cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Your significant other's opinion of your car?

This week's Community Question stems from my experiences with a friend on YouTube. That's right, I was asked to submit my truck (2011 Ford Ranger) for a somewhat-scientific, totally unscripted video in a series called "Women React to Cars"!

I had a blast doing it, and it got me thinking: What have others experienced with their vehicles on: 

• First Dates
  • Random meetings at bars, clubs, public events, etc. 
  • Just showing up in any vehicle and any ol' time

And if anyone's interested, here are the vehicles used in the video series and their final rankings. 

218400311_290556896200890_4876914276062771332_n.png218066003_1148403919014505_524729725013096154_n.png

34 REPLIES 34
Rob1
Instructor

LOL Sajeev wow hangin it out there for all opinion's HMMM size matters what's that all about LOL as a kindred spirit (drummer) back in the proverbial day more girls attracted to musician's than gearhead's but the macho guy thing was the car and the girls that hung out presumably to sus out the Alpha that said and not to be flamed to death I have had my rear-end handed to me in more than a couple of street encounters in the distant past by the female form including my wife to be who's father had a Corvette BB while I was in a under powered 66 Cyclone.Luv the vid got a real kick outa it Sajeev and your driveway looks heavenly i got a soft spot for Lincolns' yep owned pickups and sorta still do the wife commandeers it for horse trailer pullin but yea back in the day everybody needed U to help them move getting the Vette solved that maybe run for coffees.Cheers R

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hey, you gotta be who you gotta be. 🙂 

Rob1
Instructor

U are doing just fine in my eyes keep up the great journalism I now know a TV star.Tip of the Hat,Rob

Sajeev
Community Manager

And if anyone's interested, here are the vehicles used in the video series and their final rankings. 

218066003_1148403919014505_524729725013096154_n.png218400311_290556896200890_4876914276062771332_n.png

hyperv6
Gearhead

It mattered little to my wife and most women I dated what car I had. 

In fact it was months before my wife saw my sports car when we started dating. Then she drove it with no power steering and that was the last she drove it. 

To her cars are cars and she lets me enjoy my hobby because she understand my automotive passion was there when she arrived and understand it has always been a big part of my life. 

Right now she has a brand new GMC Acadia Denali and it is her fsvorite vehicle she ever owned. She is happy. 

She sits through races and has tolerated my Diecast  collection. And even let me decorate one of our bathrooms in an automotive decor. 

It is a matter of finding someone who accepts you for you and let’s you be yourself 

Cars rust and fadeaway but a good relationship is tougher than finding an affordable Ferrari. 

Mickthomas
Pit Crew

Exactly true! There are no affordable Ferrari! 

hunternicholas
Intermediate Driver

I'm fortunate regarding spousal understanding in my love of vintage cars.

So to keep harmony in having a peaceful household we set a limit on how many vintage cars I'm allowed to have.

Other than my daily driver, I'm allowed- zero.  I have four.

Reinhold_Weege
Advanced Driver

Any woman I've ever seriously dated (including my wife) has always been side-by-side with my car hobby and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like to think it's because I've kept it interesting... Road trips for some oddball Mopar will also include stopping somewhere along the way she'd like to go (especially if the scenery is otherwise lame). However, by-my-side can also mean wet-sanding clear or handing me the 10mm socket if I'm flat on my back. 

I suppose the trade off for her is knowing I can fix the furnace-AC-sink-washer-etc, remodel the kitchen, assemble kids toys, and all the other stuff her friends and their husbands are at the mercy of bandits to have done. 

But in all honesty, they've all been enthusiastic; if not gearheads. Luckily my father-in-law was from the School of Mass when it came to getting cars for his daughters. (Sajeev will like this...) Her first was an '88 Town Car and instead of rebelling, she loved it. She drives our whole fleet of old/weird cars and gets a kick out of the attention. Plus I'm a 3rd Gen employee at a Detroit OEM, so cars around here are life.  I don't see how people do it any other way.  

Sajeev
Community Manager

Bless your father-in-law for what he has done for your wife, for you...and for me on this wonderful day. 

kls2021
Pit Crew

I drive a 2019 Redeye Widebody.  My Spouse drives a 2021 RS 7.  I get clowned on the regular. 

ACG
New Driver

She thinks I am a car hoarder - just like the show called Hoarders. But so long as I can find a place to stash them it won’t matter. Next up…maybe an old Boxster might be a nice addition to the 944 and 911 along with the VW Beetle!

Bostwick9
Intermediate Driver

No S.O. But I have three cars, one for 40 years now.

Happy cars happy life.

AG1962
Detailer

Weeelllllll….. when we met in 1988, she knew I was a car nut before she ever saw me… so she was warned! But it has not all been smooth sailing, to be honest. I have been more of a project-car guy than a classic-car guy, and that has caused friction (undependable cars needing constant work, mainly). But now, given recent injury and fatality stats, she — and the kids — simply will not travel in any car that does not have a full suite of airbags, so my days of nursing old bangers are probably over. I can’t really object to their preference even if I am not much bothered by the lack of airbags, especially if there are shoulder belts. I guess I’ll do my tinkering on motorcycles and scooters now!

