cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What's most radical dashboard you've ever seen?

We recently discussed the most insane interior here on the Hagerty Community, and this week @CitationMan wants us to discuss something along the same line: DASHBOARDS!

So what are the most radical dashboards you've seen? And just to remind everyone that you don't need mid century/space age design and chrome accents to make something radical to behold (but it never hurts!) here's one of the wildest designs from the 1990s, the 1992 Buick Skylark. BuickBuick

39 REPLIES 39
hyperv6
Gearhead

Recently the Chevy Sonic looks like a motorcycle dash. 

Craziest I have been in Spyker c8

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh yeah, the Spyker dash was nuts. 

Kane
New Driver

So...here's a question for y'all.

Why is it called a "dashboard"?

Sajeev
Community Manager

"Originally, the word dashboard applied to a barrier of wood or leather fixed at the front of a horse-drawn carriage or sleigh to protect the driver from mud or other debris "dashed up" (thrown up) by the horses' hooves." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashboard

Mikeintexas
Pit Crew

How about the Fx Atmos, Ford Bubble top concept car and probable inspiration for George Jetson's daily transportation.

CitationMan
Instructor

The 1960 Chrysler 300F Astradome instrument panel featuring the three dimensional Panelescent center globe, which has electroluminescent blue lighting at night. Each gauge pointer is an individual light source. An owner invited me to sit in his car at a show, you have to see this to believe it. Push bottom Torqueflite transmission and that space age clear oblong steering wheel. Swivel front seats, too.

CitationMan_0-1631578086653.png

DUB6
Technician

@CitationMan - I have to agree.  I actually rode in one on a very dark night back in about November 1967, and that blue-green glow was fantastic.  Being as it was the heydays of space flight and sci-fi films, we really felt like we were in a spaceship, flying through the cosmos.

CitationMan
Instructor

Fantastic! I’ve never had the pleasure to ride in one. The owner of the car I sat in drove his all over the US, so that’s great. There’s actually a shop in Washington state that restores these instrument clusters. Gotta love American ingenuity.

DUB6
Technician

@CitationMan: Coulda been the same car, actually.  Pretty sure the one I rode in belonged to a traveling salesman.  I think the statute of limitations has passed, so I will admit that it didn't belong to the guy who gave me the ride.  The story I got was that he'd "borrowed" it from a motel parking lot, where he'd found it with the keys conveniently dangling from the trunk.  Not sure if that's the same story he told the officers who took him downtown later that night, because by then I had vacated the vehicle and hoofed it home, suspecting that through his actions, he was going to eventually bring some red lights and blue uniforms upon himself.  And that proved to be the case.

The_Wolf
New Driver

I agree! As soon as I read the question this is the dashboard I thought of. A latter generation and pretty cool dashboard is the early Charger. A969F78E-40C6-4428-93FF-A1EBD83287F5.jpeg

CitationMan
Instructor

Classic dash! I believe the ‘67 Charger was the last Chrysler dash to feature the electroluminescent gauges.

MoparMan
Advanced Driver

Thanks for the beautiful picture! I never had the opportunity to see one of these at night!!  🙂 

Captainmatt
New Driver

It's fantastic! Note how the direction changes from 130 to 140 on speedo and 50 to 60 on tac. Made when details mattered ;)It's fantastic! Note how the direction changes from 130 to 140 on speedo and 50 to 60 on tac. Made when details mattered 😉

DUB6
Technician

I've seen the tail lights of plenty of Chargers at night (as they left me in their dust), but not the dash lights...

ShawnF430
New Driver

The Vector W8 Dashboard has to be one of the most "out there" that I have ever seen!  And I LOVE it!

W8.jpg

thebrave
New Driver

One of the Vector super cars.  I don't know what year the car was made.  Was at Cruzin' For A Cure in Costa Mesa CA in 2006 when I snapped this photo.

P1040389.JPGP1040390.JPG

ScottM
Pit Crew

Pagani Huayra, the car is exquisite, the dash is just too, tooo much.

