cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NITRO450EXP
Technician

Michigan Medical Fund refunds.

Any updates on when the refunds will start going out ?

Thanks

Nitro

45 REPLIES 45
Darold
Hagerty Employee

Hey there @NITRO450EXP ,

Currently there is no set date. The process is that funds have to be turned over by the state from the MCCA fund by March 9th, and insurance providers have 60 days from then to send the refund checks out. Best timeline at this point is sometime in Q2.

From the DIFS website: "The surplus funds will be turned over by the MCCA to the insurance companies operating in Michigan by March 9, 2022, and the insurers will be responsible for issuing checks or ACH deposits to eligible policyholders. DIFS will direct insurers to issue refund checks or ACH deposits to consumers as expeditiously as possible, but in no event later than 60 days after the transfer of funds"

More information can be found here - https://www.michigan.gov/difs/0,5269,7-303-13648_60666_109325---,00.html

NITRO450EXP
Technician

I have already received my Allstate checks !

Any thoughts on when the Hagerty's will mail ?

Thanks

Nitro

normwitte
New Driver

I know that the refund is $400 except for historical vehicles, in which case it's $80.  Is that determination based upon the registration of the vehicle?  Thanks.

NITRO450EXP
Technician

@Darold Is there any update on this I have 1 car and 2 bikes insured by Hagerty.

Thanks

Darold
Hagerty Employee

@NITRO450EXP not as of yet...fingers crossed it is soon though!

everafter
New Driver

Any updates? I received an email a couple weeks ago however as of today no checks.

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Got the email too, but NO Moolah.

ToolsPlus
Pit Crew

Same here, e-mail but no check.  Three cars insured.  Isn’t the deadline May 9th?  Guess they are waiting until last minute.  Progressive sent checks out weeks ago.

GN333
Pit Crew

Spoke with a Hagerty Agent this morning and she said they hadn't received the funds from the state yet.... which I find fishy. I think their just holding them. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hello @NITRO450EXP @everafter @normwitte @ToolsPlus @GN333 

I asked more folks internally here at Hagerty about the refund. We are working with the state of MI and have yet to receive your refunds from them. Once we do, we will pass it along to you as quickly as possible. If you have other questions about the refund, please visit https://www.michigan.gov/som where many helpful FAQs are answered.

You can also call our Member Service Center at 800.922.4050 to discuss further with a licensed agent. (Unfortunately I am not an agent.) Thank you.

ToolsPlus
Pit Crew

Something doesn’t add up here, the money was released to the insurance agencies in back in March.  The deadline for insurance companies to get the checks to recipients is May 9 which would be 60 days after funds were released.  Every other agency has already issued their refunds. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

@ToolsPlus thank you for informing me of this (I am a Hagerty employee, but I live outside of MI) so to better answer your concerns I'd recommend calling the Member Service Center at 800.922.4050 to get more timely information from a licensed agent. 

TooT
New Driver

Am thinkin' you need to get your facts straight...

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Well as I said my Allstate check has cashed already ! C'mon Hagerty get the stick out and get the money flowing. It's our money after all !!!

Sajeev
Community Manager

Since I can't do much in my corner of the Hagerty Universe to address your concern, I highly recommend you call the Member Service Center @ 800.922.4050 to get more timely/relevant information from a licensed agent. Thank you and sorry I personally couldn't be more helpful to you @NITRO450EXP

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev,

Since you are an employee, I am sure you are feeding back "Chatter" from the boards to your employer (Hagerty), hopefully this "Chatter" will motivate them, if they care about appearances !

As a service company I am sure they would like to quell any Negative Chatter. 

The best way to do that is to address the perceived ( or real ) issue as quickly as possible.

So indirectly you are helping. ( Thank You )

Nitro

GN333
Pit Crew

Calling doesn't seem to help much. Keep getting the same answer,that the state hasn't released funds... But we all know they have....

Sajeev
Community Manager

I believe you are right @NITRO450EXP , as this was a big part of my last job in automotive retail. I am reporting everyone's "chatter" back (there's a process for this) so don't worry about that. As long as people follow our guidelines for interactions (i.e. don't say offensive things, etc.) any and all customer concerns get routed to the right people ASAP. 😀

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev

I took your advice and called the number you provided. I have to admit the result was less than satisfactory.

