cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Your favorite song about a car?

Hagerty MediaHagerty Media

What is your favorite song about a car?  For many of us, it's gonna be a certain ditty about the Pontiac GTO. For me, well that's a bit before my time, but I will share my favorite song in the thread. Because I have something far more interesting to share. 

This comment was taken from a reader of the Hagerty Driver's Club magazine, and I thought it would be great to share here: 

I enjoyed Scott Oldham’s feature “Getting to Know the GOAT,” (Issue 68, page 60), but wanted to correct him regarding the origin of the hit song “G.T.O.” John Wilkin was a songwriting kid with a garage band. His mother, Marijohn, a well-known country composer, was a fixture in the music business. John skipped high school one day and wrote “G.T.O.” His mom got the song published. As “Ronny Dayton,” he recorded it with his group “Ronny and the Daytonas” and it raced up the charts. Wilkin now lives west of Nashville and is still writing songs and performing.

Jim Wangers was behind a later group, The Tigers, whose song “GeeTO Tiger” didn’t make the Hot 100 but helped launch the 1965 GTO. The single had a unique B-side, “Big Sounds of the GeeTO Tiger at the GM Proving Grounds.” The record was the center of a Pontiac promotion with Car Craft magazine, Hurst Shifters, and NHRA. Has any other new car taken such advantage of pop music to become a sensation? I doubt it.

—Mike Joy, Lewisville, NC

85 REPLIES 85
Lemans
New Driver

The Clash..."Brand New Cadillac"..

Wiseguy
New Driver

Hot Rod Lincoln.....best car song ever written!

Fritz
New Driver

"Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns, so corny it's awesome

KentRohrer
New Driver

SS 396 from 1967 by Paul Revere snd the Raiders. A song that was done by Chevrolet and records were given to Chevrolet dealers. My family owned dealerships back in that time in Cochrane Wisconsin and St Charles Minnesota.

1stGenCamaros
Pit Crew

Shut Down . . . The Beach Boys (Pedal's to the floor, hear those 2 Quads drink!)

gyashko
Intermediate Driver

I'll second that! Although I admit it wasn't until the Google age that I realized the line was: "Two cool shorts sittin' side by side." Played through my 8-track, I was sure they were singing "sharks", which didn't make much sense, but then, I'd even never heard of the SoCal slang term "short", referring to a hot rod...

Zephyr
Instructor

"Short" wasn't actually a Southern California term, it was used by the type of juvenile delinquents that at the time we referred to as "black shoes." Today we would just call them thugs. 

Rcwkr
Pit Crew

I think the lyric was "...hear those dual quads drain". Rhymes with "startin' to strain".

One of my favorites tho.

1stGenCamaros
Pit Crew

We are both a little off. Looked up the lyrics online. "hear his dual quads drink".  I have the original LP. My hearing is a little off these days. Can't be too much loud music over the years. 🙂

red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

My Stingray is light, the slicks are startin to spin

But the 413s really diggin in.

61Rampy
Advanced Driver

I'm stupid, maybe, but I never liked that song, only because I really doubt an FI Vette could beat a 413 Dodge. And I'm a Ford guy.  (I picture a 62 413 Dart and a 62 Vette). Those old Mopars were Fast.

bpar73
Intermediate Driver

Highway Star - Deep Purple

Ddinunzio22
New Driver

Old school - Pink Cadillac…Bruce Springsteen

New School - The Distance…Cake

OldCad
New Driver

Well it's not about a specific car, but the best car-related song to drive to is Mark Knopfler's "Speedway at Nazareth".

OldCad
New Driver

hoser48
Pit Crew

4-0-9    Beach Boys

oldcarguy1
New Driver

10-11-2021 OWNER

hoser48..owned the exact car, Black with red interior 62 Impala 409/409, 4 speed, 4.56 gears...traded it for 1967 Impala 396 that I still have to this day...great trip down memory lane...

