cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guitar74
Technician

Street Racing rant

So for months, and especially since the COVID pandemic, it seems that every time I turn on the news before work, I see clips of so called street racing in downtown Atlanta. What I ACTUALLY see is a bunch of idiots doing burnout contests in intersections, donuts, and the obligatory "lets see how many people can hang out of the window of my 4 door Charger while I annihilate my tires" with crowds of onlookers all cheering them on, recording vids on their phones to later put them up on social media. VERY little racing and a lot of defiance towards anything or anybody.

So this morning I turn on the news to see traffic cam video of two of these morons who decided to actually race. The result? An innocent young lady who was either trying to get to work or school was killed when the idiot who was in the oncoming side decided to swing out into oncoming traffic to pass the other idiot he was racing on a congested public road. The footage was terrible as the racer's Charger (I'm seeing a pattern in Metro Atlanta because they all seem to be in late model Mopars. I love Mopars, by the way having owned a '69 Sport Satellite) hit her head on and burst into flames. 

So what does anyone do about it? The police don't have the resources to catch HUNDREDS of people (yes the groups are that big). It seems crazy, but this all seemed to start a few years ago when what was probably the same groups used to ride four wheelers, dirt bikes, etc., around 285 doing wheelies, cutting off traffic etc. It seems they graduated to cars. I think the worst thing I saw was one of the "citizenry" from the area got in front of the news cameras and said, "I don't see what the big deal is. They "ain" hurtin' nobody". Of course it came out that her son was one of the crew that got arrested and his atv confiscated. 

I am REALLY getting sick of the lawlessness that is running rampant in this country and the refusal to do anything about it for fear of being labelled anything that might be the "sound byte of the day" claim that you aren't being fair.

38 REPLIES 38
hyperv6
Instructor

Street Racing is not really the issue. The trouble is the lower IQ of so many people anymore. 

Street Racing has been around for decades and seldom was it ever a major issue. Back in my day it was big time and there were some fast cars, one Corvette was doing street legal 8 second runs. 

The guys who raced generally did it late and went to a safe open area where there was no traffic. There was no accidents, no innocent people and even the cops were not a threat as the area was so isolated it was not causing any issues. 

In fact I was even told by a cop where to go if I ever wanted to make a run. There was some respect and some common sense used back then. Most fast cars were built by the owners and they had a lot tied up in them.

Today many people have so little respect for those around them. They are just idiots with large car payments as they can buy a fast car but could not build one. 

They do all this stuff in city areas and too often with crowds around. How many crashes have we seen leaving cars and coffee? 

Today too many lack common sense to know the when or where you can do things. They just do it and really do a lot of damage. 

Bikes are just as bad or worse. We had one group here that had a bad accident before they stopped. I still had one the other day doing a wheelie and almost ran into the back of me when I signaled a left turn. 

The reality is racing is always going to be around. The exhibition of speed is even more prevalent and no one will ever stop it. But we all need to self police and weed out the idiots and if needed work with the cops to take them out. 

They hurt the hobby and all of us. They also do more damage if they kill someone innocent. 

Let’s face it we all have done burn outs and other things we really should not be doing. The key is too look around and if it is unsafe then don’t do it. 

With age I got over it. The trouble is some never got old. 

I have one guy I went to school with. He got a 73 Z28 split bumper. He was a drinker. Most of us car guys did not drink. He wanted to be a car guy. 

He was set to go to the Air Force academy. He ran from the cops and lost it. He hit a  brick building. He survived.  After an extended coma and a broken leg he got out of the hospital. He just was never the same with a head injury. Just an example how it can go wrong. At least he only hurt himself. 

Guitar74
Technician

I think you hit the nail on the head. I did some illegal racing activities back in the day (although I have NEVER had an 8 second car). But OUR quarter mile was out in the middle of nowhere so the people at risk were the drivers. There were no blocking an entire street so large crowds could spectate while we destroyed our tires, etc. I think the I.Q. comment is dead on and I will go one step further by saying that so much of this is just pure defiance at the risk of everyone else. That and the willingness to have the "social media 15 minutes".

jonZ
Advanced Driver

Guilty as charged. I've done my share of racing back in the day, (60's - 70's) but always in the middle of nowhere on isolated country roads with about a mile of straight line. Actually the area is still used for the same thing! We would draw a crowd but never put anyone at risk. It was more of a hang out for the motor heads and a social activity. Folk today do more harm than good for our hobby. The local cops knew what we were doing and some would actually participate. That was a different time. This new millennium(s) need to understand that there is a time and place. I'm with you guys on this. I'm not all that religious but I pray for everyone in the Metro Atlanta area. (land of the lost). Hang in there guys and have a happy new year!!

