cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Community question: Who is your favorite automotive author?

When we can’t play with our cars, most of us are still thinking about cars, researching cars, or being entertained by stories about cars. This week for the Hagerty community question we want to hear who your favorite automotive author is.

The automotive section of your favorite bookstore has a significant range—research, entertainment, a mixture of both. Sometimes it is a carefully crafted story that blends in the perfect automotive element. James Bond comes to mind in that regard. Books from the likes of Clive Cussler also integrated a gearhead element to many of his tales, always a delight to find for those in the know.

NeverStopDrivingBook-020.jpg

So tell us the automotive author you just can’t put down once you open the cover. We will compile the top suggestions into a list for other gearheads to use as a to-do list in the coming weeks.

42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted

Re: Community question: Who is your favorite automotive author?

Pit Crew

Tom McCahill from Mechanix Illustrated

Highlighted

New Driver

I always enjoyed Peter Egan in the old Road & Track.   He was a great writer.

Highlighted

LJK Setright.

Patrick Bedard.

Gordon Baxter.

And... (looks around) my boss, Larry Webster.

Don't forget that rascal Sam Smith, the fellow they call "today's Peter Egan". Wouldn't it be great if he would come work for me? Wouldn't it be even better if he started two weeks from today?

Highlighted

New Driver

Hands down, the late, great Brock Yates.  

Highlighted

New Driver

Peter Egan.  I love Peter's writing for the same reason I love the Hagerty Community - it's not fluff about new car appliances.  It's the love of the car and great automotive marques.  Peter isn't afraid to get grease under his nails and then tell us about his triumphs and his failures.  He knows what it's like to have to bang on a MGB electric fuel pump through the battery box while you are driving.  Peter has an uncanny ability to relate to our love of cars with humor and emotion.  It doesn't hurt that he can do the same for motorcycles and garage bands too........

Highlighted

New Driver

I knew Uncle Tom personally. Never met a metaphor he didn’t like.  Once said a car cornered like a hippopotamus with rubber legs.  Hilarious. 

Highlighted

New Driver

Paul Frere and Brock Yates, for their "been there, done that" view of things.

Tom Cotter for his barn find books.  My wife get me his new book every year for Christmas.

Last but not least, Peter Egan.  An excellent mix of technical knowledge and an "everyman" style of writing.

Highlighted

Intermediate Driver

Peter Egan. Superb writer and a good human.

If he wrote the contents tab on a box of Cheerios I would read it!

Highlighted

New Driver

The Hack Mechanic, Rob Siegel.  I never fail to learn from and laugh at his writings.  I can even overlook his questionable devotion to the Lotus Europa in his garage.