cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: When did a single can of spray paint transform your car (good examples only)

It's pretty easy to lift up the look of 1980s cars with some black paint, as so many cars from this era eschewed chrome trim for European style flat black. I am wondering if anyone else could do the same with other eras of classic cars.

My 1985 LTD Brougham (with a 5.0 HO swap, so it's kinda quick) came to me with a pretty sorry looking set of silver toned headlamp bezels and front grille, and since I had to go in there to rip out those awful eBay Chineseium headlights (that were wired incorrectly!) I went a step further...

...with a can of $3-4 semi-gloss paint from Home Depot. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.35.49 PM.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

59 REPLIES 59
Sajeev
Community Manager

I like that, spray paint on a vintage scooter/bike shows a level of caring with honesty, something you probably can't get away with on most cars (i.e. not rat rods) because of the need for large panels painted to perfection. (or close to it). 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

This was 2 cans of paint, gloss and semi gloss.

IMG_2602.JPGIMG_2623.JPG

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Amazing. Absolutely amazing! 

Zeissmaster
Pit Crew

I actually did all the black on my 86 GT Mustang with Krylon spray paint after my brother painted it for me. Back in 2003 and still going strong.  As for motors and under carriage I prefer Rust-olum brush paint. Holds up great and seals the gaskets. No the Mustang is not driven in the winter!

10-02-21_X.JPG

86 Bronco 11-20-2086 Bronco 11-20-20

Zeissmaster
Pit Crew

Love the LTD, I owned 2 Fairmont wagons and a 2 door. Always wanted to V-8 one as factory V-8 ones are hard to find.

jonZ
Instructor

Great job Sajeev. I always liked the LTD of that era. I also like the Granadas but only for the donor disc brakes for my Falcons. I have used all sorts of rattle can paints for all sorts of projects. Mostly for primer or some no-c-um parts. Forgive the spelling and typos but I still got a splint on my bird finger! Coming off tomorrow.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Ouch!  Hope you get better soon! 

thetossedtool
Pit Crew

BeforeLe.jpg_MG_0677.jpg

Lots of wet-sanding and the relatively small surfaces of a motorcycle helped make it work!

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh wow that's beautiful! 

thetossedtool
Pit Crew

Thanks! It was a fun build!