cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie
Community Manager

Enter our Hot Rod Lincoln contest!

We love a good mashup and was there ever a better pairing then cars and music? The song and the car "Hot Rod Lincoln" is famous for its V12 engine in a Lincoln and more so, the deceptively difficult guitar riff.

So if you're a Hot Rod Lincoln fan, a fan of Lincolns or both—share a video of yourself playing that famous lick or a picture of your Lincoln for the chance win a Fender American Telecaster and Hot Rod Deluxe Amplifier.

Entries accepted through 31 July 2020. See the attached PDF for the full contest rules.

71 REPLIES 71
JustinSchroder
Pit Crew

Oh my gosh, I gotta go practice!

jwiley
Pit Crew

Not my hot rod Lincoln, and not the typical hot rod, but still a lot of fun for a couple of days.

Lincoln Cosmopolitan Carrera Panamericana 

https://flic.kr/p/9g1Qdi

Sajeev
Community Manager

Carrera Panamericana Lincolns are just as Hot Rod Lincoln-y as the car in the song. Maybe even more, THANK YOU for sharing! 

Sajeev
Community Manager

yeah, its not an easy song...unless you're a drummer like me! 

Tsaxman
Pit Crew

Right. I too am a drummer with perfect pitch. A professional drummer once gave me a great nickname:

"Russian N. Dragon."

Pepperalls
Detailer

I keep showing my wife a 4-door late 70s Lincoln that is for sale near us. She isn't convinced yet lol.

The guitar in the contest (if an actual American Standard Telecaster) is probably worth more than this particular example I mention. Good luck to all trying to win it.

AlanGalbraith
Intermediate Driver

Here is my Hot Rod Lincoln... A 1951 Muntz Jet. 

Not a Lincoln you say? au contraire

The majority of Muntz Jets came with a 337 Lincoln flathead and this one is so equipped. Original engine to the car. Rebuilt after having sat for 40 years by the Flathead MASTER, Vern Tardel.  This Muntz is one of ~198 made, ~40 left and is the only road going, unrestored Muntz in the world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx8SEUdFdmo

Sajeev
Community Manager

Now THAT is impressive. 

Jayreaux
New Driver

I remember your posts of the Muntz, Alan. Sadly, I never had the chance to see it in person.
But, that rosewood tele...

tuna_no_crust
New Driver

I cant play guitar, and I dont have a Lincoln, but I was fortunate enough to meet the guitarist for Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, John Tichy a few years back. Super nice guy with a huge passion for the Ford GT/GT40

Sajeev
Community Manager

No kidding?!?  Wow, you knew he was passionate just by the lyrics of this song, but the Ford GT connection is very impressive. 

Tsaxman
Pit Crew

It's my friend Bill Kirchen playing the solos on the Commander Cody albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-XJk-MUFc

The Titan of the Telecaster .... King of DieselbillyThe man Vintage Guitar Magazine calls " An American Treasure"Bill Kirchen twangin out the big one
MrKnowItAll
Intermediate Driver

Johnny Bond’s 1960 recording was very successfully covered by George Frayne (AKA Commander Cody) and the LPA. The iconic guitar lick was, iirc, done by Joe Maphis.

“Hot Rod Lincoln“ was an answer song to Arkie Shibley’s “Hot Rod Race”

HOTMK8
Pit Crew

Hot would love to throw her hat in the pile as a hotrod Lincoln!  She's earned it with her 390 RWHP original engine with a Vortech V3 SCi blower and all the necessary supporting mods that hide beneath her classic lines.  I've owned her since 2012 and she is now a show car, garage queen and robust advocate for all Lincoln Mark VIIIs. 

Here's an article and video from Prancing Ponies All Women Owned car show during Monterey Auto week...

https://drivetribe.com/p/monterey-car-week-prancing-ponies-MVTqxMwcRP6r0LQJ0NIbag?iid=dBTnGxlGSn2QGW...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_IYPFIlpKi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link  

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh now that is a beautiful Mark VIII!  Love the mods you have done. 

