Did you mean: 
Rob1
Detailer

Southerners avert your eyes-Any snowmobilers in this group

Just wondering if Iam the only car guy that embraces winter.CheersDSCF6369.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_I
Detailer

@Rob1 I started to dabble in Snowmobiles this year. My father in law has a 1971 Polaris TX Charger 300 that I got running and driving again as well as a couple 95 Ski Doos that had been sitting idle for a few years. Waiting for the riding season to end in hopes of scoring a better deal, but I’m considering picking up a sled of my own. Winter where I’m at in Michigan has been fairly mild, so I’m not missing out.

3037933D-F176-4E85-8C3B-3582F583EC76.jpeg

Rob1
Detailer

img0043.jpgXLNT gotta start somewhere for me 51 years in the saddle i remember looking at adds on the Polaris TX back in the day i thought it was so cool the motor hanging out of the hood free air motors were voodoo back then.Cheers R

Guitar74
Technician

If we actually had winter, I would. Having grown up in the Midwest, I miss it. Kids down here will never know the joys of sledding, bumper surfing, snowball fights, and snowmobiling. 

Rob1
Detailer

You said it tubing,tobaggans,winters as a kid building snow forts it was a great time,even here in the north winters are a bit hit and miss now feast or famine but the joy of being able to pick a nice mild sunny day and go for a snowmobile ride thru the forest and lakes is so good for the soul.Not to mention the sleds of today are comfortable, heated this and that, handling and braking second to none and the performance levels that can be attained is stratospheric now with Forced induction 4 stroke motors times have changed soon electric Iam sure.R

spoom
Technician

Got about 10" overnight and through the day, it probably wasn't as much fun as you remember it. Very time consuming. 😉

Rob1
Detailer

LOL doesnt come without some work I agree, that said we have the equipment to deal with it sittin in the F350 seat heaters on in my T shirt mug of coffee in the holder warm as toast plowing is fun too me, snow blower for the walks no bugs no grass to cut or leaf's to rake even at my age i find winter fun.Cheers R

Guitar74
Technician

Even Illinois doesn't seem to get the snow that they used to. At least not central Illinois. I have a pic of Dad pulling me and my cousin around on a sled beside our house that was on an elevated lot. The snow was so deep where the sidewalk was that the lot looked like it was only 5 or 6" above the grade of the sidewalk. I reality, it was between 2 and 3' difference. I think it was Christmas, 1979. 

They would plow the school yard and we would end up with these giant hills in front of the play ground. It was either a daily game of King of the Hill at lunch time, or an adventure digging tunnels in them. To be a kid in the 80s in the Midwest at winter time was an adventure. 

CitationMan
Detailer

Winter of 1979 was Chicago’s all time record snowfall. 89 inches of snow that Winter, including a blizzard that dropped 21” of snow on 2 days in January and paralyzed the city. I do not miss those days.

Rob1
Detailer

Iam not postve of the year would say 2010 give or take we made a trip to Rochester Mn to a snowmobile dealer to buy a very unique hard to find sled it was Jan or early Feb the drive from southern Ontario to the dealer was a great ride crossing the blue water bridge once in Mn we got a motel overnight and the pickup of the sled was in the morning we awoke to 35 below Brrrr got the sled and headed home we had just passed O Hare when the dry roads turned into a nightmare blizzard conditions that chased us all the way to Detroit more snow than i cared for.Cheers