cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anthony

Mustang Week: What's your first Mustang memory?

MultiGen-Mustangs-SH-102.jpg

This week we're celebrating 57 years of the Ford Mustang. The Mustang first galloped  upon the automotive scene on April 17, 1964, and it's been in continuous production ever since, making it the longest-produced Ford car nameplate. What's your first Mustang memory?

15 REPLIES 15
CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

I remember going to the dealer in 1964 with my father, who was a car-nut and family man, and seeing the new Mustang right around April or May that year.  I recall my dad being disappointed that the 'stang would not suit us since my sister was 11 and I was just coming up to 7, and both growing quickly.  I also remember being mystified as to which "trim level" was higher or lower - the chrome cove or pinstripe.  "Neither" did not compute, since all other cars had some sort of delineation between low, middle and high trim levels on their exterior....

ndemelis
New Driver

My very first Mustang memory is when my parents took me to the mall and I went on one of those automotive-related carousels. The vehicle of choice? Mustang. At the time, I probably chose it because there was a pony logo on the front. Little did I know that I would be obsessed with everything Mustang-related from then on out. 😊

5289EA51-3B06-4F48-8E30-89ACC4EE98E4.jpeg

Guitar74
Gearhead

My first Mustang memory? My Dad had a '68 fastback with a straight 6 3 speed manual. Beautiful blue on blue. This would have been around '78 or '79. He put a nice set of mags on it for about 5 minutes. After about the thirtieth guy in a week pulled up beside him and pulled the stoplight Gran Prix, the mags came off. Great looking car that looked much faster than it actually was. My second was my friend's 83 1/2 GT four barrel 5 speed.  It was maroon with the black accents. For the time, it was a wicked little machine. Made even more so after we built the engine three years later.

cdelarocha
New Driver

My first mustang memory came just at the end of high school. I was in need of a car due to the frame of my Ford Ranger turning to dust from the salty roads of upstate NY. I somehow convinced my dad to go look at this 1995 Mustang GT convertible found on craigslist. I brought it home a few weeks later. After my dad's first time behind the wheel, he comments "This thing pulls pretty good for a V6". Surprise Dad, its a V8! Fortunately, I managed to keep it straight on the road and I still own it and drive it frequently to this day. Its loud, its slow, but it holds so many great memories!

cdelarocha_0-1618327312994.jpeg

Tiffany
Hagerty Employee

My favorite mustang moment was when the original 1968 Ford Bullitt Mustang came to Hagerty headquarters immediately after it's "unveiling" at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, MI. The movie car that was thought to be lost forever was in arms reach of me, and I was able to hear the story of it's history and where it's been hiding all these years straight from the owner himself- Sean Kiernan. It was absolutely incredible. I was working when it sold at auction, but Hagerty had the Mecum auction playing on all of the internal office displays. Everyone in the office went silent, but giddy with excitement when we saw it cross the auction block knowing it was going to go for big money. We were right! It sold for $3.74 million which was the record auction price for ANY Mustang at that time. Very cool to watch it all play out. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

THAT Mustang was the reason my '68 Cougar ended up in Augusta Green ( Mercury's way if differentiating itself from Ford) which happened to be the factory color. Talk about happy accidents.

DUB6
Instructor

My first Mustang memory was:

Rhonda.