cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Spring is springing soon, better pull my thumb out.

Hello Tribe.

Nice weather, although intermittent, has me motivated.

By nice, I mean sun and low to mid 40's.

The 283 got a little noisy at the end of last season.

20190327_115031crp.jpg

So off the my personal junkyard we went.

350.jpg

What we thought was a 327 in a 1966 C60, turned out to be a 1979 350, dressed up in drag.

Valve covers and intake off a 327.

So the C60 had had a heart transplant (long block) out of another truck sometime after 1979.

Well first plan was to crack it open and see what I am dealing with, and then decide, do i rebuild the 283, or the 350, or make the 350 a 327, or just stuff in the 350.

350cliped.jpg

I cracked open the beast and to my surprise she is super clean.

20210301_174648.jpg20210301_164035.jpg

Definitely low miles, seemed to be storing the oil on the outside, probably due to incorrect PCV setup by using intake and covers off PCV 327 engine on the later non PCV block.

Easily fixed.

20210303_174329.jpg20210303_174337.jpg

After some scraping and scrubbing she will get new gaskets all around, except head, new cam, shorty headers and the TriPower off the 283.

Now it's time to decide on looks.

Paint grey and use all the grey stuff off the 283. (including stickered valve covers)

Paint Alpine Green and sticker as a 327 ? (Factory Truck engine color for 327) see remnants of green on original 327 valve covers under the blue.

Paint orange and sticker as a 350 ?

OR since the truck has Patina paint, slap some clear over the blue multi colored patina engine, and slap it in ????

Here is the current setup to ponder before giving your opinion.

20190422_162805.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Nitro

51 REPLIES 51
Sajeev
Community Manager

Man, that small block looks AWESOME!  Great work, once again! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev,

The Blue motor will either end up looking like the grey or something, detailed to a similar level, Or since the truck has Patina paint, maybe leave it multi colored and slap some clear on it. 

I can't decide.

Nitro

Rob1
Instructor

Boy the outward appearance of that motor had me scratching my head but it sure betrays what Iam seeing in the lifter gallery pan off Iam sure will be the same as far as paint JMO that grey Motor looks great nestled in that fine old American Pickup whatever you decide the look of the truck will be outstanding heck I would take that grey motor and put it in my mancave as is masterpiece of early V8 techno but Iam a sucker for multi carb setups just too cool why have one when more can be had,look under the hood of my Grand Cherokee Hemi and see enough plastic to vinyl side a dog house looking under the hood of your truck AHHH jewelry.Cheers R 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Progress.  

20210309_172228.jpg

20210309_172317.jpg

20210309_173204.jpg

Parts.

Rob1
Instructor

Man talk about timing Nitro yesterday the wife and I are out snowmobiling and today its 50 degrees melt down has begun tonight/tomorrow rain and 50 ish today packing away sleds and snow shovels making sure the Vette has a clear shot at the door two days of rain will wash the salt off the hwy maybe just maybe pull the old pile out on the weekend for a short ride fingers crossed.R

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Rob

We had 60, paint was drying on the brush.

Was able to get a bit done.

70 today but no sun.

Next week back to 30's.

Enjoy while you can, I am on a dirt road, so it is a muddy mess with this warm weather.

Nitro

Rob1
Instructor

Nitro surfin the past forum postings I see a rather unique looking huffer in your post off a Jimmy "D" what are your plans for that weapon Iam very intrigued and have a passion for forced induction,although I play with turbo,s nothing on the planet screams insanity like the wine of a blower comin down the street and looks alone drive me crazy.Cheers Rob

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Rob

I was planning on building it and putting it on a 327 or 427.

They key was to keep it under the hood, and have a bit of a sleeper.

Unfortunately had to put my Mother in a medical facility, so toy money is on hold for awhile.

Was going to feed it with Weber DCOE side drafts.

For your viewing pleasure.

20201018_162710.jpg

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Sorry to hear your situation has changed, but thanks for sharing that photo.  It really made my day. 

Rob1
Instructor

I hear you there Nitro all the planning for my retirement the one thing not taken into consideration was assisted living facility's for my parents and the costs involved not to be non feeling but growing up my experience was my grandparents lived in their own home and passed at for the most part a earlier age in their seventy's people living longer today and more issues with Alzheimer's its old folks homes and not wanting them in some government assisted institution the cost was totally unbelievable and soon chewed thru their savings and the house sale the time it was said and done it left a fair size dent in our savings just nothing I had foreseen it didn't happen to my parents so I had nothing to draw on for planning ahead.All in all of course I would not have done anything different for them but I have tried to instill in the next generation to be prepared here private care runs in and around 3 K a month for a single.Rob

Guitar74
Gearhead

I dig the grey. That 283 just looks classy. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Some more progress.