The person I spoke to, gave me the same line others have reported getting "The state has not releases the funds" I then told them that the state, by law had to release the funds on March 9th, which they did, and that the Insurance companies had til May 9th to distribute them, I also stated my Allstate check had arrived and was cashed ALREADY..

Needless to say after a bunch of waffeling  and " I Don't knows" I am no closer to a schedule or resolution.

I sure hope the claims processing doesn't follow this trend.

And at this point I am seriously second guessing my Insurance choices.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

I can imagine your concern @NITRO450EXP and I am glad you are voicing them to us/me. I have made another internal request for support on this matter.

TooT
New Driver

I see you also need to get your facts straight... Am thinking you should visit the SOS website.... just sayin'

ToolsPlus
Pit Crew

just spoke with customer service and they told me that they received funds 4/25 and they have 60 days to distribute the money so they are guessing no later then end of June.  Not sure what the hold up is / was everything I’ve read says the deadline should be May 9th but from the sounds of it Hagerty will not be close to that.  Disappointing but not much we can do

GN333
Pit Crew

There is something we can do. The law in Michigan stated they had to be released no later than May 9th. End of June would be well past this and the state asks if you don't receive funds by then, to please report them to the state. All funds were released to insurers March 8th. I spoke with a state rep last night. 

NITRO450EXP
Technician

DETROIT (FOX 2) - The deadline for Michigan auto insurance refunds is almost here.

Insurers have until May 9 to send eligible drivers their money. These refunds are the result of auto insurance law changes.

Who is eligible for the $400 refunds? 

Drivers will get a $400 refund per vehicle as long as the vehicle was insured with a policy that meets the minimum requirements for road driving as of 11:59 p.m. October 31, 2021.

Which vehicles are eligible for the refunds?

Vehicles with only comprehensive coverage, such as a car that was in storage on Oct. 31, 2021, are not eligible.

Motorcycles and RVs are eligible for the refund if they were covered by a policy required for driving.

Historic vehicles that were properly insured are eligible for $80.

Trailers are not eligible for refunds, even if they were insured.

Is there anything that needs to be done to get the refund?

No. Insurance companies will send them to eligible drivers automatically.

How will drivers receive the refund?

Auto insurance companies will either send a check or deposit the refund into your bank account.

Refunds must be issued this way. They can not be applied as money toward a balance owed on a plan, and insurance companies cannot issue a gift card or offer future discounts in lieu of payment.

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev

Any advance on your side?

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hi @NITRO450EXP  (and @ToolsPlus) I received a response back. Please see below, and of course, please accept my apology on behalf of everyone here at Hagerty for this delay: 

"We're happy to report that we got the funds late last week, and our team is working fast to get checks sent by May 9th. Your check could reach you later than that due to mailing time."

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev

I have 3 vehicles insured by Hagerty ($1200) is not an insignificant amount of money.

I wish that the processing had been handled like other companies (Allstate).

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

@NITRO450EXP that is absolutely not a trivial amount of money by anyone's measure. That said, here's the latest update from Hagerty, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will get that email (below). 

"The state began releasing the funds in March, and the process for us to receive them took until last week. Our members are very important to us, and we're pushing hard to get it in the mail by the deadline. You will receive an email when your check is sent."

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev

Thanks for your support.

Nitro

TooT
New Driver

If you're tight on cash..... maybe sell a toy or 2

ToolsPlus
Pit Crew

Yeah I am rethinking my insurance options.  I’ve started to get quotes from

other companies.  Hagerty had previously been great with customer service but my interactions regarding this refund have been less then satisfactory.  Some sort of contact would be better then the crickets we are getting on this.  

My understand was that the refunds were by law supposed to be sent out by May 9th.  Right on the states website it states:  “This transfer, initiated on March 9, triggered the 60-day deadline imposed by DIFS for insurers to issue refunds to eligible Michiganders.”

I for one will be reporting Hagerty via 833-ASK-DIFS once the deadline passes.  