HOTMK8
Pit Crew

Thank you, Sir!! Definitely a labor of love. Haha!!
Sajeev
Community Manager

I wish mine was as fast as yours, but it's just naturally aspirated with a few bolt ons. 

HOTMK8
Pit Crew

I absolutely love that color! What a beauty!!!
BDK
New Driver

IMG_5392.JPGHi - I'd like to enter the Fender/Hot Rod Lincoln contest.  I don't have a vintage Lincoln in my fleet, but I thought true fans of Commander Cody and the song Hot Rod Lincoln would dig this photo from a few years ago.  That's guitarist Bill Kirchen behind me, the guy who's Telecaster licks propelled the Lost Planet Airmen for many years, and the guy who wrote the guitar lick for Hot Rod Lincoln.  Bill is an Ann Arbor kid, who played and toured with Commander Cody during their best years, and is known in guitar circles for his use of Teles - he coined the term (and wrote the song) "Hammer of the Honky Tonk Gods" describing his favorite plank-style guitars.  Bill was famous for unbolting the neck on his Tele for airline travel - even installing threaded inserts in the body after he wore out the neck attachment holes.  The instrument we are playing is called a Kelly Pinecaster - built out of recycled wood from the NY Bowery district, and in this case, it's a fat neck, no truss rod, and a one-piece construction.  The photo is from 2018 in Traverse City, MI - we hired bill to play with a few local legends for a Nordic ski party we throw every year.  Bill was a fine gentleman and put on a heck of a show for us and remains a friend to this day.  

Tsaxman
Pit Crew

Our friend Bill Kirchen is untouchable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-XJk-MUFc

The Titan of the Telecaster .... King of DieselbillyThe man Vintage Guitar Magazine calls " An American Treasure"Bill Kirchen twangin out the big one
Sajeev
Community Manager

Of course I am not eligible to win, but I felt like sharing some of my Hot Rod Lincolns: 17311292_10154523104923269_1066470420920330498_o.jpg

My 95 Mark VIII with a full exhaust, tune, built trans, etc.  My fun daily driver. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 10.41.31 AM.png

1987 Mark VII GTC Stage I : the "Saleen" that was sold at Lincoln Mercury dealerships. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 10.41.58 AM.png

1983 Continental: all stock 5.0, not fast, but waaaay faster than a turbo diesel Mercedes. 

62062_3740235664783_1612925827_n.jpg

1979 Collector's Series Mark V: the old 400 cid motor was ditched for a stroker 460 with EFI and ton of more stuff.  

JustinSchroder
Pit Crew

My entry in the Hagerty Hot Rod Lincoln Contest.

TJ21pro
New Driver

My hot finalist 3.jpgrod Lincoln

BillHanlon
Pit Crew

Not a Lincoln V-12.  Here is the second verse:

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That Model A Vitimix makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders, uses them all
It's got overdrive, just won't stall

BillHanlon
Pit Crew

Oooooooooooooops! I should have looked deeper. Looks like the original (1955) version WAS a V-12.
Geno
Pit Crew

75 MK IV75 MK IV

Dinodad
New Driver

20200721_103249.jpg

 My 1979 Hot Rod Lincoln Town Coupe 

sbilan
New Driver

E916B463-99B6-4662-8DF5-31D73AEA89FA.jpeg

 here’s a beautiful car

davefromoro
New Driver

my 47 hot rod full custom lincoln, all modern 5.0 litre lincoln auto power windows, power top, power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes mustang 2 front coil overs, and rear buggy spring replaced with nice long normal springs, and much more. this is a true hod rod lincoln.

ak96ss
New Driver

It's a work in progress...

1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V

Bonheider
New Driver

I debated doing a video, but my cell phone camera is pretty terrible. The audio would probably be worse. Didn't stop me from dusting off Hot Rod Lincoln for the first time in a while though. 

