cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guitar74
Gearhead

Drive 'em if ya got 'em

There was a comment on one of the articles that lit a fire under my butt. So today I pulled the cover off of my '76 and drive her to work, in the rain, without a bath (the car that is. Here in humid 'ole Georgia, your car won't get dirty under cover, but will get a lovely mildewy buildup). Here are some pics.

IMG_20201216_092856570.jpg

IMG_20201216_093043923.jpg

IMG_20201216_093043923.jpg

IMG_20201216_093139410_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201216_092945397.jpg

 This car was bought in this condition for $1800. The paint, interior, roof, and mileage are original with one exception, the engine. When Dad bought it, it had an intake gasket leak. The shop that he took it to left the rags in the valley that they out there to keep out dirt, and installed a new valley pan over them. Destroyed the original engine. They bought him a new one and paid for the shop of his choice to put it in. I helped him out with the dual feed carb, ported and polished 2v cleveland heads and intake off of my 400, bought him a 351 C 4v cam and a double row timing chain and gears. This way the mid 70s spec Cleveland timing set with approx 4 degrees of retard could go the way of the dodo. I had no idea that two years later I would be bringing home with me.

19 REPLIES 19
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Unfortunately for me the snow is on the ground and the SALT trucks have been out already. No driving of anything that you want to keep more than 5 years will take place now. Damn SALT.

Nitro

Guitar74
Gearhead

Like I said, I miss living up north until I read a post like yours. I will take the hot summers and mild winters any day.

gerald102413
Detailer

Being from Connecticut and living currently in Southern California, I'm happy and blessed to be here in the West Coast in terms of not dealing with the rust and salt corrosion on my ride. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Why don't you rub some salt in the wound while you're at it. 😉

JimR
Instructor

Yep, here in the Midwest my stuff is usually up from about Thanksgiving to Easter. But on the bright side, I just got a second lift in my work-shop,  the cars have a few things that need addressing, the humidor is stocked and I just picked up a bottle that said the contents are 18 year old. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

A lift , huh? I AM envious! There comes a time in a man's life when being on your back whether it's in a garage or on your driveway, is just a p.i.t.a.

JimR
Instructor

Yeah, and that time in this man’s life came several years ago. If you’ve got the space it’s well worth it IMO. 

jonZ
Instructor

I should be so lucky!! A lift would be a God send for me. I'm still dependent on ramps, hydraulic jacks, jack stands etc... But hey.......I still love it!!!!! Here in south Alabama we don't have the salt, unless your on the coast, but nothing like the ass fault they put on the roads up north. Sweet Ford you got there Guitar74, glad to hear you're using it. After the storms we had down here this summer the weather is OK for now. We actually have a local car show scheduled for 12-19-20. Hang in there yall.

Guitar74
Gearhead

Thanks. Next week it's the Galaxie.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

When I added to the workshop, Pole Barn, I aligned the front roof lines, that resulted in a 10x10 door, but a special low clearance track, In Hind sight I should have just done the 12 foot ceiling and than I could have my lift. Live and learn I guess.

Nitro

WRLotus
Detailer

OK,let's go back to the dreaded SALT. 

It's still the rainy season here on this part of the west coast so last week I took advantage of an occasional sunny day to take the car out for a drive. Sunny and cool but no danger of frost. Why those knuckleheads at the city engineering department decided to put brine down, I have no idea. Must be my tax dollars at work. Still, I was not pleased to find wet de-icing solution on the road with no way around it. 

Now we're back to normal with a few days of rain to wash the crud off the road and today it is bucketing down. Perfect excuse to take the car out again and use Mother Nature's car wash to clean off the undercarriage. I guess my 3 year old granddaughter isn't the only one in the family who goes looking for puddles. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

My dirt road is now mud, all the salt has migrated to the dirt, stopping it from freezing, and turning it to mud, yay. Wish I had some puddles to clean the mud off.

Nitro

Guitar74
Gearhead

I remember seeing that scenario in central Illinois back in the day. While the people in the warmer parts of the country are wishing they had a white Christmas "just this once" I would be wishing for some crazy music biz scenario where I get flown to L.A. to meet the execs ant Sony, or for someone to put me out of my misery. 

The dirt roads don't fair to well in winter time.

jonZ
Instructor

I hear ya Nitro450XP. My shop started out as a hay barn. 30x30. Got the 12 foot ceilings but decided to use it as my shop. The problem is I only poured a 4" slab and dont trust it to anchor a lift. But hey...I aint givin up yet. Thinkin bout puttin up another one..same dimensions but at least a 6" slab and use it as a working shop and keep the one I have for the parking spot. 

jonZ
Instructor

hey Guitar74..I love the Galaxie's. My favorite in the 63 500, hardtop. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

The '63 is one of the most beautiful. I am kind of partial to my '65 500XL even if it is a small block. 

jonZ
Instructor

We did have the car show I mentioned on this post . Nothing big, but for a good cause. The funds we raised will buy some Christmas gifts for unfortunate kids. My wifes 63 convert took a third and my 64 took a second. My pard's 40 Ford Business Mans coupe took best of show. I wish he had stayed home!! Just kidding. It was well deserved. 

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Sweet ride! 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Thank you, sir.