TomP
Intermediate Driver

I'm chuckling at how so many are pointing the finger at Hagerty.  It's almost like they don't live in Michigan and aren't familiar with the government there.  "The check is in the mail and you'll have it by March - we promise."

NITRO450EXP
Technician

(FOX 2) - With the deadline for Michigan's auto insurance refund checks to arrive to drivers nearing, the state is reporting $2.2 billion in refunds have been issued out. That's about three-quarters of the estimated $3 billion in planned refunds. 

For any drivers who had their vehicles insured by the end of October, 2021, they should have their $400 refund checks either by mail or direct deposit by May 9. 

A release from the state and the Department of Insurance and Financial Services reports $1.2 billion had been sent out from insurance companies to drivers in just the last two weeks.

"Thanks to the bipartisan auto insurance reform I signed, nearly $2.2 billion has been put back in people’s pockets and another $800 million is yet to come," said Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. "Auto insurers have one more week to issue any remaining refunds to eligible drivers, so if you have not yet received your money, be sure to keep an eye on your mailbox or bank account. These refunds will help families pay the bills and put food on the table as we keep growing our economy, creating more good-paying jobs, and lowering costs."   

As long as drivers are checking their mailboxes for envelopes addressed from their insurance companies, they don't need to do anything else. 

The state announced that $900 million had been returned to Michigan drivers on April 14, a little more than a month after the funds were originally transferred to relevant insurance companies. That was a little less than a third of the estimated $3 billion that was intended to be sent back to drivers.

The $400 refund checks issued to drivers are intended for those who had their vehicles insured by Oct. 31, 2021. The refund is part of bipartisan auto reform legislation passed in 2019 that requires the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) to issue money back to drivers. 

The MCCA reported a $5 billion surplus before the governor announced how much in funds would be returned to drivers. The organization had until March 9 to pass along the funds to insurance companies, who then had about 60 days to deposit or mail the checks back to drivers.

Refunds must be issued this way. They can not be applied as money toward a balance owed on a plan, and insurance companies cannot issue a gift card or offer future discounts in lieu of payment.

If an insurance company attempts to do this, it can be reported here.

Auto reform legislation was signed into law in the summer of 2019, after years of Michigan reporting some of the highest auto insurance rates in the country.  

Part of the reform package allowed drivers to choose reduced coverage from the Personal Injury Protection category of their plan. Prior to the reform, drivers didn't have a choice when picking their PIP rate. The reform efforts have come under scrutiny from victims involved in accidents that fear losing injury care. 

Are motorcycles and RV owners eligible?

Anyone who insured their vehicle - whether it's a car, truck, RV, or motorcycle - by 11:59 p.m. Oct. 31, 2021, is eligible for a refund. 

The amount of money drivers will receive is per vehicle that's covered under a plan. If a household has two vehicles under the same insurance plan, then the owner would receive $800.

Will drivers that didn't select unlimited PIP still get a refund?

Yes. According to DIFS, all vehicles with a proper insurance plan by Oct. 31, 2021, will get a refund. 

While reforms opened up the option for drivers to pay less for reduced coverage relating to personal injury protection, selecting one of the available options other than ‘unlimited’ will not affect the refund amount.

Are there refunds for insured historic vehicles?

The MCCA only charges 20% of their typical assessment for historical vehicles due to their limited allowable use, DIFS says. As long as the vehicle was injured by the appropriate deadline, drivers will get a refund of $80. 

DIFS also created a FAQ site for drivers to peruse if they have any questions.

Any drivers that are eligible to receive a refund but don't get a check by the May 9 deadline can contact their insurance company with questions. They may also contact the insurance department with concerns Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 833-ASK-DIFS (833-275-3437) or emailing autoinsurance@michigan.gov.

What about refunds for trailers?

Trailers are not subject to the MCCA Assessment and are not eligible for a refund. 

