cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Technician

Street Racing rant

So for months, and especially since the COVID pandemic, it seems that every time I turn on the news before work, I see clips of so called street racing in downtown Atlanta. What I ACTUALLY see is a bunch of idiots doing burnout contests in intersections, donuts, and the obligatory "lets see how many people can hang out of the window of my 4 door Charger while I annihilate my tires" with crowds of onlookers all cheering them on, recording vids on their phones to later put them up on social media. VERY little racing and a lot of defiance towards anything or anybody.

So this morning I turn on the news to see traffic cam video of two of these morons who decided to actually race. The result? An innocent young lady who was either trying to get to work or school was killed when the idiot who was in the oncoming side decided to swing out into oncoming traffic to pass the other idiot he was racing on a congested public road. The footage was terrible as the racer's Charger (I'm seeing a pattern in Metro Atlanta because they all seem to be in late model Mopars. I love Mopars, by the way having owned a '69 Sport Satellite) hit her head on and burst into flames. 

So what does anyone do about it? The police don't have the resources to catch HUNDREDS of people (yes the groups are that big). It seems crazy, but this all seemed to start a few years ago when what was probably the same groups used to ride four wheelers, dirt bikes, etc., around 285 doing wheelies, cutting off traffic etc. It seems they graduated to cars. I think the worst thing I saw was one of the "citizenry" from the area got in front of the news cameras and said, "I don't see what the big deal is. They "ain" hurtin' nobody". Of course it came out that her son was one of the crew that got arrested and his atv confiscated. 

I am REALLY getting sick of the lawlessness that is running rampant in this country and the refusal to do anything about it for fear of being labelled anything that might be the "sound byte of the day" claim that you aren't being fair.

38 REPLIES 38
Advanced Driver

Forgot to say the sweetest sound I ever heard in my youth was my Dad's 50 Ford shoe box flat head V8 exhaling through a set of Smitty's or Cherry Bombs!! I was hooked right there and then. I was maybe 10 yrs old. Never got a chance to drive it. Prolly a good thing or I would have heard the snatching of the leather belt again! Hang in there yall and good luck in the new year.

Instructor

I'm reminded often of, "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Instructor

One of the fastest growing issues today is now the Dirt Bikes and 4 wheeler gangs in the Cities. 

They are going around disrupting traffic, nearly hitting pedestrians and generally  looking like a mob from a Mad Max movie. 

The cops have tried to stop them but catching them is difficult. 

In Cleveland a car was hit head on and as the paramedics were trying to get to the scene the bikes were in the way slowing them down to the rescue. 

The city foolishly built a dirt track thinking it would get them off the streets but these are not guys who want to ride dirt. 

A number of crimes have been done using these vehicles and little has worked to stop them. Also as soon as one gets hurt in a crash running from the cops they will protest police brutality. 

I would not want to be an officer today in any city. You can't win! 

Instructor

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
― Alexander Fraser Tytler

Instructor

Agreed, a distant relative of mine (John Adams) wrote, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." I am not a proponent of today's organized religion, myself, but as I understand the quote, I have no disagreement in the sentiment at all.

Technician

Then we are distantly related as not only am I an Adams, but have had a family member trace our genealogy, found him to be a member of our family as well.

Even though I AM a Christian, my sentiments about our modern day church would probably similar to your own. What's funny is that my religions namesake was pretty outspoken about the organized church of his time on earth.

Instructor

Guessing his name was Martin. I'm English, Welsh and Irish on my dad's side. Somewhere the Adams connection went to a something else and eventually a Woods. To balance things out, my Mom is 100% German. As far as religion, I'm no atheist, but have no use for the way organized religion has been specializing in fear and controlling the masses for centuries, changing the product as needed when sales decline. The autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini is quite a read.

Instructor

Great quote. We're about there right now. The vote on the Bill of Wants should be coming soon.

Instructor

There is nothing wrong with religion itself. It is merely a vehicle. It is only operated as well as the people in control. 

Like a car is only as good as the driver. Too many religions are corrupted by unworthy people in control. They put man will before Gods will. The sad part is too many fail to see the, for who they really are.

But much in the world today is corrupted. Politics, businesses, News, etc. Sin has taken control and most are unwilling to let it go. But the Bible speaks of this and I expect it to only get worse. 

Community Manager

Boy are we getting deep in this thread!