CorvairNut
New Driver

She not only supports my classic car hobby, she has two of her own. And, that's how we met. I just bought my 5th Corvair from a couple in Iowa when I saw the Corvair pickup she had just bought from them still in their driveway. "You should friend her on FB." I did and later that year she drove it from Maryland to the Woodward Dream Cruise. We met up for dinner and car watching every evening that week. By the end of the year we were engaged.

Now we have 4 Corvairs in total between us. Life is good!

tech-eh
New Driver

My wife has said ok to my many  cars but no to any motorcycles that started  37 years ago .

Now due to a unfortunate series of events  she is now disabled and has a hard time  moving  around but get her in a car as the navigator and look out . We love to drive all over North America  oh  she chooses the destination while I chose the car .

Looking at my daughters old Volvo speaks volumes for me passing that passion on ...

win59
Detailer

My wife enjoys the cars - not as much as I do of course!! - but she enjoys the trips, events, and people so we both have fun playing with old cars!

TonyT
Instructor

My wife (fortunately) had a father who was kind of into cars, but wasn't a skilled mechanic by any means. He was adept at bolting things on, like curb feelers and necker's knobs, but beyond checking/adding oil to whatever wheezer he was driving, he was out of his depth. To his credit, as an old-school draftsman, he was responsible for the majority of the drawn plans for the current LA Metro rail lines, so there's that. When we met, my wife drove (and still owns) a '77 Toyota Celica GT Lift back with an automatic trans. It would barely get out of its own way, and when she turned the A/C on, it got even slower. One day while she was at work, I "borrowed" it and took it to my friend's transmission shop and he and I swapped in a 5 speed that snagged from a local salvage yard in about four hours. I picked her up from work and said that we had tuned up her car, and she had to thank my friend Dale (shop owner) in person. When she opened the car door, her eyes grew wide and she was ecstatic! She is a rarity in that she enjoys rowing through the gears. When we were shopping for a new beater, she insisted that it be a manual, so she now sports a stick-shift HHR. And when we became serious about each other, she was looking at old photos of my military days and keyed on the two Z/28's I used to own, a '69 and later a '73. There are now three projects sitting outside of my home shop; her Celica, and two Camaros, a '68 and a '73 Type LT that will have three pedals when they hit the road. Did I mention that she has her own Craftsman toolbox? She is the epitome of a keeper!

1stGenCamaros
Pit Crew

My wife and I have always been car nuts. We too had a Celica like yours, with the 5-Speed manual. Bought it used from friends in 1981. The silver paint was oxidizing so I had it repainted black. We had it for 7 or 8 years. It was a blast to drive! Had 68 Z/28 from 80 to 2001 too.

Maestro1
Instructor

Sajeev, well done. My Adored doesn't like big cars a la Chrysler New Yorkers with big inches under the hood, relaxed '60s Lincolns, and so on. Good friends of ours moved to Massachusetts, Bless them, after the fires in California and I ended up with their Honda Accord, old and slowly fainting. I fixed it and kept it, strictly for sentimental reasons and

at 305,000 miles and change it runs like a prince. Adored loves it. Another member of the

family is a 1980 Japanese Pickup which everybody loves, I'm not selling it and it has what we think are 160,000 miles original although I can't prove it. It''s a mess, runs like a prince VERY SLOWLY and she thinks it's "cozy".

RickL
Intermediate Driver

Have been married to my high school sweetheart for 41 years. We grew near Lebanon Valley (stock cars and drags) sp she knew what she was getting into. The first time she met my Dad we were at the drag races and my Dad was yelling at me to hold the funnel as he was pouring Sunoco 260 into the SC/Rambler. So she knew we were a "car" family. She has been with me through 68 AMX 390 4 speed, 1975 Yamaha RD350 (with expansion chambers), Our first "new" car 84 Mustang 20th Anniversary Model (still have it), MB 560 SL, etc... and through it all she enjoys it. We currently have 5 cars (none real big $ cars), and do have fun in all of them. We grew up dirt poor and have had a great "ride" together. A partner that enjoys (or at least tolerates) our hobby makes it a lot easier and enjoyable. Keep DRIVING and having fun. 

Dhturk
Intermediate Driver

I remember (rode a friends) the Yamaha RD350. If I remember correctly, Kenny Robert’s blew the competition away on an engine designed essentially by placing two of the RD350’s together.

jackinthesac
Pit Crew

Our 1957 Thunderbird title is in her name only. what does that tell you?

Dhturk
Intermediate Driver

My wife knew I was a car guy since we dated. I got her a used car (1965 Plymouth Valient) for $70, and spent another $150 personally replacing stuff, and giving her a nice ride considering the price (1975). When I retired, I picked up a 51 Ford F1 that needed some work. She’s grown into it, as long as it doesn’t take up too much of my time, not too much space in the garage, and most importantly, is available for “garden center” runs (bags of whatever, and shrubs, trees, etc.). 