70DC96B2-AC48-46C2-AFF6-A7CFD7BD2AEA.jpeg

CitationMan
Instructor

The 1960 Buick Mirromagic speedometer. Look closely, that’s a tilting mirror with the reflection of the speedometer! The small ovals below the speedometer are the rolling ribbon feature, which changed colors from green to orange to red as speed increased. I first saw this at a car show on a Buick Invicta, but the Electra also had this feature.

CitationMan_0-1632158893557.png

CitationMan_1-1632158987919.png

MATTMERICA
Instructor

Honestly the tesla is the craziest dashboard (more like lack thereof), especially when the power goes out....

GL70
Pit Crew

The 1961 Chrysler New Yorkers had a curved 1/4 bubble dash. The gauges looked like they were coming right at you and gave the illusion of being suspended in mid air.

LoudV8
Pit Crew

69 GP.JPG

1969 Grand Prix was one of my favorites.

fr88
Pit Crew

1960 Imperial is one of my favorites.  Huge dual gauge clusters with Electro-Luminecent lighting.  Symmetrical sets of pushbuttons on either side of the clusters controlled the transmission and HVAC.  Because there was no visible steering column, there was no room for the turn signal stalk.  It was replaced with a directional switch in the upper LH side of the dash.P1010189.JPG

cozmojav
New Driver

Somewhat radical for the day was the 1971-74 AMC Javelin dash.  The instrument cluster wrapped around the driver position, which was practical and ergonomic.  The switches for lights, wipers, etc. were bat-handled levers that sat on top of the lower shelf of the instrument area, moving forward and back in operation.  The glove box and radio lived in the central, vertical pillar that was in between the driver and passenger side.

Javman
Pit Crew

ad_2_1564796559454.jpg

Javman
Pit Crew

I have sent a picture of the dash in my 72 Javelin SST.  When you sit in the driver's seat it feels like the cockpit of an airplane. 

Maestro1
Instructor

My Father had a '61 Chrysler 300 and the dash, as you see above in the picture of the '60, was very spacey and wonderful to drive with at night. I had a '93 Continental Signature which I loved (a Lincoln) but the digital dash made me crazy.

1959Imperial
Pit Crew

Wow, looking at the responses I'm happy to own three of the cars mentioned. My '59 Imperial, '62 Chrysler 300, and my '69 Grand Prix. Plus I get extra credit for once owning a '66 Dodge Charger.

RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

I think the craziest wproduction (sort of) car dash was the Aston-Martin Lagonda 4-door https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Lagonda

Pure electronics from England- for three days before they fried themselves.

Zracer40
New Driver

Have to agree with the guys, Spyker, truly amazing

ap41563
Pit Crew

To me one of the wildest is the 91-97 Toyota Previa I stared at this dash daily for 15 years and it never got old and even today it still looks modern. toyota-previa-interior.jpg

Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

These are all amazing examples! As a former owner of a Subaru SVX with its own unique interior, I have always marvelled at the cool dashboard of its predecessor, the Subaru XT! 

777AE727-E48E-476D-880B-160B90EABCE0.jpeg

turbone
New Driver

I came here tp post this one, thanks. I think I have a close up picXT digidash 2.jpg

turbone
New Driver

Well thats not what I wanted to post, thats just a close up. Heres a better oneXT digidash.jpg

Jnick
Detailer

Whatever happened to the idea of a dash that was just a thing of beauty to be glanced at in passing but surrounding the driver in walnut veneer like a Jaguar XK 120 or a Rolls Royce, or a machine turned metal like a 1957 T Bird?  
 What is really happening in a vehicle is out the windshield, screwing around with buttons knobs and screens is missing the whole point of everything. Glancing at something well crafted while getting in or out is what builds self esteem and confidence and is the definition of a great driving experience!

cultleader
Pit Crew

Probably a Citroen. 

SteveCanyon
New Driver

1972 show car that I built a model of when I was a kid: Maserati Boomerang.

And kind of surprised KITT didn't make this list yet.

ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

The one on my Aston Martin Lagonda

EuroE36M3
New Driver

Aston Martin Lagonda, WOW

Sajeev
Community Manager

WOW indeed! I second that emotion.