cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What's the greatest driving sequence in movie history?

This week's community question is about the best car chase of all time in a movie. We all have our favorites, and now we need to know which one truly blew you away. Or perhaps continues to blow you away to this day? 

For me it's a tie between Ronin and the original Gone in 60 Seconds

66 REPLIES 66
Bunka
Detailer

Detective Frank "BULLITT"!!!!!!!!!! 

Bunka
Detailer

I posted my first choice.  My second choice isn't a chase scene; however, it is real music to the ears.  Nothing staged, no safety equipment and doesn't even show the car.  Turn the volume up, it is real.  It does pump your adrenaline up.  It is one of the reasons I own two Porsches.   Cut and paste this in your browser.

https://silodrome.com/cetait-un-rendez-vous/

holleyb
Pit Crew

The sound is incredible.... but doesn't match the video ...the car should have rolled over several times going around the Arc de Triomphe but it didn't because there was no car... just saying

Longbranch
Intermediate Driver

Only because there will be 10,000 answers of “Bullitt” here are some other options. 

1) The Seven Ups. 
2) French Connection

AMG-SL
New Driver

I second The Seven Ups.......poor ol Ken Kercheval gets his due, before JR comes into his acting life...

PureSovietSteel
New Driver

The Seven-Ups!  Best use of a parked truck in cinema history

thetossedtool
Intermediate Driver

Both are good choices.  I also like the "Bullitt" chase as I'm sure many do.

My favorite is the opening sequence in the 1966 movie, "Grand Prix," where you take a lap at Monaco.  The plot is a little thin, but I think John Frankenheimer did a great job on the race scenes!

Darel
New Driver

I'm going to vote for a movie NO ONE will think of or probably even see...Murder Mystery with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.  Go ahead, fall back on Bullitt and Ronin and all the cliches....a stupid Adam Sandler B-movie beats them all.  🙂

Rcwkr
Intermediate Driver

I will agree on the basis that the cars involved were much more interesting than a Mustang, Charger, Audi, etc. in the most oft mentions films.

Helitronix
New Driver

Condorman being chased by the Prognoviach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-TkGM4nKI

mags56
Intermediate Driver

Clint Eastwood chasing a bank robber with a mini bus full of senior citizens in Sudden Impact. 

Geok86
Instructor

Definitely the original Gone in 60 Seconds…especially considering the fact that the scene where he hits that telephone pole was an accident, and he wound up hospitalized, and they left that scene in the movie…AWESOME!

CaymanS
New Driver

The Gumball Rally, week plot but a real Cobra and a Ferrari Daytona...... whats not to like!

billhpeloton
New Driver

Ronin, with the nighttime scenes in Les Mans running a close second.

77GL
Detailer

Mannix with his Dodge Dart GTS and later his Plymouth Cudas, every week.  And the chases were believable, much better than today's cartoonish nonsense.  Then Came Bronson was wonderful for a kid interested in motorcycles.

Tetons2
New Driver

Being a huge Mopar fan and former Charger owner(68), I have to go with Bullitt and second place to Vanishing Point.

VerlinRichins
Pit Crew

You can't discount the 1972What's Up Doc 1.pngWhat's Up Doc 2.png slap stick comedy chase scenes in What's Up Doc?  Classic chase scene comedy!

MoparMan
Advanced Driver

I concur w/Sajeev; "Bullitt" was great, "Gone In 60 Seconds" (Original) was an orgy of automotive mayhem & destruction, then came "The Seven Ups", but nothing surprised me more than the chase scenes in the narrow European streets of "Ronin"! I would also nominate one movie chase that flies under the radar: "To Live And Die in L.A." For a different take, the motorcycle chase scenes in (IIRC) Jackie Chan's "Who Am I" were refreshingly different as well! 🙂

Studebacher
Pit Crew

The 2CV chase scene in "For your eyes only" yup that is it

sonsinger
New Driver

By far, the chase scene in Paris with Jason Bourne escaping in a Morris mini Minor from the entire Paris Police Department in the “Bourne Identity”.  Good luck speeding through the serpentine lanes of Paris in a big American muscle car or in an exotic Italian super car. Going over 70 KPH in downtown Paris is not possible. 

sonsinger
New Driver

Er, 100 KPH is more like it. 

nikpayn
New Driver

I'm a sucker for Paris driving sequences; Ronin, Bourne & Diva

Jaguarnut
New Driver

For something a little more modern, the Bourne movies have some great car chase scenes.  The side impact scenes particularly impressed me especially after having been t-boned (thankfully with no major injuries to myself just totaled my car).

