cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What vehicles are least likely to become a classic?

ChryslerChrysler

This week's Community Question isn't about making fun of cars that seemingly nobody likes. Instead it's more about finding out which vehicles are “underdogs” or are least likely to become a classics. These can be cars that people once turned their noses up at back when they were fully depreciated, but are now worth...something?

Take this $17,000 Ford Pinto, for example! So tell us, what is your pick for a vehicle that's least likely to become a classic? 

16 REPLIES 16
Kyle

The Ford Transit Connect. The van life folks will look at the full-size van fondly, but the Connect is a purely utility thing that no one will look back at through rose colored glasses. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oooh, that's a good one! 

hyperv6
Engineer

Depends where you are. Chevy Astro vans are praised in Japan. 

Kyle

Well, the Astro makes sense because it is a vehicle that is used by the public. The Transit Connect (and other small yet commercial vans) is just a small business work van. The Astro is tailgater luxury. 

hyperv6
Engineer

Actually old step vans are becoming popular with some. I just saw on on Motor Trend TV get restored and made to haul a bike. 

There have been some others built with powerful engines and lowered. Hot Rodders are coming to them. 

CEO trucks are also prized by hot rod guys. While a long shot never rule out commercial vehicles. 

hyperv6
Engineer

Oh there are so many today and in the past. 

We are on the verge of seeing some cars totally vanish as with so many models and some that sold in limited numbers. If they are not worth restoring  some risk extinction.

Renault Fuago.  When was the last time you saw one or one even non running. 

Most K cars will go no place unless it was a convertible. 

Ford Tempo. 

There will be many Asian cars forgotten as there were so many offered and most of them are now gone. Even a popular 70’s Honda CVCC Civic hatch is an unknown or remembers car in the Midwest today. 

I just saw a while back a Sunbird Turbo sedan. It had to have been someone’s grand parents car that just sat as it was like new. But no one remembers or wants. 

Find a Monte Carlo 3.8 Turbo. They all lost turbos at 30k miles and most are gone today from the very few sold. 

CitationMan
Instructor

Lexus SC430. In the used car market they’re now priced higher than the MB SL500, which is a total surprise. I’m guessing it’s because there are many low mile examples out there, they’re hardtop convertibles, and they have a bullet proof V8 plus overall Lexus reliability. I like them because they’re an anachronism.

DUB6
Gearhead

I hate to say it, but @CitationMan sparked my pick: the Chevy Citation.

(no offense intended, man!)

It was made for, what, five years?  And nobody wanted them when they were new, nobody has wanted them since, and (IMO), nobody is ever gonna want them in the future.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I kinda want an X-11 and apparently I am not alone in that fact. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-chevrolet-citation/

DUB6
Gearhead

Sorry man, but lipstick on a pig is what I see there...

CitationMan
Instructor

I was thinking of buying an X-11 when they were new, but took a ride in a friend’s Mark I GTI, and ended up buying a Mark II GTI. To this day one of my favorite cars ever. Every time you got in the GTI and started it up, that car said “C’mon, let’s go!”

CitationMan
Instructor

@DUB6 

How dare you criticize my beloved Citation, the world’s greatest beater LOL? My automotive rock bottom. The car that did not kill me so it made me stronger. The car that made me vow to own no more rusty cars. But I must give thanks to the lowly Citation, it got me to where I am today car wise, albeit in a “I’m never doing that again” sort of way.

I owned four of them, but they were a great cheap car to own as I put a lot of miles on them commuting from suburban to downtown Chicago. I used to park in some rough areas and they were never broken into, mostly because of their goofy vertical radio. They were also sled dogs in the brutal Chicago winters. With 63% of their weight on the front wheels due to the Iron Duke 2.5 liter four cylinder, I could plow through bumper high snow drifts with no problem. I never got stuck. Unbelievably, I hit 150,000 plus miles on all four with no major problems, other than pieces of the exterior and interior falling off, and they all had interior water leaks. 

People forget that they were a sales hit for GM with 800,000 sold in 1980, and 1.6 million over 5 years. But they’re all gone now except for a few X-11s.

My last favorite Citation experience was in the late 1990s, which by this time you would never see another Citation. I was at a suburban intersection in my rusty crappy brown 4 door hatchback, and all of a sudden there’s all this honking. Diagonally across the intersection from me was the identical rusty crappy brown 4 door hatchback, and the kids driving it went nuts when they saw mine. We were all laughing like mad. It was the ultimate wave experience, two cars whose kind will never meet again.

DUB6
Gearhead

@CitationMan - it appears that I was wrong (and I will admit it): I said nobody wanted them.  But you and @Sajeev are obviously proof that not only did someone want them in the past, but maybe even today.  😁  My only experience was that my mother had one for a few years (white 4-door) and it started falling apart about 2 months after she bought it new.  She kept taking it back to the dealer, who apparently chewed a lot of bubble gum and used it to stick parts back on.  She turned to me for help, but I could see that anything short of jacking up the rear-view mirror and driving a Toyota under it was futile.  It was just so cheaply constructed that I could do little to help.

But okay, I know when I'm outnumbered.  I'll modify my prediction that "Citations will never become a classic" to "Some people had some positive things happen with Citations and some other people like X-11s...and Citations will never become a classic" 😋

CitationMan
Instructor

My beater days are over, but if a Citation magically appears on Hagerty Drive Share, I will be first in line.

DUB6
Gearhead

Dang it - all this time I was counting on your online handle meaning that you had an extraordinary number of moving violation tickets issued to you.  Then I find out that you actually like the car I chose to hate in this string.  I feel bad.  Is it too late to change my selection to the Cimmaron?  😁

CitationMan
Instructor

Now that is funny! Let’s just say that my Citations were the right car for me at that point in my life. Owning a string of lousy cars makes me really appreciate the nice cars I own now. And I hate to say it , but I kind of like Cimarrons, too........