cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Torino
Advanced Driver

nhra at indy, what the hell was that?

i saw a parade of pro stocks with trump/pence plastered on their quarter panels,why? every sunday morning 'meet the press', 'this week' ,'face the nation' and the like are on featuring reps, senators,and a host of people who's lives are politics. following that why the hell would i care that erica enders supports trump? does she really believe that i'm going to take the advice of someone who thanks jesus for her tune-up! does bo butner think i'm going decide who to vote for in the upcoming election because he's got trump on the side of his car? huh? does he suddenly think he's george will or....i got news for bo ,cutting a 019 light does not qualify you discuss the situation in the mid-east and i'm not looking to you for answers on the trade deficit with china.just run your car, remember that's what you're there to do. wilkerson said, "we're drag racing not curing cancer" these knuckleheads should keep that in mind. so can we please keep politics  out of racing. wont you please let me  enjoy this for simply what it is. doing otherwise is no more than an completely unnecessary aggravation with no point to it. and it's bad business. "go goodyear"

10 REPLIES 10
Guitar74
Gearhead

That's fine, but I expect it NASCAR, music, etc., as well. I have been slapped in the face with enough pandering to the riotous mobs here lately to make me vomit. 

But there is yet another side to all of this. After watching portions of cities burn from marxist groups, I stopped watching nascar upon hearing them pander for a little street cred. They are free to express their opinions, and I am free to disagree, or quit watching, which is what I did. 

The drag racers you speak of are free to express their views whether any us agree or not. And if Erica wants to thank Jesus for her tune up, although I would lean more to her thanking Him for her crew and the "W", then that is her prerogative. 

I am as sick as you are of seeing politics EVERYWHERE.  But I would argue, and this may be pure speculation, that it might have more to do with them possibly not agreeing with YOUR political leanings.

It really amazes me how people will shout "free speech" from the roof tops until it doesn't agree with THEIR ideas as it seems that when it doesn't it turns from free speech to "hate talk", "systemic racism", "close mindedness", "offensive talk that must be stopped, or at the very least a punishable legal offense attached to it for disagreeing". 

Much like you, none of these people will influence how I vote this November. But, if I have to be bombarded with the opposition to their political leanings every time I turn around (and especially when I am just trying to get the local weather), then why should anyone care about something as harmless and as inanimate as a sticker on a quarter panel, someone thanking Jesus for her situation, and something as harmless as the words that were strung together to actually thank the one who allowed himself to hang on a cross after being tortured mercilessly by his own people to save her soul? I don't and congratulate her on being bold enough to speak of Him (by him I mean the God head-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

Torino
Advanced Driver

as the old expression goes "there are two things you shouldn't discuss at a bar, religion and politics." that's the point. many places had to stop showing the news  because fights ( sometimes literally fights ) broke out. there is a time and a place for everything. racing is not the place for politics. racing is entertainment after all, even when it's your bread and butter you must know that. it's also a showcase for technology.( me, i'm F-1,  I.R.L. ,love the tech). what's going on is counter to the 'spirit' of what these events are supposed to be, and it's become increasingly common in all sports , unfortunately.

Guitar74
Gearhead

Religion and politics:The two best topics to lose friends. What you said in that statements resonates with something my grandfather told me when I was going off to school. It was true then and true now. Good point.

Torino
Advanced Driver

pearls of wisdom from our fathers and grandfathers. my father used to quote Twain ( you can't miss with clemens, will rodgers & groucho ) "when i was 14 i thought my father was a fool.when i was 17 i was amazed at how much he'd learned in just 3 years"  the best grandfather advice was from a friend of a friend. he was visiting his grandfather at the hospital. his grandfather knew he was riding off into the sunset. he said 'hey kid come here. you want to know the secret to life?- guy walks into a doctors office says doc it hurts when i do this doctor says well don't do that. " he thought crazy old man. flash ahead 2 yrs. coming home on a train, bad day, job he hates, crappy apartment, girlfriend and they're just making each other miserable-he thinks what am i gonna do? little voice in his head says "then don't do that"  

hyperv6
Technician

I have been tired of Politics in sports and the entertainment industry. 

The NFL is pushing politics when I paid too much money to see them play the game.  NASCAR is trying to be PC now and they were already in trouble. 

I can’t watch a late night show anymore as the non funny idiots just push their political a Agendas. Where is Jay Leno when we need him? 

