be driving it w/o me in the car.

Sweeny
New Driver

Love this idea. My wife has been a faithful passenger in our 1957 Corvette Fuelie...but always reluctant to drive it. This could be a great excuse to learn. Also, we live in Japan so I can join @bellcitymotorwo to bring some international flavor to this event

pianoporsche
Pit Crew

I'm teaching my 15yo son to drive my '72 VW beetle, '71 Porsche 914, '98 986 Porsche Boxster, '16 VW GTI- ALL MANUAL. Will send pics.

JagAddict
Pit Crew

My kids learned to drive in stick shifts as that was all I had in those days, all I would have.  Daughter learned first in a Fiat 131 5-speed.  Son later learned in a Series Land Rover 88" 4-speed/2-speed xfer (syncro only on 3rd & 4th) and he still drives a stick.  Grandson's first ride was and is a Toyota Tacoma 5-speed stick.  That said, I have four vehicles currently and none is a stick.  I'd love to bring another vintage Jag back into my life, with a cantankerous old Moss gearbox, but otherwise appreciate the modern slush boxes, which are really amazing.

69Classic
New Driver

Count me in!

Klawsonann
Pit Crew

961642F5-EC69-44A9-A51A-9AC806F06E3C.jpeg

Klawsonann
Pit Crew

My best friend Sara learning to drive a standard transmission in a VW golf, I learned on an ‘86 Jetta but now I can drive anything and she did great!! 

0E2F82C3-814B-433A-8FA9-B194A489C5B4.jpeg

008EEC68-E0B0-4800-A470-2D3FCE034679.jpeg

lowdrag
New Driver

Most of you over the pond are two pedal people. You don't know what you are missing frankly. You can't get into a car like this on a sunny summer's morning, get the wind in your hair, and enjoy driving to the full. There is a thrill and satisfaction to getting gear changes just right

Front close up.jpg

jbanks2020
New Driver

Great Idea !

memail
New Driver

5C814432-4A65-437E-9F5F-EF4D905A1EBC.png

 Starting a bit early for the first lesson for my son in the parking lot just up the street... 3 pedals, No Problem for him !... I Hope !

Deerevolks
New Driver

7CBB8F82-7C73-4686-9595-23B0CA388B67.jpeg

 38, not quite a kid by years, but child-like happiness learning to drive the old CJ-7

Deerevolks
New Driver

438DC344-EA14-44A2-829C-462219EFF0E5.jpeg

 At 7 she will Farm-Drive anything I let her. 1949 DeSoto, automatic with 3 pedals, Fluid Drive …..,,

Niels_S
New Driver

I'm Dutch. Here we learn to drive a manual as standard for your driver's license... I many times have to explain people how to drive an automatic 🙂 Can I get a "two pedals, no problem" hat?

Shabib
New Driver

Our oldest son wanted a manual as his first car. He got a 2018 Ford Focus ST and I got to teach him how to drive it!

Driving Lesson #1Driving Lesson #1The PurchaseThe Purchase

Larryc97
New Driver

Count me in. I have two granddaughters that I have been planning to teach on my Z-3. This is perfect timing!

Vette2002
New Driver

We are in Nancy has been wanting to learn so now is the time to start!!!

Pumpkin72
New Driver

Here my nephew Lewis in my 61 Herald with big smile after he mastered the manual gearbox plus coming to a full stop before engaging 1st as no synchrolewis Herald .jpg

mrginsberg
New Driver

My dad and Wife are teaching me! We're going to a high school parking lot in Stamford CT tomorrow to learn. At 37 I feel like I'm finally ready!

JBaguley
Intermediate Driver

Excellent guys, just excellent !! I've taught four millennial offspring (two daughters & two sons) the joy of driving a proper manual, and that has migrated to their spouses plus I'm trying to teach #1 grandbaby his first words, "Manual Transmission". This makes a good time to have another run at my lovely bride.

RonsClassics
New Driver

Great idea! Count me in on this as there are two people who need to learn. Manual is a great addition. 

michigancobra
New Driver

Timing is everything !  Got your email yesterday just as my wife was practicing with the 5-speed.  No damage yet 🙂015c008b9c4d0a53e11d70a12c276377051e0eba6f.jpg01071655ae7096a9645df6e88830f38909c3b0e27a.jpg

Billp
New Driver

Going to teach the wife. Should I start with the 3 speed Mustang or the 6 speed Shelby

SteveWeidert
Pit Crew

Having Fun with a Six-Speed LS1Having Fun with a Six-Speed LS1

bullitt1011
Pit Crew

This sounds like fun. My 21 yr old has been wanting to learn for a while. Photos to follow. 👍

georgeP
New Driver

Great idea and great timing!  My classic cars of choice have been Jensen Interceptors (automatics), but I recently bought a manual 1999 BMW as a daily driver with the plan of teaching my 19 year old daughter how to drive a stick shift.  (Won't let me insert a pic.)

Oldguywithcars
New Driver

7E273A91-4D6C-47DA-8C73-58391F362AA1.jpeg

 Austin on his first time with stick shift in a 30 year old Mitsubishi 3000GT that his dad drove new in high school. Grandad taught both his dad and Austin to drive stick in the same car

KRY
New Driver

Sounds like fun! Count me in.

MustangRudy
New Driver

Teaching my grandson to drive a stick on his newly purchased 1996 Jeep

Clintonddk
New Driver

Today I took my daughter out to have her try and drive Simon my 1956 beetle a manual stick shift.
borisschaefer
New Driver

IMG_5048.jpgLearning driving stick in style. Doing good! He deserves a hat! 😉

Waltguy
New Driver

Finally getting my wife to try my Focus ST! I drive for Mecum and she says she wants to try that too!

Lobster70
Pit Crew

I'll start 'em on my Miata (like the featured photo!) Good power-to-weight but low power overall makes it great for learning. Then I'll graduate them to my Toyota 4x4 with a 22RE 4-cyl.  That one is under-powered and easy to kill. Once they master the truck on an incline, almost everything else will be a breeze.

mikeramsey
New Driver

IMG_1932.JPEGIMG_3849.jpg