cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Help identifying this race track, please!

Hello everyone!  We received a letter from a customer that we, quite frankly, could use your help with.  Has anyone lived in North Dakota (or nearby) and seen/heard about a race track that looks like the ones in the photos below? 

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.38.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.39.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.39.31 PM.png

10 REPLIES 10
OldCarMan
Detailer

The track pics need to be larger and individual, not ganged...

Andrew1984
New Driver

There was a track in Winnipeg call Kirkfield Park around that time and that may be it in the photos. There is some information on the internet about it but not a lot. I live right next to where it was and have been trying to find out more about it. 

llohans
New Driver

I'm from North Dakota and this may be the Fairgrounds in Grand Forks.  It had a dirt track and a covered seating area like that in the 1950's and 1960's that I recall.  What I don't remember is if the building in the background was there.

cw
Pit Crew

Perhaps if you can identify the flags, you may get a clue to the location.

jdenneny1
New Driver

That looks like the Iowa State Fairgrounds Track in Des Moines IA

Picture attachedIowa-State-Fair-action.jpg

JWKing
New Driver

In 1915 Minneapolis developers built a giant racing facility that was said to rival Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  The track in Minneapolis was called The Twin City Motor Speedway.  Unfortunately, by 1917 the track was out of business.  The site is now occupied by the Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport.  Here is a link to the full story: http://collections.mnhs.org/mnhistorymagazine/articles/60/v60i08p304-311.pdf  Perhaps this was the location?

KG74
New Driver

Could it be the Milwaukee Mile?

silverado
Intermediate Driver

It looks pretty big for any track in North Dakota at that time in history. I'd put my money on a track in Winnipeg area. 

hyperv6
Instructor

Unless you can focus in on a unique detail or car it could be anywhere.

Many of these track were fairground built on the same or similar plans. 

I have a fairgrounds in Canfield Ohio that looks much like this today. It still has the banked dirt race track around it. The very track NASCAR used in the early 50’s. One race was won by Lee Petty.

Another race was the only race a 1948 Tucker ran in. 

J4Customs
Pit Crew

The track looks very similar to the Minnesota State Fair grounds, early on.  The Minnesota grounds were well known for racing of all types.