Rob1
Detailer

Time and a place for everything street racing as us olde farts knew it was far from safe but as stated not in a area where the public was put at risk,it was a rite of passage in the 60,s early seventy's where I was from if you were a piston head. Fortunately there was and still is a local dragstrip near our area that most weekends catered to our primal instinct's we were free to run without the concerns of the local police it was truly the best of both worlds some of the fellas I knew went on to bigger and better things in the drag race world.Todays cars are truly amazing the HP numbers coming out of the car company's are staggering and scary fast cars can get into the hands anyone with the credit rating to do so todays busy streets and 700 hp + is a deadly mix.Cheers and Happy New Year.R

hyperv6
Instructor

We had a plaza we used to hang out at. It was in a high traffic area. We could fill it with a couple hundred cars. 

But we self policed. If you did something stupid some of the older tougher guys would give you a warning.. if not Yielded you often were confronted or turned over to the cops. 

They did not tolerate drinking either. 

I was 16 years old and new to all this but I was taught a coded of behavior. 

There were always a few that always tried to screw it up for the rest. 

Today there is few standards and little thinking. Too many trying to garner attention. 

To be honest the real racers never did burnouts if they could help it. The fast guys built their cars to hook up. If you were spinning tires you were losing. 

I think my generation was taught by the previous generation that learned the hard way about racing. Many of the younger guys today were never around to learn what we learned. They just don’t ever look around to see the folks around them they could hurt or destroy their families. 

JTSpeedy
Pit Crew

Amen, y'all! It wouldn't be a problem if they would go to the middle of nowhere to do it! (and if they were actually smart, which they're NOT) Multiple times we've been passed by those same kind of nuts on the freeway, going at least 120, weaving in and out of traffic in their annoying little Hondas or whatnot that they think are SO COOL because they hired someone to put on an aftermarket exhaust! Of course these are the same kind of people that have hubcap spikes sticking out about 1-2 feet from the car! I'm not kidding! I saw that on the freeway once, and we called the cops on him!

But besides the rampant high HP low IQ problem, I think the movies aren't helping. I only saw a little bit of the Fast & Furious 1, and it's not helpful. It just encourages and glamorizes what isn't really street racing but idiots going too fast.

My solution is to go kart racing to let out my leadfoot impulses!

jonZ
Advanced Driver

I'm givin likes to these comments. This is a topic that needed to be addressed so thanks to Guitar74 for starting it. Way too many idiots starving for attention will eventually get some one, or themselves killed and put a bad name on performance cars and those who drive them. Again... Time and Place. I'm an old fart too.  JTSpeedy made a good point about the freeway/interstate.

spoom
Technician

Not even "racers" for the most part, just common thug life idiots. More like the recent hoards of "spandex nazis" in NYC, surrounding vehicles and attacking them. Some problems cannot be fixed without belt fed weapons. 

jonZ
Advanced Driver

Hey spoom, I know what you mean. We could go on and on about the "problem child syndrome". The problem shoulda been fixed at a younger age when the belt fed weapon was a 2" strap of leather across the A--. When I was growing up the scariest sound in the world was a leather belt being snatched through 7 belt loops. 

spoom
Technician

I'm reminded often of, "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

hyperv6
Instructor

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
― Alexander Fraser Tytler

spoom
Technician

Agreed, a distant relative of mine (John Adams) wrote, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." I am not a proponent of today's organized religion, myself, but as I understand the quote, I have no disagreement in the sentiment at all.

Guitar74
Technician

Then we are distantly related as not only am I an Adams, but have had a family member trace our genealogy, found him to be a member of our family as well.

Even though I AM a Christian, my sentiments about our modern day church would probably similar to your own. What's funny is that my religions namesake was pretty outspoken about the organized church of his time on earth.

spoom
Technician

Guessing his name was Martin. I'm English, Welsh and Irish on my dad's side. Somewhere the Adams connection went to a something else and eventually a Woods. To balance things out, my Mom is 100% German. As far as religion, I'm no atheist, but have no use for the way organized religion has been specializing in fear and controlling the masses for centuries, changing the product as needed when sales decline. The autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini is quite a read.

