Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

So I have this "CONDITION".......

Hello Tribe

I have this self diagnosed "CONDITION"

I collect parts for something I don't yet own.

Whether it is engine parts or speed parts for a car or motor I don't yet own.

Or accessories and ammunition for a collectable firearm I don't yet own.

Which ultimately, you guessed it, ends in the acquisition of said item.

Is there a name for my condition ?

No right or wrong answers.

Yours Truly 

"The Afflicted" AKA Nitro

14 REPLIES 14
Sajeev
Community Manager

I have the same problem and if there's a cure for it, I don't want it! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

The cure is $0 bank balance, or maybe that is a symptom or side effect.

😁

Sajeev
Community Manager

It's probably both.  Sadness. 

Torino
Advanced Driver

i believe it was carl jung who diagnosed your malady as " wishful thinking".

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh wow, a Jung reference...what forum am I on again? 😉 

Torino
Advanced Driver

sajeev, what are you? one of those strict freudians? - freak - you're on the automotive self help site. do they actually pay you for this?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yes @Torino I can't believe I'm getting paid to be here (and elsewhere in the Hagerty world) so please keep fun comments/posts like these coming! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Well based on the title, I guess I shouldn't be surprised the way this conversation turned?

Nitro

spoom
Technician

zumtimes a zigar iss yoost a zigar?
spoom
Technician

Well you're only Jung once, don't throw stones in a house made with Johari Windows. 😉
hyperv6
Instructor

I was called a hoarder by family. 

Till an item I dumpster dived and brought home an item  I sold at auction for over six figures.  Now I am a collector.........

True story. Made the news in LA and Forbes Magazine. 

I would have done better if not for the taxes! 

Anyways it built my man cave! 

I still regret the BFG Comp TA aluminum signs I tossed out. I had maybe over 200 of them. I kept a few and tossed the rest. Back then no one collected signs. These were the good black and silver ones too! What companies used to toss out. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

hyperV6

Everything I "collect" seems to cost me more money in the long run and never seems to appreciate to 6 figures.

I guess I am a "Bad" collector, or Hoarder.

Nice score, well done.

One day I hope to be such an educated collector and score big.

Nitro

hyperv6
Instructor

Nitro my appreciation of history and just dumb luck. 

I really don’t want to disclose what the item was but it was something at the time really was not much value but did hold historic significance. 

I kept it for years and got married moved away and my mother threatened to toss it out. 

By that point I brought it to my home and a friend said it should be worth something. Well I checked and got an estimate of $25k. At that time they had created a collectors market for the items similar to it. 

So we went to auction and did much better than early estimates and did what the auction house expected. 

It was a cool once in a life time experience.

The side benefit is now when I drag home a top fuel funny car short block and headers  or the hood off Greg Picketts Trans Am Jaguar from a race  for my man cave she says little about it. 

Guitar74
Technician

In the music world, we call it G.A.S. which stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome.