cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community question: What was your dream car while growing up? Did you get it?

This week's Community Question is a two-fer: what was your dream car when you were an impressionable young kid? And a follow up question: did you ever get your dream car?

Here's mine, and no, I don't own a Ferrari Testarossa but I have been lucky enough to drive a couple of them. I'd want the one from Miami Vice...a flying mirror 1984-86 model finished in white. (The later models are certainly better, but hey, the heart wants what it wants. 😉

Hagerty MediaHagerty Media

85 REPLIES 85
zeus01
Pit Crew

Porsche 930 Turbo. Did I get it? Uh, no. Practicality and life got in the way. Lowered my sights a little. (Ok, a LOT). Was fascinated by rotary engine technology, and the then-new 1st Gen RX7. Except for the top speed and zero-to-sixty times, it checked most of the boxes that mattered to me. It even LOOKED like a Porsche (albeit, a 924). Owned six of those over the years - all of them 1st gens (series 2 and 3), and all of them with the 12A and GSL option package.

Waterboy1KHY80
Intermediate Driver

That's easy, the one and ONLY Countach! Farrah Fawcett and ANY Chevy PU. from the 70's. In addition, (on a roll) 1977 Trans AM, and any T top 3rd gen Camaro.

jdenneny1
New Driver

Like most teenagers, my first exposure to the Porsche 928 was thru the movie "Risky Business"

I pledged to be able to drive one of these gems and experience "Porsche - there is no Substitute" as stated by Tom Cruise's character

In 2009, I realized my aspirations when I purchased a 1980 Porsche 928 5 speed - picture is attached. Still own it todayEuro 6-18B.jpgResizedImage_1379555269311.jpg

walkingfool
New Driver

I've always loved cars but was never smitten more than during my freshman year in college. One of my dorm buddies had a 1974 BMW 2002 and let me take it for a spin. From that day forward I knew I had to have one but it wasn't until 2011 that I found the one for me - a '72 that had been sitting for 15 years. She's been a labor of love over the years but I'm I'll never regret the day I trailered her home! 

walkingfool_0-1625584523869.png

cassman66
Pit Crew

My dream car was a 1956 Thunderbird.  My dad helped me find a wrecked one that I could afford with his help (I was 15!) and over a year, we made it beautiful, again.  I drove it through HS and College, putting 183,000 miles on it.  Having it and enjoying it through that part of my youth measured up to those dreams.2-3-2009_055.JPG

CameronG
New Driver

Porsche 930. As a new Chiropractor just a couple years in practice in late 80’s a patient came in with a dark blue Porsche turbo and it was love at first sight. So yes I had one for 8 years...have owned several Porsche’s/Ferrari’s since but that remains my only real regret sale. But as most of us know as car guys we want to experience many great cars and that usually involves selling one to get the next one.... So I guess it’s true... there is only one first love! 

egaudet
Pit Crew

While maybe not my "dream" car at the time, I was certainly taken with the looks of the '69 Chevelle SS396 when they came out in late '68. I was still in High School then, so of course it was out of my reach.

But I was lucky enough to spot one parked for the winter beside a farmhouse a few years later (1974). I would see it every day during my commute so I finally worked up the courage to go to the house and inquire about it. Turns out it belonged to the farmer's son-in-law. At first he didn't want to sell, but after pestering him for 2 or 3 months we agreed on a price - $1400.

Anyway the point is I still own the car, it's been with me all this time, so maybe now it IS my dream car.

DSCN8904.JPG

Aleardus
New Driver

To be honest while I was growing up I had tons of dream cars and motorcycles but one in particular was more than just a dream is the Porsche 911s Carrera Targa 3.0 of 1976.  My father owned one and it was the very first Porsche I drove. Once he sold it and bought a 911 4s, I was very upset because I really thought it was a keeper. Anyway after searching for many years I found the same make model and year and bought it in 2014.  Planning to bring it back to its original color silver one day. Porsche-911-Carrera-3-0-Targa-1976.jpg

DaveA
Detailer

I had a few dream cars growing up, including a Ferrari 308 (hello, Magnum), and a Lamborghini Countach. But the one dream car I actually purchased was the DeLorean.

I purchased it, fully restored, 3 years ago and the smile hasn’t left my face yet. I enjoy it so much that I put about 6,000 miles per year on it and use it for everyday things like grocery shopping and coffee runs. It’s a bit of a restomod in that it has some modern components to make it more enjoyable and reliable (100% reliable so far, including several multi-state road trips). The best part? Meeting people who are 80’s car fans or Back to The Future fanatics. They can’t get enough of that car.
And neither can I.

6A6644CE-1DF3-47A8-8FCB-9D0F598CDDA7.jpeg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Now that is an impressive story.  Thank you for sharing your Delorean with us! 

JimR
Instructor

@tberg 

Awesome trio. Similar tastes but I think your garage is bigger 😉

hyperv6
Gearhead

I have done more thinking on this. I can say I have owned several of my dream cars. 

But as a car fanatic I never stopped dreaming. ……and never will.

Guitar74
Gearhead

Let's see. A '68 Cougar (which I have). I always wanted a B5 Blue '69 Superbee like Dad's (came close-I had a B5 blue '69 Sport Satellite). I also wanted a Ferrari 308 GTB (red of course like Thomas magnum's), and  Lambo Countach. 

Redfang
Intermediate Driver

The Challenger directly above your post is B5 Blue from 1970!

Redfang
Intermediate Driver

Growing up my neighbor had a Dodge T/A 340 Six Pack and I learned how to drive a stick in that car.  Yes, I destroyed the clutch but eventually learned.  So this has always been my 'dream car'.  Very limited production and a true emotional connection. 

1970-dodge-challenger-t-a (4).jpg

Fast forward to present day ... I found one, purchased it and now have the opportunity to drive it like it was meant to be driven!  One of only 178 in this color combo and I actually participated in the Three Pedal No Problem challenge. 

The Haggerty Hat is worth another clutch!

Guitar74
Gearhead

There is a car museum in Tifton that sells. I was there trying to test "up" to a higher position in an effort to keep from being downsized. After the test I decided to stop in and see what they had. If I wasn't faced with not having a job in a couple of weeks I would have made three purchases; A Sublime Green Challenger T/A which they had for $30k, a Panther Pink AAR Cuda for $28k, and a '71 Roadrunner (383 auto, console, red w/ white roof strobe, and white interior) for $8.5k. One more, they a a white '58 Impala SS 348 Tri Power 4 Spd for $11k. That was back in '04 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Oh yeah, that is one nice Challenger! How does that 340 run when the outer two start coming on? 

Redfang
Intermediate Driver

It’s loud. It’s fun. Feels similar to a twin turbo in today’s world but the hissing is amazing!

Redfang
Intermediate Driver

Those are very low prices; wonder why?  Most likely automatics?  I’ll look up that site just out of interest. Thanks!

tberg
Pit Crew

When the 1968 Pontiac GTO was released, I was a young high schooler waiting impatiently for my sixteenth birthday to arrive in early 1969, so that I could drive (legally).  The first time I saw the GTO in Verdoro Green with its Endura bumper, the hidden headlights, the hood scoops and the hood mounted tach, I was smitten with the aesthetics.  When my 16th birthday arrived, I got a 1969 Cougar Eliminator in banana yellow, but it never cured me of the GTO itch.  About 10 years ago, I bought a very nice driver quality GTO in Verdoro Green, drove it a little bit and then noticed some rust bubbles beginning to form under the paint.  I had a tenant who rebuilt salvaged cars, and when he left, one of his employees stayed around and rebuilt my best friend's son's K5 Blazer.  He did a nice job, so I decided to have him take apart the GTO.  After taking it apart, he left without notice, and my car was left in pieces all over the lot where it sat for several years until about two and a half years ago.  A new tenant who owned an auto body shop next door was having trouble paying rent, so I told him he could restore the car in lieu of rent for whatever time it took (within reason).  I got it back several months ago, and I still think it is the best looking American car design ever (with maybe the Riviera with clamshell lights as an exception).  I love what it looks like but hate that it drives like a Cadillac hearse.  Someday I'll tackle that.  

The other car I always admired when I used to take my Cougar in for service at O'Connor Lincoln/Mercury near downtown Los Angeles was the De Tomaso Pantera.  I bought one over 20 years ago but had essentially given up driving it about 10 years ago due to lots of issues.  About 8 years ago I decided that I was either going to make it a car I could enjoy driving and not resent doing so, or I was going to get rid of it.  It spent four years getting a remake for both comfort and reliability, and now I drive it every weekend with other enthusiasts without problems.  I do think it still looks contemporary and is the best example of '70's Italian Wedge design.  It's loud, quick (over 500hp), and gorgeous!GTO pickup2.JPGDSCF8742 (1024x768).jpg