Guitar74
Technician

Also English, Welsh, and Scot-Irish. 

spoom
Technician

Great quote. We're about there right now. The vote on the Bill of Wants should be coming soon.

jonZ
Advanced Driver

Forgot to say the sweetest sound I ever heard in my youth was my Dad's 50 Ford shoe box flat head V8 exhaling through a set of Smitty's or Cherry Bombs!! I was hooked right there and then. I was maybe 10 yrs old. Never got a chance to drive it. Prolly a good thing or I would have heard the snatching of the leather belt again! Hang in there yall and good luck in the new year.

hyperv6
Instructor

One of the fastest growing issues today is now the Dirt Bikes and 4 wheeler gangs in the Cities. 

They are going around disrupting traffic, nearly hitting pedestrians and generally  looking like a mob from a Mad Max movie. 

The cops have tried to stop them but catching them is difficult. 

In Cleveland a car was hit head on and as the paramedics were trying to get to the scene the bikes were in the way slowing them down to the rescue. 

The city foolishly built a dirt track thinking it would get them off the streets but these are not guys who want to ride dirt. 

A number of crimes have been done using these vehicles and little has worked to stop them. Also as soon as one gets hurt in a crash running from the cops they will protest police brutality. 

I would not want to be an officer today in any city. You can't win! 

hyperv6
Instructor

There is nothing wrong with religion itself. It is merely a vehicle. It is only operated as well as the people in control. 

Like a car is only as good as the driver. Too many religions are corrupted by unworthy people in control. They put man will before Gods will. The sad part is too many fail to see the, for who they really are.

But much in the world today is corrupted. Politics, businesses, News, etc. Sin has taken control and most are unwilling to let it go. But the Bible speaks of this and I expect it to only get worse. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Boy are we getting deep in this thread! 

spoom
Technician

PMS in my case, Parked Motorcycle Syndrome 😞

Guitar74
Technician

Sir, you hit the nail on the head. 

spoom
Technician

I meant no offense, hyper6. The problem as I see it is religions have killed millions over the eons, they all declare that they are right, their god can beat up my god, their holy book is 100% correct to the last word, and if any religion's leader changes a thousand+ year law it's because their diety/dieties told them directly and should not be questioned. Some folks believe in Thor, others claim the real god of thunder was a well-tuned 401 AMX. I do believe in Valkyries, there's one in my garage 😉  

hyperv6
Instructor

And atheist have killed billions too. 

The act of killing was do to man not religion. 

Think of religion as a vehicle. Most are used to do many more things to benefit life as a whole. But in the hands of the wrong person it can do a lot of damage. 

Much like this thread often the racing in the wrong hands can be deadly. But in the right hands and in the right place can be fun, entertaining and safe. 

You don’t condemn the vehicle you condemn the driver. Cars on their own have never killed anyone on their own outside a Stephen King movie. 

Most  things in life can and have killed but also have been more of a benefit in the right hands. 

spoom
Technician

Christine was driven by Chuckie, without a booster seat 😉 I understand your points on man vs religion, but man practices religion, and some dictate that their religion is not only "the" true one, but that it has to be taught and imposed on others. Always ends up in a fight if one is devout enough. 

hyperv6
Instructor

Religion is a choice and some folks choose poorly. Often it is because they simple fail to read their bible or doctrine depending on the religion. 

Many put a man in place of God and that is wrong. 

Sadly there are a number of religions that suck people in. But that still should not be used against those who get it right. 

If your religion has a smiling guy who will sell you inspiration in an electric cube, you may want to look around and get back to the basics. 

The greatest trouble today is people have gotten away from the basics. They put many things in the world first and end up still feeling empty. Then a man  comes along and sells his version of things not Gods version. This sucks in the people really looking for help. 

I have been lucky to have been under some wise pastors. They are the first to tell you they should be held accountable to teach gods vision not theirs. 

They will be the first to tell you that our church is not the only one. 

They have killed no one and often turned around a life and saved it. My grandfather was one of the most wicked people around. He was considered wicked back when things were much harsher than today. 

He went from beating the wife and kids, dinking up all the money and cheating on my grandmother to being a kind loving man. He ended up consoling at risk intercity kids. This from a man who at one point wore a sheet for meetings back in the 40’s. 

