cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I became a Car enthusiast.

Hey every, my names Sam. You may know me from my interview back in October. For everyone who didn’t read that, I’m fourteen and love cars. That’s gonna be my post for today, just talking about my relationship with cars. 

I can remember being eight, maybe nine. My dad, mom, two older brothers, and I went to the New Hope car show, in New Hope Pennsylvania. We pulled up to a spot, hopped out the car, and to our right was a late 1950s Corvette. I really don’t remember much about the car, other than it was this beautiful pearl white with a gorgeous red interior. It’s quad headlights looked deep into my impressionable eyes, burning the image into my brain. From what my brain’s telling me, that was my earliest car memory. 

My main exposure to motorsports and the like came from video games. Forza Horizon was the game that made 8 year old me love cars. Ripping around the Colorado wilderness in a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa and Shelby Cobra Daytona all while blasting Arctic Monkeys and Black Keys is what made me a car enthusiast. But I didn’t really know that at the time. My brain could only process what I could do in Forza. 

Fast forward a couple of years. Now, I’m 11. Life was turbulent but beginning to stabilize. I had always wanted a Razor dirtbike. I think every boy in my age range has wanted a Razor dirtbike or something like it. Fast enough to scare a child, but not enough to kill them. The perfect toy for boy. Anyways, as an 11 year old, I wanted a Razor dirtbike, so I watched YouTube videos of them. Well, YouTube has this funny thing called an algorithm. It recommends videos similar to the ones you watched previously. So, as I’m watching these videos on Razor bikes, videos for mini bikes pop up. Me, being the curious kid I was, watched those videos. And I fell in love with mini bikes. They were cool, loud, and looked like tons of fun. So I only watched mini bike videos. 

With the videos on mini bikes, and then eventually go karts, I learned that I was more interested in getting those old machines working rather than actually, ya know, riding them. Youtube also realized that, and handed internet obsessed me videos on cars, mainly classic American muscle. It was like heaven.

There’s times I wish I could forget about cars and then learn about them again. I was in a state of Nirvana. All I thought about was cars. Shelby's, Camaros, Plymouths, you name it, I loved it. I loved hearing them drive, and I loved learning about them. Cars were a great distraction for school, I can tell you that. 

But it was a fateful day in 7th grade, where I discovered my favorite car of all time. I was coming off of my critical reading class, which I absolutely despised by the way, and I walked into our school’s library. I walked up to our librarian and I asked her “Do we have any books on cars?” Her face was perplexed, then she looked down at her computer, and gave me my answer. “Sure, there's a small section right next to the elevator.” I walked over, and she was right. The selection was small, but there was one book that piqued my interest. It was Consumer Guides’ Cars of the 1960s. The book was very well worn, with the pages falling out of the book when I had borrowed it. 

I remember sitting in my bedroom and flipping through the sections and landing on the Chevrolet section. I read through it, and on the next page, it read about the Corvair. It was like falling in love. A rear engine, air cooled, flat six? With a turbocharger? Sign me up sir. After reading that, I went on my computer, and just googled everything about the Corvair for a solid hour. I loved everything about the Corvair. It's history, its controversy, the Yenko and Fitch Sprint cars, etc. 

I don’t wanna drag this post on for much longer. You guys get the gist. And to those who read all the way through that, cheers. What got you into cars?

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Wow, it's fascinating to see how video games and YouTube's algorithm really took your love for cars to another level! And its always nice to see how modern technology is making our lives better, because we hear about the bad stuff far too often these days. 

My moment came when I was in 4th grade when my parents bought our Continental Valentino...not gonna re-hash that again as I've said it plenty of times on the Community, and will likely make another Media/Blog post about it soon. 

Advanced Driver

At the age of 66 now, I'm not sure I can remember that far back so I'll cop out and just say for as long as I can remember I've been a motor head. As a side bar....reading is critical and I'm glad you stuck it out, but I'm not to sure about critical reading. The corvairs got a bad rap back in the day. One of my uncles had a Monza that was bad to the bone.

Technician

Nader used the Corvair as a platform for whatever gripe he had with GM. He was the soundbite sensationalist before there was such a thing.