cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Technician

Street Racing rant

So for months, and especially since the COVID pandemic, it seems that every time I turn on the news before work, I see clips of so called street racing in downtown Atlanta. What I ACTUALLY see is a bunch of idiots doing burnout contests in intersections, donuts, and the obligatory "lets see how many people can hang out of the window of my 4 door Charger while I annihilate my tires" with crowds of onlookers all cheering them on, recording vids on their phones to later put them up on social media. VERY little racing and a lot of defiance towards anything or anybody.

So this morning I turn on the news to see traffic cam video of two of these morons who decided to actually race. The result? An innocent young lady who was either trying to get to work or school was killed when the idiot who was in the oncoming side decided to swing out into oncoming traffic to pass the other idiot he was racing on a congested public road. The footage was terrible as the racer's Charger (I'm seeing a pattern in Metro Atlanta because they all seem to be in late model Mopars. I love Mopars, by the way having owned a '69 Sport Satellite) hit her head on and burst into flames. 

So what does anyone do about it? The police don't have the resources to catch HUNDREDS of people (yes the groups are that big). It seems crazy, but this all seemed to start a few years ago when what was probably the same groups used to ride four wheelers, dirt bikes, etc., around 285 doing wheelies, cutting off traffic etc. It seems they graduated to cars. I think the worst thing I saw was one of the "citizenry" from the area got in front of the news cameras and said, "I don't see what the big deal is. They "ain" hurtin' nobody". Of course it came out that her son was one of the crew that got arrested and his atv confiscated. 

I am REALLY getting sick of the lawlessness that is running rampant in this country and the refusal to do anything about it for fear of being labelled anything that might be the "sound byte of the day" claim that you aren't being fair.

38 REPLIES 38
Technician

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a great relationship with my father now. It wasn't always that way. I watched him throw away his family and choose alcohol over my mother and myself in the end. I watched him go from a terrific Dad to one that was gone for days at a time. In the end we were worried about him when he wasn't home, but thankful he was gone because of the violence that came with the guilt from selling out his family for a drink. It broke my mom's heart in the end. Fast forward 20 years and he became a different man. His best friend (from the time they were kids) who was dying from cancer sort of conned Dad into going to church with him under the guise that he wanted to get right before he left this world and Dad was saved that day. It changed him profoundly. And although our beginning wasn't so great when I was a kid (although there was a time before the alcoholism that he was a terrific Dad and husband), as a man I have a great relationship with him. I also have sincere respect for my Mom who basically raised me on her own until she eventually remarried when I was a teenager. She was both a Dad AND a Mom and she did it with grace. Yeah, having a role model as well as a disciplinarian at home makes a huge difference. So does having God in your life. Trust me. I know. He made a difference in mine as well.

Advanced Driver

WOW!!! the response from this topic is awesome. We all have our differences but as I mentioned in an earlier post ( when my sons were leaving home etc....) we make choices that make us who we are. It is our choice. I think we are all here and talking for a reason. As different as we may be in our beliefs, we all chose to get the same coverage on our vehicles, chose to have classics, chose to help one another and chose to fellowship so I guess we have something in common. SOMETHING brought us together. It's a big world and there is room for us all. I wish we had more FALCONS so yall could send me some parts! Hang in there and have a blessed 2021. 

Advanced Driver

Hey Sajeev, I aint too sure what I'm lookin at. But if you want to donate it to me I'll accept. Remember the Mad Max Falcon? The Aussies kept the name alive for awhile but I'm still stuck in the 60's. Pretty much from 60 to 65 as far as the Falcons go. I think Ford thought so also. Tell me more about the Galaxie........ I always referred to my 63 Falcon Sprint as a miniature Galaxie. What a great car! 

Technician

I kind of considered the Falcon the same. That bein said, two days before getting downsized at Bellsouth, I was over by Atlanta Motor Speedway. As I drove past this muffler shop a jet black Falcon XB caught my eye. It was like everything slowed down. It was basically like the "pretty" one in the first Mad Max sans blower (painted MFP badge on the front fender, zoomie pipes, black wagon wheels) with a for sale sign to boot. I had to get across three lanes of traffic to get turned around. By the time I got back, it was gone like a mirage. Two days later, I got my severance notice from Bellsouth. I guess it was fate. 

Technician

Also English, Welsh, and Scot-Irish. 

Technician

Your Falcon and my Cougar share many a part. If you need something hit me up. I will either have it or not. But if I do, you're more than welcome to it.

Community Manager

@jonZ I posted a photo of an Eagle Talon in response to what @spoom said about offering a (not Eagle) Talon.  Hope this is still funny, but yes, I am aware that jokes are almost never funny if the joke teller has to explain their joke. 🙂 

Instructor

Actually, I was thinking of the Winchester Talon, in relation to the current unrest. I forgot all about the Mitsubishi variant. 😖 

Instructor

Someone once told me there was a bunch of Falcon parts under my '67 Mustang. I couldn't find a single box of them.😂