cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Community question: Who is your favorite automotive author?

Pit Crew

Oh dear... at least convince him to get colored accents so it doesn't get lost in the crowd! Prismatic has some other great matte colors that will make it stand out but still be the new cool.

Highlighted

New Driver

When I wrote my first reply mentioning Peter Egan, I had forgotten about Tom McCahill.   I always read Popular Mechanix every month and enjoyed every one of his columns.   He had a writing style that no one has ever matched.   He really liked the big Chrysler 300s, as I did and had a number of good articles on them.   I have an original copy of his review of the 1966 Ford Bronco, which I keep with my Bronco memorabilia (I have a 66 Bronco I have owned since new).   Of course, there are lots of others great writers mentioned such as Brock Yates and David Davis.    I don't think anyone has mentioned Sam Posey.   Sam has written nearly as much but he is really talented.   He is somewhat of an acquired taste, but is a multi-talented individual whose writing is really good.

Highlighted

Pit Crew

There has been many since, but Brock Yates is responsible for attracting me to reading about cars from the very start.  He captured me with his style back in the 70's.  He was the first to write articles, that I actually remembered the name of the author.  So, because of that, he gets my vote as favorite.

Highlighted

New Driver

Ken Purdy. His book Kings of the Road sparked my interest in classic cars as a teenager.

Highlighted

New Driver
Not only that, his column in Circle Track mag was a joy.
Highlighted

New Driver

This may seem like a stretch but my answer is Clive Cussler. He incorporated a car into his Dirk Pitt novels and I learned about new cars each time I read one. Big fun and he was a collector himself!

Highlighted

Pit Crew

In reply to Greg_B:  I 100% agree with all of your faves. But let's not forget one of the funniest car guys out there, (aside from Bruce McCall), P.J. O'Rourke. And I agree that LJKS was almost like trying to decipher Hieroglyphics.

Highlighted

Detailer
Interesting choice of book in the picture. Drumming up sales for Hagerty? I found that book easy to put down when I was reading the "what car for your last drive" and got to the Michelle Obama's Presidential limo answer. Threw up in my mouth a little and wondered why Hagerty would publish something that would so completely turn off half their readers.
Highlighted

Detailer

i can't say i've read anything by him but still i'm going 'racer x' all the way

Highlighted

Detailer

In years past Mark Donahue, Paul Van Valkenburg, Smokey Yunick. I like the historic and tech side. 

To today Tom Cotter, Matt Stone and Lance Lambert. These are great for today’s writers. Lance is less known but tells a good tale.