This is my 1979 Lincoln Mark V with 28k original miles. Even the 8 track player still works, and I've built a Bluetooth adapter to jam some more recent tones through the original stereo. 

imagejpeg_0.jpg

My 1969 Lincoln Mark III was a labor of love for about 5 years, including new paint and interior. It still sports its original 460 4V and is a head-turner in and out of the car show circuit. 

IMG_0502.jpg

And this is the Fender Telecaster (lovingly known as the TeleBastard) I built to take along in the 1969 Mark III for car show season. You can't see it clearly, but there's even a small gold Lincoln logo under the bridge. 

20200722_101852.jpg

mrknighterrant
New Driver

Spoiler

mrknighterrant
New Driver

Met Bill Kirchen several years ago in SLC at the Dead Goat Saloon, before it closed. Great guy. Enjoyed hearing him play Hot Rod Lincoln, of course. My current car is a bicycle and a pair of running shoes. 😎

inbound5965327971322226495.jpg

TJ21pro
New Driver

finalist 2.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Welllll, I guess a Mercury Grand Marquis with Town Car Cartier wheels is close enough. 🙂 

FastBill
New Driver

9BEED0DC-F460-4FFC-A30D-66034E83007C.jpeg

alfadave
New Driver

49 LINCOLN.jpg

A REAL "HOT ROD LINCOLN"! And I actually race it. Eat your hearts out!  Dave Buchanan, Menlo Park

AUTOARCHITECTUR
New Driver

A great companion to your 54 Chrysler Hemi....  Very nice.  I would assume the Chrysler is much faster....  (From the gentleman with its Chysler twin)  

Chevyspeednut
New Driver

This is my 78 Lincoln Mark V.  It has 34,000 original miles.  This winter I am hoping to pull the engine and really make the 460 big block sing.

angle.jpegseats.jpeg

Lincolnracer
New Driver

This my 1970 Hot Rod Lincoln MKIII. It weighs 5,030 lbs with the driver. It’s been as fast as 11.17 @ 120 mph in the quarter mile. It’s sporting a stroker 514 cubic inch big block Ford with John Kasse cylinder heads and makes 700 horsepower at the flywheel. I started racing in the Factory Appearing Stock Tire class and won my class at Atco raceway this month. 

51540099-54C8-4B69-B737-D0A665CBC606.jpeg

2131B557-7EEF-4A6C-AC1D-8BA4F07A1E3A.jpeg

mfs66
New Driver

mfs66_0-1595534072400.jpeg

2017 MKZ 3.0 AWD 400hp/400lbft

Meet Rocket my Hot Rod Lincoln!

omac
Pit Crew

My 1972 Lincoln Mark IV 

IMG_4317.jpgIMG_4029.JPGIMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4028 (2).jpg

Cjwatt90
New Driver

0E8176E5-E7CD-437C-B93D-40EF073FED8D.jpeg

Cjwatt90
New Driver

98F745AF-BEDF-42BC-B13A-D4B52D3943F6.jpeg

VILink
Pit Crew

Great car! Always wanted one after seeing one in Los Angles.
VILink
Pit Crew

Desert Lincoln: 351, 750 Edelbrock quad carb with Edelbrock high rise manifold, MSD. HPIM1647.JPGHPIM1648.JPGHPIM1649.JPGIMG_3511.JPG

omac
Pit Crew

Awesome Lincoln. 

RallyeRalph
Pit Crew

This is an ad for a Lincoln I sold over the weekend to a Chrysler engineer who wanted one like this since he was a kid- and he's happy. I sold it for the estate of a close friend and thought it would be tough selling a luxury car with a stick shift. Not at all. Several responses and sold in three days! Check the last lines.

