cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Do you give your cars or motorbikes a nickname?

Many car and motorcycle enthusiasts do, myself included. But not always. For me, a name has to flow, never forced, fit the machine itself or it's character. Of all the motorcycles I have owned, only one was christened; my Honda ST1300. With it's big V4, it was a rocket ship for a Sport Touring bike. Torque monster that she was, I could lug the engine down to 2000 RPM in 5th gear, whack open the throttle, and she would jump to warp speed. Only one name was fitting for her: The beaST. 

003.JPG

The one truck I ever had, a Ford Explorer, was given a name by my wife. Even before the Ford aged and became a money pit, my wife called it the Ford Exploder. "Babe, can I borrow the Exploder today?" The name stuck.

I never had a vehicle where I tried to come up with a name, until now. When I brought home my Mazda Miata, my wife asked me what I was going to name her. "She's awful cute. How about cutie pie?" Really?

It took two years and a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway to summon up a suitable name. Our lodging in Bedford, VA was the Peaks Of Otter Lodge, right on the BRP. On day two, we took a hike up Sharp Top Mountain, accessed right from POO property😁.

Once at the summit, the views are outstanding. From our vantage point, we could see down to the lodge and the parking lot. Visible in the lot were five cars side by side, my Miata being one of them. They all looked very small. I said to my wife, "check out our Miata and the cars in the lot. They look like a set of matchbox cars." Light bulb! We both looked at each other and said, "That's it! Matchbox! That's her name!"

The name stuck.

014.JPG

To this day, she's known as Matchbox. Even when my driving buddies call to go for a drive, it's "Hey. Wanna take Matchbox for some exercise today?"

Fits her perfectly.

What is your vehicle's name history?

14 REPLIES 14
spoom
Technician

nope

hyperv6
Technician

Sorry you only name kids and dogs. Cars, bikes and trucks already have names posted on them. 

To me it is a bit odd to name an object with a personal name. Do we name out TV or ladder? No. 

spoom
Technician

I guess the TV could have been named Phil (co)

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Nice! 😂

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Still working  on the name for my ladder.

Guitar74
Technician

I had an '84 Corolla in college that would get, "Come on you p.o.s. STAAART!" yelled at it a lot. I guess I have named at least one car.

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Ok. That counts.

In conversation: "So, what are you driving these days?"

" Oh, that p.o.s. Toyota over there."

😁

jonZ
Instructor

I have always named my cars and bikes. Currently my 64 Ford Falcon Futura 2 door hard top is "WHITE LIGHTNIN' ". Never ran shine in this one but the name is fitting. Too many to list here but this post has me going back in time in a good way. As a side bar... I did have a chevrolet Astro Van  also known as the A-- Hole van. A literal POS.

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

I think moto guys name their bikes more than car guys name their cars, especially touring motorcyclists. At lest in the groups I hang with.

jonZ
Instructor

No Toyotas' ...Yet.  Always wanted a true JDM 240 Z but never pulled the trigger.  Had my share of bikes. Foreign and domestic. Best one hands down is my Yamaha 1600 Midnight Star.   

Guitar74
Technician

I always wanted a VMax. I rode one and from experience can tell you that the VMax was one wicked Yamaha. Scary fast!!!

Miatabob
Intermediate Driver

Truth!

The V-Max was one bad-ass muscle cruiser in it's day.

I wonder what it's car equivalent would be....... a Hellcat maybe?

Guitar74
Technician

Hard to say. I would think Hellcat, or something along those lines. The update they did to the VMAX in 2010 brought the horsepower up to 197. That is SCREAMIN' on two wheels and 500-700 lbs.

Syclone1028
New Driver

My current truck's name is Twomater. It's a play on the Disney Cars movie character Towmater. Long story short, I bought an old truck and named it Mater. I then rebuilt that truck (used 4 trucks to make 1). It didn't seem right to keep the same name so that's why the "Two" was added.