66STANGMAN
New Driver

I'LL TELL YA WHAT I BELIEVE THEY'RE DOING, THEY ARE SITTING ON THE MONEY THAT THEY RECIEVED FROM THE STATE THAT SUPPOSE TO GO TO US COLLECTING INTEREST BEFORE THEY CUT THE CHECK'S ON THE 9TH, I'VE CALLED 5 TIMES EVERY 3 WEEKS AND GOTTEN 5 DIFFERENT ANSWER'S, LAST TIME I MENTIONED THIS SAME THOUGHT AND THE REP HUNG UP ON ME, NOW WHATS THAT SAY, I RECIEVED MY 1ST CHECK FROM ALLSTATE WITHIN THE 1ST WEEK AFTER THEY GOT THE MONEY, COLLECTING THE INTEREST.$$$$$

CCryder500
New Driver

I agree, total BS they are feeding us. They are sitting on the $$ making interest. I just tried to call and was on hold for almost 30 min before I hung up, never got to talk with anyone.

MichClassic
New Driver

Prior to this, I was very pleased with Hagerty. But, the way they have handled this has left me with the feeling that they don't care about their members as much as they proclaim. Add to this the inability to reach a Hagerty representative on the phone and I have now begun to look at other insurers for my classic vehicles.  I will likely leave Hagerty after many years as a loyal customer.  It's a shame because they used to be a reliable, friendly, easy to reach company.  Hagerty handled this poorly at every turn and, consequently, I have lost faith in their ability (and desire) to provide me with adequate service in the future.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I have been informing Hagerty folks of everyone's concerns and frustrations presented in this thread, and have received this reply back.  @NITRO450EXP @MichClassic @66STANGMAN @CCryder500 @TomP @ToolsPlus @GN333 

"In response to comments on this thread, we want to make clear that Hagerty absolutely did not hold any funds. The refunds are being passed along as requested by the state and will be sent by May 9th. This is one of our busiest times of year, and we appreciate your feedback about hold times and communications so we can do better."

CCryder500
New Driver

Thanks Sajeev,

It does not surprise me that the State of Michigan didn't send the funds when they said they would. Just wish Hagerty would have better communicated this to their Michigan customers. At least we know someone (you) is listening! As others have said, Hagerty in the past has been great, so I hope the lack of communication and ridiculous on hold wait times is just temporary. 

MichClassic
New Driver

Even if the state  of Michigan was late sending funds to Hagerty, why did Hagerty not communicate this to Michigan customers? Hagerty was certainly quick to send an email in early April telling me they would be sending me a refund.  But, I heard nothing from them after that, nor have I been able to reach them by phone to inquire.  Spring is a busy time for Hagerty. Got it. But Spring comes every year so they should have anticipated this and staffed accordingly.  In short, there is no excuse for Hagerty's lack of communication with it's customers.  Excellent customer service is what distinguishes one insurance company from the others. Hagerty failed it's Michigan customers in this regard.  I now see them as just another insurer, nothing special. And now I will simply place my business with the lowest price provider.  Probably won't be Hagerty, especially since I don't think they understand how they failed to properly communicate on this issue.

TomP
Intermediate Driver

No explanation needed by me.  I never doubted Hagerty for a minute.  I'm all too familiar with the state's [mis]handling of money.

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Sajeev

First off thanks for your support. 

I got another mail from Hagerty saying money would be mailed on the 9th. I sure hope that is so.

I too am frustrated by the inconsistent communication and lack of clear "one voice" if Hagerty truly wants to improve, take a lesson from this and communicate a clear company position throughout the process whether it be by mail, email , forum or staff.

And frequently not just once in a blue moon.

Nitro

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Got my check today. Hooray for Hagerty. They even got the amount correct.

Sajeev
Community Manager

😳😳😳

RedditReddit

ToolsPlus
Pit Crew

I got my refund check today.  I guess the telephone representative I spoke with was incorrect, I do not know if the miscommunication was between the state and Hagerty or Hagerty and it’s employees.  I wish they would have been more forthcoming with the information.  My main grievance was primarily the lack of a clear message.  Thanks Sajeev for making an effort to communicate our frustrations to the departments you could.  It’s good to know someone is trying to help us out.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I am glad to hear the check arrived, thank you for your kind words. I am glad to have you here on the Hagerty Community, and I do my best to ensure our members' experiences are addressed internally! Not that I can take any credit for getting your check delivered...😉