cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What's the last thing you put in a vise?

No this isn't a rhetorical question, unless you don't own a vise and still want to participate. In that case, I was actually "in a vise" trying to get an appointment for the Takata airbag recall on my daily driver -- but seriously -- here's what I last had in my workbench's vise. 

Thank goodness for shop rags...Thank goodness for shop rags...

This is a steering wheel trim for a 1979 Continental Mark V, but it was used on a lot of 70s Ford products when ordered with cruise control. (And Econoline vans up until 1991.) And they all seem to crack/break over time, so I needed to put it in a vise to epoxy back together. 

The end result was a good one, and I sincerely thank my little vise for making this happen for me. 

So what was the last thing you put in a vise? 

19 REPLIES 19
Rob1
Instructor

My BBC pushrod guide plate to repair my own foolishness see post a little ticking.R

hyperv6
Gearhead

I have several vises over my bad habits. I have one on each bench and have used them for many a project. 

Some clamping and holding but I also make use of the large anvil on one to form metal items for projects. 

the last thing I had in was the mower blades from my John Deere tonight. I spent time hand filing them to a sharp edge and the vise is a help in holding them. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Riding mower lower steering bushing (Unfortunately not a car part) drilled it out and pressed in an undersize bronze sleeve, then drilled to 5/8", to get it back into action.

Bushing had wallowed out so bad I lost steering teeth mesh, had no steering just clicking sounds as the teeth skipped.

Nitro

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

Looks like your beer fridge is empty, take care of that Please !!

😋

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Not a beer fridge sadly, it's just a plastic cabinet. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of garage fridges, I'm too cheap to pay the extra electricity to keep a fridge cool in a steaming hot Texas garage. 🙂 

When I want a beer, I walk inside the air conditioning and get it LOL. 

Rob1
Instructor

Lol Sajeev and a good point I solved that issue the shop has A/C best move summers are getting hotter due to all us old car guys I guess,on another note surfing the interweb i found a 82 Vette down your way that I think I need with the chance of some relaxing of travel restrictions I have family in the Houston area and thinking about a flight down turning into a ride back when I discussed this with my lovely wife a new use for the bench vise was mentioned it sounded painful that said its been awhile since I have seen that part of the family so iam awaiting a border relaxing and my second dose.Cheers R

Sajeev
Community Manager

Better make sure that 82 has good A/C, because you do not wanna drive that back home in this weather without it! 

billyr
Pit Crew

Trying to clamp and glue  a couple of oddly shaped bits, my thumb was what ended up held tight.

sego
Intermediate Driver

The aluminum core of a garage roll up screen. Was stripping it down for scrap. All totaled there was about 121 pounds of scrap aluminum in a roll up screen for a 16' garage door. Scrap yard paid me $83.40 for the various grades. 

Historian
Detailer

My 1886 Winchester Deluxe 45-70 lever action rifle, to remove the front sight, last night.

Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

Great timing. I just had a lug nut get stuck in my socket. I always find new ways to make easy tasks hard. Anyway, had to clamp the socket into my vise so I could knock the nut out with a nail punch. Didn’t do the chrome coating much good…

GRP_Photo
Instructor

I have two vises; one big Craftsman for iron and one Marples for woodworking. The last thing I clamped in the Craftsman was probably some steel stock I was cutting. The last thing I clamped in the Marples was one of the carburetors from my '71 Triumph T120. The wood jaws are easier on castings like that.

dbloz-0928
New Driver

A chainsaw ( the entire saw ) , put bar in the jaws of vice and chain is very easy to sharpen

MoparMarq
Detailer

1/2" flexible metal electrical conduit to cut to length for garage workbench power strip project.  Hacksaw works pretty good, but the dremel with a cutoff wheel makes a nicer cut.

JSievers
Advanced Driver

A piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe cut to serve as a spacer on a Roman Tub Faucet sprayer mount.

Jake
Intermediate Driver

Last things I had in my vice were some sheet metal trans cooler duct work that I had formed in a brake and needed to weld a diverter addition to it.  Too many things to hold and not enough hands.  Just before that I had used my vice to hold my 3/8" fuel line tubing bender tool while I shaped some complex bends for routing the 8 ft long fuel feed and return lines from the tank to the front of the chassis.  It has saved my bacon many times when I am working alone in the shop.2020_09_22-SSFuelFeedLineFab-IMG_1059.JPG2021_03_24-TransCoolerX-Member-IMG_3266.jpg

TRdelux
Intermediate Driver

Two tamper proof screws for mounting a Mack truck Bulldog to the hood

of a display truck.  Cut the heads off and turned them into studs with

a die so the dog could be removed for vinyl wrapping.

Tinkerah
Technician

Last project in my vise (affectionately known as my Horizontal Press) was to flatten copper crush washers between ground parallel bars to reuse them on a banjo bolt fitting. Yes you can reuse them if you make them flat again.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I had no idea those were reusable, but that makes a lot of sense!