cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Keeping the youth interested

Pit Crew

Can't think of anything more, but i really like your approach.

If you want kids to be interested, they gotta feel and see it. Letting them sit and start them is a big deal to them! Specially when these cars grumble and purr...! they don't hear that in today's cars!

🙂

I bought my 68 Olds 442 convertible when my boys we're 5 and 7. they are now 18 and 20. Today they spot ol' cars out to me and show interest when we go to car shows, etc.

I guess a good way to get them interested is to buy one and let them rid in it! And now, let them drive it!

😉

Cheers

Eric

Highlighted

New Driver

I'm a millennial! I feel like a lot of people in my generation love their cars, but they don't have time to spend at a car show all day (because of kids sports, work schedules, etc) so they flock to Cars n Coffee events or cruises. We have a "cruise in" on Friday nights that a lot of younger people show up to. It is literally just a bunch of people chatting in a parking lot. We do have a DJ that shows up. There are no awards and you don't register. I'm not in the traditional kind of clubs where you meet once a month and they host a big show each year. I'm in a couple of "registries" where you join a Facebook group and can talk to others, share pictures, and meet people in your area. You get a "number" for your car and a vinyl decal to show you belong. It's fun to find other people in the registry! They have us meet at a big show once or twice a year and hold cruises throughout the season for people in the immediate area. This works well for me! My Dad lets kids sit in his cars as well. The fact of the matter is, a lot of people aren't turning wrenches in their garages like the old days, and if they are, the kids are inside playing video games. You literally have to take a kid to a car show and pass on the passion. I am a girl, I grew up around cars and car shows and I built models, played with Micro Machines and Hot Wheels, and the only car I ever wanted was a Mustang. I drive one now. I go to car shows. I go to cruise ins. I love the car girl life 🙂 

Highlighted

New Driver

Hi, over the winter, I had the kids from auto class at the high school I work, replace the engine in my 1988 Caprice Classic Brougham LS I also had them do modes to the replacement engine. Unfortunately they were unable to complete the project because of the school's being closed due to Covid19.

Highlighted

New Driver

what you are already doing is spot on.  I have often thought that car shows should include...at least once per year...a model car show for the builds the kids have done. I used to enter cars I built in a local hobby shop car show when I was a kid and that is part of the passion I still have for cars and I am now 72 years old. 

Highlighted

New Driver

I take my 71 Cutlass to a weekly cruise in at a local burger restaurant. There is a man who built a large downhill hot wheels race track. He brings the track out to the cruise in twice a month and sets it up for the kids to race cars. He sells the Hot Wheels for $1 each and 100% of the proceeds goes to the local meals on wheels.  The kids love it.  And, it gives us old car guys an opportunity to show off the real thing to kids who love cars. 

Highlighted

Hey, as the youth you're talking about, this post is right up my alley. I think accepting modern tuner culture would be a huge step up. Most teenagers couldn't care any less about a COPO Camaro, but would flip at the sight of a CRX Si. A second would be to add like a video game section, like set up a TV and a XBOX.  

Highlighted

New Driver
When I take my '72 De Tomaso Pantera to car meets on the weekends in Southern California, any time I see a parent with a younster in tow, I invite them to put their children in the driver's seat and take pictures. Most are genuinely shocked but typically take advantage. What have you got to lose, a footprint on a floor mat? The smiles it brings to the faces of young kids is priceless!
Highlighted

Community Manager

We need more enthusiasts like you, that's for sure!  Great work. 

Highlighted

Pit Crew

Thank everyone for the great advice!

ill keep doing what I can. Hard during the current crisis, but we gotta do what we can for the next gen. 

thanks again everyone!

Highlighted

Hagerty Employee

Keeping the ideas flowing...

I second the idea of broadening entries to car shows, as you offer the opportunity to see and compare different cars to each other.  I started my own passion with muscle cars, but have gone through various phases of interest to trucks, exotics, British cars... now full circle.

As my car experiences grew, so did my appreciation and passion for a broader range of cars so now I’m a fully committed car omnivore- they’re all cool!

Something else that could be good, which I’ve seen work successfully, is to put the screens down and get behind the wheel- go karting is accessible and a great “gateway” to cars and driving.  The electric karting venues on up seem to generate great interest.

One more note on car shows, I agree that the time spent there can get monotonous- I’m a fan of omitting the “trophy jail” associated with a lot of car shows.  Ideas to reduce or eliminate the waiting around for awards and presentations seem to be well received.  I think that’s one of the reasons cars and coffee events are thriving- no judging, etc. just even peer to peer appreciation.  ?