Camel hump heads installed. ( they are redone with SS valves, seats and 0.575" springs, pushrod guides.) $1400 worth of machine shop time and parts.

Cam arrives today.

M/T covers just to keep stuff out of motor.

20210313_173637.jpg20210313_173645.jpgfull size.jpg20210314_142412.jpg20210314_142416.jpg

Rob1
Instructor

Yea Nitro looks awesome you do nice work.Cheers R

jonZ
Instructor

Thumb out?? Thumbs up from me. I was planning on the same thing this winter but the slab, 24x24, and add on to my shop turned into a hay barn. It was supposed to be the motor - Xmission room but dry hay for the cattle took first place. We have also had a car show in December, January, and two so far in March here in south Alabama that has kept us busy. Also hurricane ZETA tore us new ....well you know....where your thumb reference almost mentioned. I'll attach pics on the motor project as soon as possible. Small Block Ford 260 ci that is original to my 64 Falcon Futura hard top. I'm running a 289 ci now. I wanted to rebuild this motor over the winter but it didn't work out. It'll prolly go the machine shop in the next week or so for a good hot acid bath and maybe a bore if necessary. Again, Kudos on your work and your Mom is on our prayer list. As I type this note the weather here is humid and 78 deg.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Jon

Thanks, appreciate your prays, heads were on the shelf from 3 years ago, decided to put them to good use.

Luckily no money spent on them. 

Nitro

Rob1
Instructor

@NITRO450EXP one step forward today the Vette off of blocks and out of the shop fresh tank of good juice sittin lumping away out in the driveway roads are dry yea bit O sand/salt here and there it would bother me if I were 30 something but the car will likely outlast me LOL the wife and I are going for our first short cruise of 2021 this aft cold air the rat likes and overheating issues non existent in the low 40,s March 16th  gotta luv that I do live on a paved secondary rd so no mud other then the driveway juice so plug officially removed still work to be done but lots of rainy days for that.R

jonZ
Instructor

Hey Nitro, We feel your pain. I have lost both my parents and sibling. My parents both expired in nursing homes. We were working at the time and could not take them in. My wife, sons and grands are all good to go. My father in law is 90 now and currently in Hospital (cardiac and circulation issues.) We are retired and able to keep him home unless he needs serious attention. Well enough of that! I will try to post some pics of my next engine project. I miss spoke when I said it was a 260 that was original to the car but not with the car. My car was delivered from ford with a 260 but I bought it with the current 289. After reading your post I went out to the shop for pics and got the numbers off the engine. It turns out to be another 289! I should have looked it over better when I bought it. Oh well. Such is life and this insane hobby we have. Hang in there Pard. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Mail Call today.

Cam, lifters and double roller, CHECK

HV oil pump, pickup and driveshaft, CHECK

Second MF SS Straight through muffler, CHECK

Correct one piece Felpro oil pan gasket, CHECK ( I bought a gasket set for a '79 350, but they had reused the '66 327 pan so wrong timing cover to oil pan seal, thick type on 350 thin type on 327.

Now waiting on my Break in oil, 2" SS mandrel bent dual exhaust builders kit. DUE Tomorrow

SHOULD BE A PRODUCTIVE WEEKEND.

Nitro

20210316_150138.jpg

jonZ
Instructor

You got it goin' on man! I think I'll hold off on my spare motor for now. What I'm runnin' still has plenty of HP, no smoke, perfect oil pressure etc... It's just knowing I didn't build it that keeps me wondering just how good it really is and the fact that my engine and engine bay need to be detailed. I've also scored a decent C4 xmission that I want to swap for the current Ford-O-Matic. This is what I hope turns into a kick a-- SBF. As you can tell i'm no subject matter expert when it comes to computer ops. Hang in there. Can't wait to see the end result.IMG_0567.JPGIMG_3416.JPGIMG_0573.JPGIMG_0574.JPG

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Jon

Cool valve covers. I have never seen those style before.

I may change the sticker to the High Torque 327 on these, even though its a 350

20190323_193004.jpg

Nitro

Guitar74
Gearhead

Just keep it 283 and let them believe it. 

