cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: what's the fastest you got a car part in the mail?

I think the question is pretty self explanatory, and here's mine:  I got this NOS Ford headlight switch in the mail this Monday morning, and I ordered it last Friday morning. Both the vendor (Green Sales Company, whom I LOVE) and the shipper (UPS) deserve credit for moving so quickly, especially before the holidays! 

1.jpg

Sadly this didn't fix the main problem I was having (but it does operate way smoother) so I'm officially giving up and letting my trusty local mechanic work on it tomorrow. 😞 

18 REPLIES 18
hyperv6
Instructor

I hold the record for getting a part at my company that we did not even have on our system. 

I work for a larger web parts supplier. I started out in customer service and learned the ropes of getting parts added and ordered for customer in my time working with the public. You also get to know all the right people that can pull strings if needed. 

In this case I needed a battery for my HHR SS. I needed a vented battery that would fit in the back in the tire well behind the bumper. I also wanted my work discount. The problem no such battery was in stock let alone on the computer to order. 

So I started out 7:00 AM sending E mails to my connections in Purchasing to add the part to the computer to be ordered. 

Next around 9:00 AM I got an order on the system. 9:15 I caller Purchasing to get a PO in on the Battery so it was ordered at the supplier. 

I checked in the afternoon and saw it was delivered by 2:00 PM. It was a local supplier hence the fast delivery. 

I then made a call to our warehouse to put my part into a location so I could go to our retail store at 4:00 PM to pick it up and go home to install it. 

That had never been done before as most times Next Day from a supplier is as fast as it can be done and even then not all suppliers ship daily. 

I needed my car to get to work and with the help of my co workers we had a fast turn around. 

Sometimes with back orders all you can do is wait. Right now with the virus many companies are closed or behind on stock and it has been challenging to get things out now in some cases. 

But next day service is common for many customers some really need the parts others just want. With some that is not fast enough. I have seen some drive hours to our retail store just for a part they want today. One guy rode 8 hours each from Canada on a motorcycle. 

Some folks will do what ever it takes. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh wow, that battery story is impressive. Makes me wish I had more insight into how I got my headlight switch so quickly...the vendor clearly has a strong connection to their local UPS distribution center. 

Guitar74
Technician

Was this for your Lincoln?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yup, it sure was! 

Guitar74
Technician

I recently disassembled and cleaned the wiper/washer switch on the Town Landau because the only thing available was an NOS part (the same intermittent control as the Lincoln) to the tune of $300.

Guitar74
Technician

Oh, yeah. The fastest turnaround was 1 1/2 days on a three day estimate.

jonZ
Advanced Driver

Hey Sajeev, Does Green Sales have other FoMoCO parts? The head light switch is sweet.

Sajeev
Community Manager

@jonZ they sure do! They basically buy up all of Ford dealer's old stock, I wouldn't be surprised if they have what you need. 

jonZ
Advanced Driver

I'll be getting with them soon. As a side bar.....I am in the market for a Ranchero. Yall can prolly tell by now I love the falcons but would be interested in the fairlane platform also. Nothing later than the 66's. If yall know of anything let me know. I was in contact with one of yall's co workers (his dad was thinking about selling one). I can't remember who it was. Since the last storm down here I lost all electronics and had no back-up. 

Doritoman
New Driver

I was looking for lowering springs for my 63 Falcon Sprint and ordered a pair from Summit Racing on a Friday evening at 9 and they were at my back door at 2 the next afternoon. I was astonished!

greatscott73
Pit Crew

In my never ending quest to keep my 34 year old Ferrari in top shape, I deal with a British company named Superformance. Anytime I order from them I have the parts in my Florida based home in 30-48 hours. I don’t know how they get through customs and across the ocean that fast, but DHL seems to have it down to a science. I only wish I could get US based supppiers to ship that quickly!

Tinkerah
Instructor

Not quite a car part but involves the Mass. RMV so stuns me to this day: dropped an ATV registration application and fee in the blue box at my local post office after hours one night. The registration and plate were in my home mailbox in the NEXT DAY'S delivery. Later I worked for the USPS so I learned how their end happened but the RMV was on their game that morning!

BULLITT65
Pit Crew

I ordered spectrum floor pans with NPD for my daughters 65 Mustang, on late Friday at 6pm. I received them the next day on Saturday around 2pm. That was the fastest I have every received any part. (this was 2 weeks ago).  Must have come from their California warehouse, and shipped to me in So CaL. I was pleasantly surprised.

MaverickNutron
Intermediate Driver

Awwww Man, now you've let the cat out of the bag...

Green Sales has been my "secret" for years   😜

Joecolli
New Driver

I'm sure I've gotten parts overnight on fairly regular basis, especially when ordering from Moss in Virginia, 2 states away. The all time winner (for me at least) though has to go to the stainless dual exhaust system I ordered for my MGB V8 conversion from the MG Owner's Club. I placed the order late morning on a Monday and had the parts, via DHL, about mid-morning the following Wednesday. Less than 2 days form over 3000 miles away, in the wrong direction! (remember the time difference) Even more amazing was that the pipes were merely taped & stretch wrapped together, no box involved. I've generally had very good experiences ordering from England, no farther than California (I'm in Delaware), although they do have a handicap in that time difference.

rushgator2112
Pit Crew

I live in NE Texas, and the closest warehouse for The Tire Rack is in Shreveport, LA. More than once, I have placed an order for tires before 3pm on a given day. Without failure, the items will be at my business address the next day. Fast & dependable.

Bucko911
New Driver

I’m going to have to give a shout out to Merlin Motorsports in the UK. They are basically in the middle of nowhere, between Bristol and London, England. I ordered some obscure Smith’s gauges from them on May 10th of this year. I received an email on May 11th that they had been sent, and not 72 hours I had them in hand. Not remarkable some might say, but from a little town in the middle of the UK, to Calgary, Canada in 3 days is pretty impressive in my book!

Zeissmaster
Pit Crew

Shout out for Summit Racing in Ohio, many times order a part by 9:00 at night and it is there within a day and a half. A couple times got it by next day here in Western New York.