There are billions who have had changed lives for the better. This is a sinful world and yes some good things get abused but we do toss them out because of the few. Cars, Guns and other things are vilified for the harm they do. But we get much more good from them than harm. The difference is in the heart of who controls them. 

jonZ
Advanced Driver

We are getting deep in this thread. That's usually how it goes when talking about lawlessness and disregard to others safety, religion, etc.... I told my sons when they left home that they could choose to be happy or miserable. Also told them when they got married to always remember what brought them together and not what is tearing them apart. I think thats why they both have a shop full of tools and project cars/trucks/motorcycles etc... Kinda takes the mind off of all the other bs that tends to consume us. Anybody got some Falcon parts they want to get rid of? Hang in there yall and happy new year!

spoom
Technician

Falcon parts? I got a talon 😂

Sajeev
Community Manager

Not sure if this will fit an a Falcon's trunk. Maybe a Galaxie...

Sajeev_0-1610034958740.jpeg

jonZ
Advanced Driver

Hey Sajeev, I aint too sure what I'm lookin at. But if you want to donate it to me I'll accept. Remember the Mad Max Falcon? The Aussies kept the name alive for awhile but I'm still stuck in the 60's. Pretty much from 60 to 65 as far as the Falcons go. I think Ford thought so also. Tell me more about the Galaxie........ I always referred to my 63 Falcon Sprint as a miniature Galaxie. What a great car! 

Guitar74
Technician

I kind of considered the Falcon the same. That bein said, two days before getting downsized at Bellsouth, I was over by Atlanta Motor Speedway. As I drove past this muffler shop a jet black Falcon XB caught my eye. It was like everything slowed down. It was basically like the "pretty" one in the first Mad Max sans blower (painted MFP badge on the front fender, zoomie pipes, black wagon wheels) with a for sale sign to boot. I had to get across three lanes of traffic to get turned around. By the time I got back, it was gone like a mirage. Two days later, I got my severance notice from Bellsouth. I guess it was fate. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

@jonZ I posted a photo of an Eagle Talon in response to what @spoom said about offering a (not Eagle) Talon.  Hope this is still funny, but yes, I am aware that jokes are almost never funny if the joke teller has to explain their joke. 🙂 

spoom
Technician

Actually, I was thinking of the Winchester Talon, in relation to the current unrest. I forgot all about the Mitsubishi variant. 😖 

hyperv6
Instructor

So many people lack standards and ethics as they have no real examples around them. 

The lack of a core family really hurts many. It helps to have a father mother involved but even one good parent in control can do it as my grand mother did it alone. But so many kids lack even that. There is just no one to teach right or wrong and give the needed wisdom to get ahead in life. 

To get my mind off things I polish. I really have some well corrected paint! Lol!

Guitar74
Technician

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a great relationship with my father now. It wasn't always that way. I watched him throw away his family and choose alcohol over my mother and myself in the end. I watched him go from a terrific Dad to one that was gone for days at a time. In the end we were worried about him when he wasn't home, but thankful he was gone because of the violence that came with the guilt from selling out his family for a drink. It broke my mom's heart in the end. Fast forward 20 years and he became a different man. His best friend (from the time they were kids) who was dying from cancer sort of conned Dad into going to church with him under the guise that he wanted to get right before he left this world and Dad was saved that day. It changed him profoundly. And although our beginning wasn't so great when I was a kid (although there was a time before the alcoholism that he was a terrific Dad and husband), as a man I have a great relationship with him. I also have sincere respect for my Mom who basically raised me on her own until she eventually remarried when I was a teenager. She was both a Dad AND a Mom and she did it with grace. Yeah, having a role model as well as a disciplinarian at home makes a huge difference. So does having God in your life. Trust me. I know. He made a difference in mine as well.

jonZ
Advanced Driver

WOW!!! the response from this topic is awesome. We all have our differences but as I mentioned in an earlier post ( when my sons were leaving home etc....) we make choices that make us who we are. It is our choice. I think we are all here and talking for a reason. As different as we may be in our beliefs, we all chose to get the same coverage on our vehicles, chose to have classics, chose to help one another and chose to fellowship so I guess we have something in common. SOMETHING brought us together. It's a big world and there is room for us all. I wish we had more FALCONS so yall could send me some parts! Hang in there and have a blessed 2021. 

Guitar74
Technician

Your Falcon and my Cougar share many a part. If you need something hit me up. I will either have it or not. But if I do, you're more than welcome to it.

spoom
Technician

Someone once told me there was a bunch of Falcon parts under my '67 Mustang. I couldn't find a single box of them.😂