I somewhat understand why the NHRA people are showing support as if the one side wins corporate taxes will go up and often the first thing to go is the racing programs. Also with the new green agenda out there we all may be at risk or limited as to the future of our automotive hobby. 

I work in the racing industry and we had to support SEMA and the RPM act to fight off the last administration where they tried to change EPA laws set by the house and senate to their own interpretations. They were going to make it illegal to modify any car for racing even the ones for off road use only. 

As it is the NHRA is in real trouble now as they keep losing teams due to cost and now the virus. Higher taxes could very well put them out of work. That is a lot of people and a lot of good paying jobs lost. 

I work for a very wealthy person and he pays me well and much of the profits go back into the company. It has made a great place to work and secure. 

What some people running for office forget to tell you is it’s the people making money that provide most of the good jobs. We all can’t tag along on Government work as some has to pay for it. 

I don’t put out signs, I don’t use bumper stickers except for the Gurney for President Bumper sticker Dan personally gave me. 

I know what and who stands for what and I vote. No news or late night talk show host holds any influence. Being Personally informed is the only way to vote with so much of the distortion of the truth and censorship going on. 

Torino
Advanced Driver

i don't have a gurney for president sticker but i did make myself the shirt. met him at nazareth back when they were still running there. long story short i looked over and he was standing on my left. i nodded and looked away. 'you want something to eat' he said - i said 'thanks but i'm ok'- 'cmon there just going to throw this stuff away'  -we talked for a good while really about the usual things. one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet.

hyperv6
Technician

I wanted the book on the Eagles on his web site. I emailed to see if I could get him to sign it. I ended up exchanging tire war stories and how it filtered to the suburbs of Akron. 

As kids our fathers worked for the tire companies and we wore racing jackets and rode Goodyear bikes and Firestone bikes. 

We even would stick the competitors decal in the rear window of the opponents car. 

He signed my book and put in a personal note about out exchanges and how he got a kick out of it.

A few years before I met him at Mid Ohio. He was going to sign a hat for me but had to rush off as his pole winning car was not passing tech. About two hours later I hear someone calling me. It was Dan tracking me down in the garage area to sign my hat. 

He apologized for not getting back sooner. I told him I understood as he had bigger problems going on. 

Yes Dan was one of the best people in racing not just as a driver or car builder but as a real person! 

Torino
Advanced Driver

right as a real person. when i met him he had just gotten done glad handing, signing autographs etc. the nice part was he was by himself in the vip brunch tent. the only other people were cleaning up. i don't know why he  was there and i didn't ask. as tempting as it was to talk about the race the cars his career etc. he was taking a break from it all. it would have been like me saying ' ok your coffee breaks over back to work". we had a 'do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb'  conversation. i thoroughly  enjoyed it and i would like to think that he appreciated having a 'normal' conversation, after doing pr for whomever for who knows how long. he seemed too.  i think we both agree he just had that real nice guy thing and thats because he truly was.

hyperv6
Technician

That is how my E Mail exchange went. He really enjoyed hearing them story and we had a back and fourth over two weeks. 

I have gotten to work with a number of drivers over the years and most are really great people away from the track. 

I had lunch with Dale Jarrett and he was a lot of fun. My neighbor introduced me to Bill Elliot. Another great guy.

I got to be around Aldo Andretti and he was a super guy. All his kids were class acts too. I had lunch with John Andretti back  when he was driving the Corvette GTP. In IMSA. He was just starting out. Mario and Michael were there too. Mario was not driving so he was in laid back mode. He took the time to show me how the cool suits worked. 

Nigel Mansell. I met him twice and he was a true gentleman. 

Having connections from work and also doing work for the tire companies I have been lucky to get to meet many racers. Yes there are a few idiots but most are just regular guys with really cool jobs. 

Torino
Advanced Driver

i can't say i've met a lot of drivers mechs engineers but you might like this story. i was at the 6 hours at the glenn on a sat. they were having a see the cars meet the drivers on pit lane.walking in borris said & his ( chief mech. head eng. ) were banging heads and walking out straight at me and my friend. i kept stomping forward  until we were a couple feet  apart. borris!- he looked up semi-startled -pez?- he looked at me like i was from another planet- i reached into my breast pocket and pulled out a pez dispenser with the car from cars on top, cherry pez?-  borris said said... uh... um... no thanks- then i marched past him like a man on a mission. the funny thing is, or at least i think it is, that i then turned my head and 3-4 secs, later he turned his head shook it and smiled. the that was kinda different odd bizarre joke had hit him.