SGP80
New Driver

Death Proof with Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell).

Tinkerah
Engineer

I was hoping to be the first to mention Deathproof so the next best thing I can do is second it!

zcobrausa
New Driver

The start or the final laps in Lemans with Steve McQueen.

jcmabagg
New Driver

Absolutely BULLITT!

Motown454
New Driver

Bullitt!

polishmafia75
New Driver

The opening sequence in "Baby Driver" is pretty good! 

wdb
Advanced Driver

No CGI in those scenes. Pretty radical, and definitely worthy of mention.

RallyeRalph
Detailer

Ronin, Bullitt, French Connection are obvious choices. But how about great chase sequences in sub-categories? Like the original, European "Italian Job" for the most fun, or the driving  scenes In "A Man and a Woman" for the best soundtrack orchestration with a close second for "harold and Maude",  or continuous on the edge-of-the-seat "Duel" (Steven Spielberg's  first full length film) ???

1980MGB
New Driver

Like all car fanatics,  Bullitt, Ronin and Gone in 60 Seconds are right up there, but Matt Damon in the first Bourne Identity and Jason Statham in the 1st Transporter opening scene were great too!

hyperv6
Racer

Grand Prix is some of the finest film ever done.

Gator and White Lighting both inspired Smokey and the Bandit.

The Italian job. 

jackinthesac
Intermediate Driver

I like 1974s Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. Sadly the end of the car when it fails in a railroad crossing.

Repete61
Pit Crew

Glad you mentioned this one

CaptainRocket
Pit Crew

Little Rascals

a92bfc61396f6e6e9a20328d155275fb.png

TimK
Detailer

Boy do I remember that episode. It was the gang's entry in a downhill race challenging the rich kid driving the store bought kid sized fire truck.

What I find amazing these days is when I watched the Little Rascals in the mid 50s the cars looked so old even though these were filmed in the late 20s to early 30s making the cars 25 to 35 years old at the time and it was rare to see anybody still driving those cars for daily transportation. Yet today there are many 25 year old cars used daily and it's not that rare for people to drive a 35 year old car for daily transportation.

TimK
Detailer

Bullitt and The 7-Ups were great and I'm sure the others nominated that I haven't seen are good to but I also remember the multiple chases in "It's A Mad, Mad World" starting with Spencer Tracy driving a 57 Ford over a cliff.

AHavey
Pit Crew

Some of the best driving I think is in Vanishing Point. Kowalski drives that the Challenger across country.

Bertone780
Detailer

In the "modern" era had to be tye Blues Brothers ("I gotta pull over").  Otherwise anything from the silent era by the Keystone Cops, Buster Keaton etc. 

Tinkerah
Engineer

I second the Blues Brothers.

Pappys72
New Driver

For me it was from the movie “Challenge” a 1972 Corvette vs a 1973 Pantera…not the best movie, or even the chase scene, but the fact that I sold my 71 Corvette to buy my 72 Pantera…

BA4
Pit Crew

All good answers. I do own a 2009 Bullitt (Highland Green). Would watch that movie with my dad before you could rewind. Good memories. Wish we could have taken it for a ride together.

One I don’t see mentioned is The California Kid. I believe that car inspired the ZZ Top Eliminator.

ktmguy300
New Driver

BULLITT !!!

kmc
New Driver

Lots of good options, but there's a reason why you keep hearing Bullitt. Steve McQueen for the win!

Cruiser73
New Driver

Has to be 'Bullitt'.  Steve McQueen did his own stunt driving in this one also and it was good. 

wdb
Advanced Driver

I'll never forget the original 'Gone'. My son and I saw a preview that showed the Mustang jumping a barrier, coming down nose-first, and bending the whole front end of the car upwards. We looked at one another and said, "Well, I guess we don't have to bother coming to see that one -- we just saw the ending!" Little did we know. We actually did go to see it shortly afterwards. One of my favorite all-time movies.

Tinkerah
Engineer

That Ronin chase is an astonishing sequence that seems to have slipped under the radar of most movie watchers. Gone in 60 Seconds disappoints me, it just seems like a long form demolition derby wherein no one is allowed to hit the winner. Good thing Eleanor's fuel gauge doesn't work; 21 minutes into the clip she's showing almost empty...yeah I'm having a slow day....

Dundass
New Driver

Bullit is a great car chase but it wasn’t the best. There are a lot of great car chances mentioned here but one is head and shoulders the best car chase ever and that’s THE ORIGINAL “Gone in 60 Seconds”. The remake was a slap in the face to the most out of control, real car action ever filmed. It was what Hollywood never could have done because they never would understand why it was great!