Rob1
Instructor

That grey is hot looks proper for the vintage its understated and different to me for that engine bay its ideal Iam with Guitar let em think.R

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

More progress.

20210320_174829.jpg

20210320_192517.jpg

20210320_195706.jpg

350, ready to go in.

283 is out.

Nitro

Rob1
Instructor

@NITRO450EXP Your posts have got me motivated spring has hit here with a pop near 60 degrees today,Iam not to familiar with that year and model of your ride and unsure if what Iam looking at on the upper firewall pass side is it A/M air  Factrory air or is that where the heater core is placed.R

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Rob.

Heater box for heater core. 

Base model heater, called "Thrift Heat"

Nitro

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Weekend Progress.

20210321_205006.jpg

350 is IN, look at those headers.

Intake is just for installing.

Need to get engine mount bolts in and complete the dress up.

Nitro

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Had a little set back, the Alternator bracket off a C3 Vette, head mount for tube headers, was so twisted the alternator was pointing into space, second hand ebay parts sometimes are a bust. Guy is sending me another, but I am stalled for now.

Uhggghhhhh  !!!

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow at least the seller had another one, I've been left high and dry a few times (but never got mad about it, since I got them for cheap on eBay). 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

With Ebay's money back policy I would hope I would have eventually got my money back.

This is pretty bad.

20210323_173431.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Ouch. That might be able to be bent back into shape, but I'd be worried about its structural integrity after that. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

It's cast, I can't believe it didn't crack first time.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh yeah, I forgot they are cast...

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

It's in except alternator and bracket.

Got to protect some wires and tidy the routing. 

Then build a dual exhaust. 

20210324_200510.jpg

Nitro 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Nice. Glad to see you went with the triple carb setup. Sweet!

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Motor in, check.

Everything hooked up, check.

Dual stainless exhaust built, check.

Oil pressure, check.

Tomorrow is a big day, cam breakin.

Pic of exhaust is not great.

20210405_193508.jpg

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Ooh yeah, things are getting real now. Can't wait to hear the next update! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

T Minus 4:18:30

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Excellent!

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Well it runs.

Cam is broke in.

Two remaining issues:

1. Need to build a PCV system as the newer block does not like the non vented script valve covers, really wanted to keep them because they are a big visual part of the engine. New vented covers will get same grey paint and script stickers. Amazon lost my package of PCV bits and pieces, so I am delayed right now.

2. The old Ram's Horns exhaust had a heat riser pipe, new headers do not, so need to convert heat riser choke to manual or electric. Still investigating options.

The side effect of the PCV is a little bit of smoke when the oil haze gets injected into carb, hope the new system alleviates this.

If it doesn't then rings may be worse than i hoped, may have to rebuild the bottom end.

It never ends.

I guess it keeps me out of the bars.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

I am sure the new covers will be close enough with the right paint and decals. That's kind of a bummer, but it's also not the end of the world. PCV systems are kinda important to have. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Solution to my PCV problems.

20210416_163524.jpg

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Decals, 350 decals stuck in transit. 

20210417_093610.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

The PCV holes aren't very pretty compared to the older covers, but I think you did a fantastic job making it look like an older SBC!!!

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Final valve cover version.

I hate faking stuff, so just couldn't do the 327 high torque stickers.

20210419_130850.jpg

Nitro 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Those stickers are just as cool, but accurate.  Love it. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Thanks, I agonized for days on what to do. 😀

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Cover installed, waiting for electric choke conversion kit.

Manual choke will not work (Cable too short, and kit didn't fit.

New covers small.jpg

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh that looks amazing! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Final Update, I Hope.

I just installed a second breather on the valve cover and capped the Vac port on carb base.

If the intermittent smoking continues it is probably mechanical in nature, cracked block or bad rings.

Diagnostically i will have solved the mystery, but the fix will mean engine rebuild (lower half).

Anyhow I will kick myself later, for not just doing it the first time, but it was financially a gamble I had to take, in the hopes I got lucky and the bottom end was in better shape than I suspected.

If it gets rebuilt it will become a 327 (as the large journal, redone crank I have, is a 327 crank) and the more square numbers of the 327 just work better for me.

Also pistons will be cheaper than the work to redo a crank. (rings will need to be purchased either way 350 or 327.)

Everyone has a 350, not everyone has a 327.

Will let you know the outcome.

Nitro