911CarCab
Pit Crew

Little Deuce Coupe - Beach Boys

BossJohn
New Driver

Hey Little Cobra

Rcwkr
Pit Crew

I have the LP! (by the Rip Chords)

Jazz1939
New Driver

See the  USA in your Chevrolet

come with me Lucille in my Merry Oldsmobile

little deuce coupe.       beep beep

from DAn Fine

LuckyDoug
Pit Crew

Rocket 88 by Ike Turner…

82Alfa
New Driver

455 Rocket by by Kathy Mattea. Can't help singing along to that one. 

GRP_Photo
Instructor

"Mabelline, Why Can't You Be True." Preferably the version by Pat Donohue.

Backdraft
New Driver

“One piece at a time”, by Jonny Cash.

Joedonbobjr
New Driver

Stray Cats "Built For Speed". 1982.  Aaaah

vjackson
New Driver

How about Bob Seger’s night moves? Pair it with the video clip from Supernatural.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcGH7CcvQX4

Best Scene from 11x04 ''Baby''I own nothing. No copyright infringement intended.
Ayesijuan
New Driver

I'm in love with my Car by Queen drummer Roger Taylor

Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels

Little ol' Lady from Pasadena by Jan & Dean 

pallettman1
New Driver

Good choices. Same as me.

JetDoc
New Driver

She's real fine, My 409!  (Beach Boys)

61Rampy
Advanced Driver

Isn't that so much cooler than a 2000's version of it would be?   "She's real fine my One point Nine".

majjack
New Driver

There are so many good ones, but GTO it is --- 3 deuces, a 4-speed, and a 389!  Honors also go to The Little Old Lady from Pasadena (Jan & Dean) and Little Deuce Coup (Beach Boys).

67-Firebird
New Driver

Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf.  Get your motor runnin!

Faival44
New Driver

While this ditty isn't car specific, I think many readers will recognize at least some aspects of their early dating experiences from the lyrics. Cars were an indispensable part of teen-age dating, and a source of many fond memories many years later.

To the 1st 8 measures of Dvorak's Humoreske:

Was it you that did the pushin',
Got those stains upon the cushion,
Footprints on the dashboard upside down?

Was it you got to my daughter,
Poked her when you hadn't oughter?
If it was, you better get out of town!

OOH, yes t'was I got to your daughter,
Poked her when I hadn't oughter,
Footprints on the dashboard upside down.

BUT, since I got into your daughter,
I've had trouble passing water,
So I think we're even all around.

buellerdan
Intermediate Driver

Racing in the Streets by Springsteen

Despite the fact that the 396 did not have "fuelie heads".

Zephyr
Instructor

Hot Rod Lincoln. Also the forgotten hit, "Transfusion." "Comin' down the hill on a rainy day, when you see me comin' better start to pray, I'm the king of the road, I'm the boss all the way (sounds of car crashing) - transfusion, transfusion, my red corpuscles are in mass confusion, never never gonna speed again - slip a quart to me Mort." 

61Rampy
Advanced Driver

Used to hear that on Dr Demento's show in the 70s. Good stuff. Don't forget "Beep Beep", by the Playmates.

MustangJim
Detailer

All the songs listed are great! But I have two more:

Mustang Sally

and

Sammy Hagars' I can't drive 55

jimd
New Driver

Beep Beep

toddalas
New Driver

Dizzy Gillespie: "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac."

OldFordMan
Detailer

Maybelline  by Chuck Berry!

JPutzier
New Driver

"You Picked a Fine Time to Leave me Loose Wheel" by the Simply Weasels.

I actually have a playlist of just "Car Tunes" that has 96 songs on it!

janedon
Detailer

I can't remember the title--But Don Williams sane a song with a line--My hands are dirty but my windows are Clean-  Wish I could remember it & get a copy-

Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

"Dead Man's Curve" - Jan and Dean, "Shut Down" - The Beach Boys, "Hey Little Cobra" - The Rip Chords.

Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

and no one is ever going to write a song about a Kia or a Hyundai!!!!

mgatf
New Driver

Dead Man's Curve: ...We both popped the clutch when the light turned green.

You should of heard the whine from my screemin' machine...

428HighBoy
New Driver

Old 55 Tom Waits

Jim_H
New Driver

MGB-GT by Ricard Thompson. 

skidjl
New Driver

The one I loved back then

George Jones