dmopars
Pit Crew

E1426DCD-B6E9-44E7-B1F5-5CFA618C6A6F.jpeg

My father bought a VW Beetle ragtop brand new in 1961. I was born a year later and grew up with that little car. He sold it in 1974 when the Navy transferred us from Puerto Rico back to Connecticut. My mom had a 1969 or 1970 Squareback she also bought new. That car made the trip back from P.R., but never resonated with me like that Bug. Over the years, I have had multiple friends who have owned old VWs, but my turn always seemed to be out of reach. I never wanted one as a daily driver and was never in a position (as a teen/college student) to purchase a second car. I’ve owned a 74 Charger, 69 340 Dart Swinger, 94 Z/28, 97 Acura Integra GSR, 67 Chrysler Newport and about 20 others, but never a Bug. About 4 years ago, in my mid 50’s, my wife asked one day “What are you waiting for?” It didn’t take long for me to realize I had no valid response. I am now the proud owner of my very own VW Beetle, a 1972 Super. Every Saturday and Sunday, all throughout the year (weather permitting, since it needs a wiper motor), I have the most relaxing putts around town, just me, my Bug and my coffee……and on occasion, my wife, if it’s not overwhelmingly hot and humid like it can get during summers in Central Virginia. 

grrumpy-jay
New Driver

I still have the car I had in high school (1971 Camaro) and after 30+ years I think I finally have it the way I want it. The new car I really wanted back then was the Camaro IROC-Z.  Never got one but if I could find a clean one I’d still like to park one in the garage next to my 71.

81vette
New Driver

61 Corvette. And I own an 1981 Corvette

Mickey1
New Driver

Mine has always been Corvettes Have owned a few over the years and the best one was a 67 fully loaded big block coupe that I sold in the late 70's and thought I made a killing, sorry I every sold it. Now own 4 Corvettes 1963 Convertible,1966 Coupe,1971 Coupe and 2005 Coupe (wives car) and a 1964 Corvair (also wives car) All fine to drive and keepers!!

stevebee
New Driver

Wanted and got an MG TD

espo70
Intermediate Driver

It's funny actually. I grew up in the 80s, and despite having walls lined with Countach, F40, and 911 turbo posters, my dream cars were always on the more attainable side. I guess this just speaks to my sense of reality. The car(s) that always did it for me were the pony cars that were available at the time. A black thirdgen Trans Am/Formula or a nice 5.0 Mustang GT. I probably soaked up and memorized every periodical review on these cars at the time and made more than one stop at the local dealer to drool over them and seize brochures. The fun part is as I got older, I was able to afford these cars and had the pleasure of owning many of them.  Not mine below, but similar to ones I've owned.

1984-Ford-Mustang-GT.pngSTN-2139-2.jpg

gramey7
New Driver

My dream car was a Lotus 7 but revised it to a Caterham 7 for a little more durability and affordability. I kept saving and saving but the price increases would just put one out of reach. Finally ordered a kit in 1990, assembled it and installed a very early Twin Cam taken from a wrecked Cortina Mk. 1. Still have it. Now if I only had room for a Bugeye.

DUB6
Technician

I had a Bugeye Sprite once, and although it was kinda fun, I'd have traded it to you for a nice Huffy 10-speed at the time.  I used to be about 6'4" (before age and gravity got to me) and about 250 or so at the time.  That car and my size were not compatible, for sure!  But I agree they were a cool car.

DUB6
Technician

Would I be revealing too much info about my "hero-worshipping" to say that another dream car of my youth is pictured below?

And no, I never got one...And no, I never got one...

Sajeev
Community Manager

I think hero worshipping comes with the territory! 

BobNormanNFLD
New Driver

356 Coupe.  That was all I ever wanted.  Sadly it didn't happen prior to the prices going off into the stratosphere.  I did manage to get an early 911 project as a consolation prize though. 

garagmahal (2).jpg

DUB6
Technician

That scene reminds me of my own garage when I tucked my '67 911 project into it back in the late '70's.  I had never had a Porsche before, and had no idea what I was doing.  But after about a year (and 'way too much $$$'), it ran and drove and I was happy.  But it was an unreliable friend - especially in winter, and I eventually moved on.  Hope yours turns out to be a REAL Dream Car!  😊

BEAR-AvHistory
Pit Crew

Saw the 1962 Cobra at the NYC Auto Show.  Always thought it would be nice to have.  I only do drivers & at todays prices not many if any are drivers.  Solved the problem by building my own.

850b.jpg

done.jfif

Andric2
New Driver

My dream car growing up in the 60's was a 1965 Shelby GT 350. 

I was fortunate to be able to purchase one in 1980 at a reasonable price. The car needed restoring but due to career and family it took almost 40 years to complete. My car is #256 which is in the middle of the production. My car has the battery in the trunk which they discontinued shortly after my car was built. 

I also, have a 2014 Shelby GT 350. It was one of the last GT 350's built by Shelby American. They are now being built by Ford. It also has the serial number 256.IMG_1510.JPGIMG_1500.JPG

283CHEVY
New Driver

56 Nomad, 57 & 63 Corvette and 66 Shelby. Still waiting for my dream to be a reality.

DUB6
Technician

Not a bad quad of dreams there, @283CHEVY !