LS 001.JPGLS 019.JPG

RARE BIRD !!!  2000 Lincoln LS 4door with a 5-speed. Yes, a stick and a clutch in a luxury car.  "Drive me to drinkin' with that HotRod Lincoln". This is not my car. I am selling it as a favor for the estate of one of my oldest friends who passed away 3 weeks ago. I got it for him in the first place, and finding one is no small feat. This is from the period when Ford owned Jaguar and this is basically a Jaguar S-Type with American electrics. Quick, agile, comfortable, actually defines the overworked term "Sports Sedan". I obtained it for Bob in December, 2001. He was always a car guy and when he passed he owned a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville (stick) that he purchased new, a 39 Ford street rod, a 67 Eldorado convertible, a 2016 Accord EX-L daily driver and others  He was a mechanical advice columnist for the national Cadillac Club newsletter. He was an expert on auto maintennce and any inspection of this Lincoln will show what good and regular care can do for a car. He was more than that- he was **bleep** about his cars. He always bought a "beater' to drive in the winter and kept his babies in the garage in any inclement weather, The brake calipers and rotors, always first to rust, are shiny like they are two months old. This is a great road car- before he became ill he and his lady friend would drive the Lincoln on long summer trips to visit car mueums and used it to once drive the length of Route 66. Actual 80, 571 miles, looks like 5000. Body, finish and interior sparkle like it's one year old instead of twenty. Perfect? No, the only defect I can find is the A/C needs a recharge. That's it. Tires, brakes, all mechanical and cosmetics excellent. Bad news? If you only have one leg or are a just plain shiftless person you won't be able to drive this. We want to get you in our clutches. Get on the stick and see what mint means.

Ivy
New Driver

1976 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

I have had my hot rod Lincoln for over twenty years. I recently dug out the paperwork to find out when I actually bought her, 1997 it turns out. 

I discovered the slightly tired and faded 1976 Lincoln Mark IV, Jade Luxury Group Continental hiding in a garage near my house. We had just bought a home and another car was the last thing I needed. Some green traded hands and I was one Mark IV richer.

It seems  was fated to own this car as I had been given the brochure for this very year Mark IV back in grade school in the UK and still have its well-thumbed pages.

Over the years she received a new built 460, a three inch drop with custom springs from Eaton Detroit and a unique louvered hood by Oddball Kustoms. Various wheel and tire combos, finally settling on vintage Western Star Wires. Stainless duals and a vintage eighties aftermarket stereo, wired to play an equally obsolete ipod, provide the music.  

Check out the YouTube video of the louvers: https://youtu.be/hT9am4aBD2o

My hot rod Lincoln "Ivy" has gone to car shows, driven the children to school (the oldest is now in law school), been a daily driver and commuter, though harsh Canadian winters. Some years she slept outside under a cover, others she lingered in storage.

Sold new in Florida the paint on the Mark was pretty dull to start with but two decades of use meant she had developed a patina that any rat rod would envy. Rust was kept at bay by annual rust proofing applications, filthy but effective.

I learned basic tech keeping the Lincoln functional, brakes, carbs, timing, suspension, etc. Worse job, rebuilding the tilt steering column. Shout out to the four wheel disk brakes that surely saved my life on one memorable occasion.

Other Marks came and went, two 1972s and a 76 T-Bird but the dark jade green 76 stayed. Totally reliable she ran like a big block Swiss watch. I always said that this was the car to survive an apocalypse, I just thought it would be zombies not the Captain Trips super flu. 

The Covid shutdown meant new life for Ivy, I spent two weeks stripping all the chrome, anodized aluminum and vinyl filigreed trim off her. Another two weeks stripping off all the faded paint and surface rust. Amazingly the only rust out was at the bottom of the rear window under the thickly padded Normandie grain vinyl roof.

I have also been busy searching the countryside online and in person for upgraded trim pieces and other parts now seemingly made of unobtanium. Once I could visit wreckers yards and find willing donors but the age of the dinosaurs has passed and now even their bones are scarce.

The body will be in paint soon, baggies of bolts, polished chrome swaddled in bubble wrap take up space in the garage, office and under the bed.

Will the Lincoln project or Covid end first? My money is on Ivy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h162q39e4q064gy/hotrod_lincoln.jpeg?dl=0