cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Community question: Who is your favorite automotive author?

Hagerty Employee
Hagerty Employee

In a review I once did of the 1961-63 Lincoln Continental, featuring a matched set, 1962 turquoise sedan and convertible, I included some more of Uncle Tom's metaphors:

Tom McCahill of Mechanix Illustrated wrote that the 1961 Continental was "one of the plushest wolftraps on the road. It's as quiet as the love life of a bass, and it rides as smooth as spilt fudge on a canted stove. [Its] looks will equal any car's in the nation and, in the opinion of some of my arty friends, will trim all others six ways from the post and twice on Sunday."  

Highlighted

New Driver

The current automotive landscape has a ton of quality writers. From a non-fiction perspective, I love the work of A.J. Baime. 

The list of automotive journalists I can't wait to read is not short, which I think is fantastic. I've always admired the style and attitude of Jack Baruth, and I look forward to each edition of Car and Driver mainly to see what Ezra Dyer has come up with for his latest column or review. I think Hannah Elliot and Brett Berk are fantastic writers who cover the automotive scene from a different angle. 

But I have to say Sam Smith is at the top of my current list. I always find him to be funny, genuine, and knowledgable. Anyone who can educate and make you laugh in the same article is a winner in my book. 

Highlighted

New Driver
Not a wordsmith like so many named here, but Smokey Yunick's three volume autobiography is worth seeking out. What a life!
Highlighted

Pit Crew

So many good ones including Peter Egan... but s a fellow BMXer I have to go with current Hagerty contributor Jack Baruth! Not only does he give great car reviews and descriptions, but encourages the rest of us that we can have fun without the latest and greatest! As much as I love the latest and greatest, many of us can truly only afford 7 years old hand me downs without financing (sometimes creative financing at that) 

Highlighted

New Driver

Peter Egan for sure. I was very sad when he retired.  Every now and then he returns with a special article and it’s always a pleasure to read. 

Highlighted

New Driver

Tom McCahill was great in his era, but that is going way back.

Not quite so far back, David E. Davis was very good. His contemporary, Pat Bedard, was one I also enjoyed, along with Don Sherman. John Lamm produced a lot of good work for a long time. Michael Lamm spanned a long, long time and still contributes the occasional piece to Hemmings today. He practically invented the term "special-interest automobile" and ran the magazine by that name for much of its existence.

I found Henry Manney amusing and interesting. The roster of columnists in Car and Driver in the '60s and '70s were often simply excellent - Leon Mandel, Charles Fox, Bruce McCall, Jean Shepherd, and of course Brock Yates. But I found Yates a bit much in terms of his style of writing at times (as opposed to what he was saying) when he made too-frequent references to himself and his lifestyle. The same issue applies today in spades to Baruth, unfortunately. I may be unique but I always found LJK Setright's columns unfathomable.

Highlighted

We've brought Pat back for a few and will continue to bring him back, as long as he's willing to make the time.

For someone who is kind of my polar opposite and who just gives the facts without the drama, check out our fellow, Bozi Tatarevic!

Highlighted

Speaking of latest and greatest... I'm having Dutch Bikes build a park 20" for my 10-year-old son at tremendous expense and effort. I asked him which color he wants... he can have anything from over 6,000 Prismatic Powder colors.

He responded. "I don't want something shiny like your bikes. I want Flat black, like the GOOD riders." 🙂

Highlighted

If you like Sam, you'll want to keep coming back in May...

Highlighted

New Driver

Kopec and Patrick B