cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob1
Instructor

Retrofit fuel injection

Suggestions and experiences required a upgrade for my car being mulled over I want to move on from the carburetor experience on my early 70,s Corvette BB to throttle body fuel injection,hood clearance is critical low profile a must no higher than your average Holley no one in this area has any hands on experience, I need advise just dont want to go down a road of tears trying to upgrade as Iam not huge on the techy side.Cheers R

9 REPLIES 9
Sajeev
Community Manager

Most, if not all of the new throttle body injection units are the same height as a traditional carburetor, but you can always pull up the manufacturer specs to verify.  You will want to get an EFI ready fuel tank, luckily those are easy to get for a C3 and will make the conversion a weekend job with ordinary hand tools.  I would probably recommend Holley's latest EFI system, after my experience with FiTech's system I don't know if it's as easily tunable as the Holley.  Then again, if you come across a FiTech for a good price, I would jump on it as once it's tuned right it is amazing. 

Rob1
Instructor

Thanks Sajeev really appreciate any advise I have began a search.R

Sajeev
Community Manager

Keep us in the loop! 

Rob1
Instructor

@Sajeev Could you supply a link to EFI ready tanks for C3 Iam having a tough time finding anything here in the great white north and from what I have researched so far the remote mount pumps are noisy.R

Rob1
Instructor

@Sajeev LOL Sajeev Iam only in my 65th year .............. and yes its a 73 research here is a little tougher to find parts in Ontario when I lived near the border and life was normal I would shop Buffalo speed shops but they are 300 plus miles away now,thanks for the links seems from what iam seeing the in tank pump is the ultimate way to proceed.Cheers R

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hey now I didn't mean that! 🙂 I'm sure you are just as chipper as how your C3 will perform once you do the EFI swap! 😉 

And BTW, in general I have been very happy with Aeromotive fuel pumps, I would be tempted to buy the whole fuel system from them.  There's a lot of junk pumps these days, but not at Aeromotive. 

JimR
Instructor

👍I agree...would make an awesome thread keeping us posted on your project, especially with pictures as you progress. Who knows, it might help someone else down the road...pun intended. 😉

No personal experience but I think the process is reversible, so it might make sense to save the OEM bits if you have the room. Just a thought. 
I do have indirect experience thru friends who unknowingly bought Chinese knock-off pumps. So I would stick with the well known vendors to avoid that ‘junk’ that Sajeev mentioned.

Rob1
Instructor

@JimR  from what I can suss out a complete tank replacement with in tank pump is the best way to go and I agree with Sajeev its time anyway to drop the original tank not sure but the build sheet might very well be there and the original lines are likely crusty first amass the component's then find the time.Where we live a speed shop is a tall order so i got to make some connections with some of the guys from where we use to live quite likely do the install and trailer it down for a weekend to get the tune proper.Cheers R