cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel
Hagerty Employee

We’re on a mission to get more people shifting gears

Help us reach our goal of teaching 500 drivers in 50 days how to drive a manual!

004 - 20171104-WSM_3789.jpg

There’s nothing like driving a stick shift – feeling the gears change, connecting with the car and the road – and we’re on a mission to get more people experiencing that excitement.

It all starts on National Stick Shift Day (July 16). We’ll be kicking off the day at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, celebrating 10 years of the Hagerty Driving Experience (our program designed to teach young drivers how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission)!

You can take part no matter where you are, anytime from July 16 – Sept. 3 - here's how:

• Spend an hour with someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual - a family member, a friend or neighbor - and give them a lesson (see the attached 'manual manual' as a reference guide)
  • Reply to this post with a photo from the experience (Photo attaching tutorial here)
  • We’ll follow up with you via direct message for your address so we can send you two of our '3 Pedals, No Problem' hats from The Shop. Please allow 2-4 weeks for shipping. 

Thank you for joining the fun - Never Stop Driving! 

839 REPLIES 839
VehicleNanny
Pit Crew

Great idea! Count me in!

Coachjammer
New Driver

I’m in!

5869Corvette
Pit Crew

I would love to do this. I have a great 18 yr old kid in mind.  Unfortunately Hagerty does not allow someone under 25 to drive my car. What are my options?

alfaduetto
New Driver

Do it on your own property or a friends, I won’t lay a dime on you. 😎

Darold
Hagerty Employee

Hey there @5869Corvette ! If you want to shoot me a DM I would love to chat with you about it!

5869Corvette
Pit Crew

Hi there.  Just text me at (416) 453-5196 

Ray
New Driver

Max.jpgOlivia.jpg

Gary3
Pit Crew

Sherry and Rich Hamilton and Virginia WetheraldIMG_0364.JPGIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0354.jpg

SirMadDawg
New Driver

Parking lots are the only real place anyone should be learning something they are unfamiliar with till they get enough confidence. Good place to start with the 18 year old perhaps. 

Plumcrazy65
New Driver

TOTALLY Agree!! 

Eray
New Driver

Eray
New Driver

Just do it no one's gonna ask or know

DaveBowman68
New Driver

I had the same issue, but it was for my step son so we bought a cheap stick that he can learn on and if he kills it no big deal.  The plan was to find a 500 car but we decided to get something we can use for dump runs and a back up in the snow so went for 4x4 truck for a bit more.   The other option is some of the non commercial auto rental places have manuals you can rent.  

MrTom
New Driver

Yes, this is very accurate.  I know Hagerty always encourages classic car drivers to get the younger folks involved, but it's really hard to engage the younger crowd if all they can do is look at the cars.  My two classic cars are not valuable trailer queens and I know several "under 25" folks who are very interested in old cars.  I have been tempted to look for different insurance so I can share the hobby with the younger set before we lose them altogether. The recent grads at my company all lust over Teslas and couldn't care less about old cars without a giant screen on the dashboard.  One day, nobody is going to want the vehicles we cherish if we can't share the joy...

Maldev
New Driver

On it!

OHCOddball
Intermediate Driver

Tried that with my wife years ago. Did fine as long as it was in a parking lot or no traffic. Got flustered too fast and couldn't take off in traffic.

32-Coupe
Pit Crew

OMG. OHCOddball, Your story sounds oh to familiar. So I had a 280ZX Turbo. Tried to teach "the wife" to drive that sweet 5 speed. At that point in my life it was the nicest car I had ever owned. Sold the car the very next day, still have "the wife" going on 38 years. Best choice I ever made. Take care. 

Peter D Sell
Whistler
Pit Crew

Understood.

in’49, I was 14 years.  Dad put me in a 2-ton Dodge flatbed, 4 speed stick, no-sync tranny and a two-speed rear end.  I’d been paying attention when he drove and began double-clutching right off the line.  Scraped a couple of gears at first but got the hang of it.  Traffic was a big part of the lesson. But I’d been driving our Plymouth on a regular basis, which helped a lot 

TexaZ3
New Driver

What an awesome idea! Definitely in!

CharlieChip38
New Driver

My daughter got her license - today! So this will be a fun reason to teach her stick.

Rachel - We create lots of automotive content - videos, Formula 1 reviews - can you PM me as I want to possibly share with the Hagerty Community . Thx

Kevyfresh
New Driver

KRY
New Driver

EAA42268-22A9-4BD0-AA20-0C33A66D85AC.jpeg

AlfaFlyBy
New Driver

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS - TEACHING MY WIFE AND SON HOW TO DRIVE A STICK.

Count me in - This is how I met my wife, she fell in love with my 1970 TR6 and showed me how to speed shift, now 50 years later she still showing me how to live. 

msmiller
New Driver

Ruby
Pit Crew

069561C9-244B-4DD0-B43A-6CD96517D059.jpeg

Steelepony95
New Driver

What a great way to pas the "stick" . . . so to speak.  Another convert to the joys of the manual transmission - so much better than placing the transmission in drive & mashing the "go" pedal.  Oh the joys as the mighty 5.0 V-8 climbs into the higher RPM's and the glorious sound from the dual exhaust.  Oh that 5.0 V-8 experience!Oh that 5.0 V-8 experience!

3 pedals are the way to go!3 pedals are the way to go!

vrooomie
Intermediate Driver

I'm out near Denver International, and willing to teach ANYONE to shift!

Ive been a professional driving instructor, and have 3+ million mikes of driving under my belt, almost all by using three pedals.

Marawder
New Driver

Love it.   Been wanting to get both my kids to learn!

Alanbga
New Driver

I've taught at least a dozen people including this future drivers dad!

IMG_3318(1).jpg

SR20DET510
New Driver

Already Planning to teach my 16yr old Daughter Manual Transmission. 
All I've ever really owned were Sticks and she is familiar with shifting as I let her shift the stick all the time. This should be pretty easy 🙂 

Ananse
Pit Crew

Taught my 16 yr old daughter, 8 yrs ago... she grumbled and complained, at her Dad's house they had an automatic but at mom's she had the choice of learning stick or not driving.  She learned stick.  And then the boys found out she could drive stick.  She stopped complaining! 

AllenPrevette
New Driver

2E3C99D4-F531-46D4-BE60-AC813F2A78CF.jpeg

14E072BF-7A58-4341-B7C7-204DEB89E634.jpeg

 Taught both my boys how to drive a manual transmission on our 1976 CJ7 

dogongulf
New Driver

This will be fun. I'm in!

Ananse
Pit Crew

I've got a teenaged foster kiddo to talk into this!  🙂  Fun will be had!

GrayBeard
New Driver

My 25 year-old son has been saying for years he wants to learn a manual. This is the perfect opportunity to get him to do it. The only problem will be after he learns he'll want to drive my cars!

NoBudgetGarage
Pit Crew

Great excuse to teach the wife how to drive her new car.

182654184_4296641583682220_152426673481623101_n.jpg

Spitfyr
New Driver

I learned to drive a stick way back in the 3 on the tree days!   My daughter never wanted to learn a manual shift until we bought a Challenger and Crossfire Convertible.  Now she's very interested in learning.  I take your challenge!

bellcitymotorwo
New Driver

I am in for sure! I hope you'll send hats to Canada! I first learned to drive on my dad's 5 speed 1995 Nissan 240sx and I still drive the car to this day, 22 years later 🙂

KZee
Pit Crew

Good point, I'm thinking because this is an American national event day that we're likely left out. Don't see any fine print but that's not a guarantee. Cheers!

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

We are happy to send hats to Canada - thank you!

Boshmase
New Driver

Great to hear that, I’m posting from a different continent. Very glad to be participating.

Rachel
Hagerty Employee

Happy to send hats to Canada - thanks for your enthusiasm!

DaveB
Intermediate Driver

awesome idea!

BenjieMcCall
New Driver

Other than a dirt bike, my first experience with driving a stick was at 16 while taking my school bus driver training. Nailed it on the first go! However, one point stressed was starting on a hill vs your explanation... I was taught while keeping my right foot on the brake to slowly release the clutch until I could feel the engine lugging just enough to allow me to move to the throttle without rolling back.

trwtestengineer
New Driver

Great.... let's have another special day where we encourage the manufacturers to KEEP MAKING the manual trans. Lots of cars I'd buy but for the autobox, which turns me off.

Viper
New Driver

Not entirely sure I'm down with this. I've had many people ask to drive my car, then they see it's a manual shifter and they're out. Which works out well for me, as I don't have to say no. I may consider doing it, but my Viper is not much of a "learners" car.

RedlineGuy
New Driver

I used to have a 95' Viper and their definitely not a "Learners Car", that's why a lot of Vipers end up wrapped around telephone poles or trees! LoL

BHcars
New Driver

This is a fantastic idea!  I taught both of my teenage daughters to drive (in the last 2 years) on a manual, and their first vehicles are both manuals. 

daffodildeb
Pit Crew

Pretty cool!  About a week ago I needed to valet park my Boxster at a hospital.  (Long story--I never valet park.)  Only the supervisor knew how to drive a stick!  Came out 2 hours later and the car was 30 feet from where I dropped it off--probably pushed there, LOL.