1stGenCamaros
Pit Crew

I have been in love with cars since I was about 6 or 7. Was mesmorized by a neighbor's new 67 Camaro that laid rubber in the first 3 gears every time it left their house when I was 9 or 10. My Dad always had a company car. Nothing ever exciting, just transportation. Met my wife (to be) when we were both 18. Much to my delight, she loved cars too and knew what the Muscle Cars were at that time. We have been married 41 years now and have enjoyed a variety of vehicles along the way. While she never had interest in turning wrenches, she never hesitated when  cars needed hand washing. Some of the more interesting rides we've enjoyed along the way . . . 68 Camaro Z/28 (Yep bought one in 1980, owned it 21 years) 77 Toyota Celica GT liftback 5-speed, 1980 Corvette, 65 Impala SS, 82 Z/28, 56 Ford F100 Pickup, 57 Chevy 3100 Pickup.

In 92 I Purchased a New Toyoya Pickup, Exra Cab, 4WD, Black. It was my daily driver until we moved to SW Florida 6 years ago. It is now my "hobby" vehicle, enjoying the easy life. I almost never see a truck like mine around here. I get followed and approached now and then asking if I will sell it and comment what a great restoration job. I politely respond I am not selling it. My favorite part is when I tell them it has not been restored. So to finish this novel, I have owned it for 29 Years. It has 173,000 on the clock. The funny part, my wife has never driven it. She drove several manuals in the past. I taught her how in the 80 Vette. That was the last manual she drove. Sez she cant remember how. Gave up offering a refresher course a long time ago. None the less, She's a keeper. She's car lover too.

BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

My wife does not care about my cars. And personally I don't give a damn if she cares or not.

DaveA
Detailer

Yep! It’s ok if someone doesn’t share a passion with you. My wife doesn’t care about cars (seems most women don’t), and I don’t care about her shoes. Life goes on.

SteveA
Pit Crew

About 10 years ago I was seriously considering buying a new Camaro to go with my C4 Vette and my bride of 47 years said "why don't you buy a vette". I now own two original owner Vetted a C4& C6.l

Mickthomas
Pit Crew

Honestly she loathes it. She DOES however value my ability to fix her Subaru, as well as the vehicles of our adult children! But for me and any car projects - yah…

retro57joyMM
New Driver

My wife was fine with my  '57 Chev,  as soon as I got rid of the  strong, sickening  fumes from the engine blowby, road tube,  and the carb. And,  As soon as the  fuel injection system was up and running,  I had a willing partner happy to ride in a  over  1/2  century old car...  Cruising was now not alone....... Good times...

dhomuth
Intermediate Driver

My first wife didn't care for my car collection one damned bit.  But interestingly enough, the last car she owned during our marriage was a 1976 Datsun 280Z 4-speed.  She owned it for years even after the divorce.  I met my current wife through my 1978 280Z Black Pearl at a party in 1981.  She thought it was parked in a bad place and someone might hit it.  I suggested she move it if it was a problem.  She thought I was being a jerk (she was right) but I did have that nice car.  That was 40 years ago.  She was good with my car hobby through two upgrades of the Z.  But she was really good when I found the 1966 Corvair Corsa convertible I had originally  bought in 1968 the night before I went to Viet Nam the second time.  I had lost track of it, but it showed up in 2014, though very badly redone.  When I told her that I had found it, her reply was "I know you and love you and I know you will Never rest till you have it back.  So get it back here and we'll deal with it."  A lot of time and money later, the car is  Very close to being a 95+ point concours restoration.  She is looking forward with anticipation to putting the top down and taking a drive with me.  On her own, after she got acquainted with my 280Z, she owned a SAAB Sonnet III, a 99 EMS, a 900S coupe, a 900S 5-door and finally a 9-3 turbo convertible.  So she developed her own sort of car hobby interest, and she shares and supports mine.  I fully intend to keep her.

Tinkerah
Technician

My wife encourages me to build/buy/spend time fixing whatever I want. It makes me happy to keep her small fleet of aging Sidekicks/Samurais/Trackers running as well as I can. And great to finally hear your voice Sajeev! Where can we hear your drumming? With our Drive at Dawn hats!With our Drive at Dawn hats!

Sajeev
Community Manager

I will try to get a video of my drumming next time Jack Baruth shows up for an impromptu jam session. 🤣

Tinkerah
Technician

"Hot Rods and Rock & Roll" has been my catchphrase for decades!

Jnick
Detailer

When I first met my wife she had an MGTD, a TR3 and 2 MGB’s. I couldn’t believe my luck! I had a 69 Z28. Well the TD had a broken crankshaft, one MGB was a basket case, the other B was the black final last B. I loved the TR3 but she sold it while we were still dating, (I told here it was a mistake). Anyway they all got sold in the end except my Camaro, which she occasionally drove in the beginning but made fun of me for having it.

Now 30 years later she has a perfect MGB but is scared to ever drive it lest it gets scratched or a stone bruise. Me, I still have the Camaro, I also have a 1939 Dodge truck, and a 1960 Sprite all of which are in shall we say enjoyable to drive condition. As such I drive the wheels off them all the time, my wife wants nothing to do with any of them or at least is too proud to pretend she likes them, her 98 year old mother however, has been seen with me blasting through the neighborhood in the Sprite grinning from ear to ear.

Like cars, they just don’t make em like they used to!