cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What's most insane interior you've ever seen?

Asking subjective questions like these are always make for good conversations, so here goes: What is the most insane interior you've ever seen? 

It could be a custom car at a car show, or something like the 1970s insanity of the Cadillac Fleetwood and DeVilles. 

CadillacCadillac

Granted, the word "insane" is both a positive and a negative for some folks, in some contexts. And this is one of them: just because you think its insane doesn't mean you don't like it!

I would personally love a Caddy like this. 

56 REPLIES 56
Patl
Intermediate Driver

This one's a real winner.Porsche’s Pasha pattern from early ‘80’sPorsche’s Pasha pattern from early ‘80’s

Sajeev
Community Manager

Ooooh, that's a good one. 

hyperv6
Gearhead

Don’t forget the Porsche interiors that were plaid that looked like they were made from a Kilt. 

It was called Tartant. 

I remember one in a 924 Turbo Carrera. It was a company we did work for had as a test car for tires. 

Patl
Intermediate Driver

Yes, it's great. Thank for reminding me about Tartan. I like the Volkswagen Golf Mk1 GTI tartan seats known as “Clark Plaid” by designer Gunhild Liljequist’s better.  VW Golf Mk1 GTI Clark PlaidVW Golf Mk1 GTI Clark PlaidNow thinkin of all the auto interiors by luxury designers, like ’76 Lincoln Continental Mark IV, I'm afraid to go down that hole .  

fcpaloha
New Driver

When I saw the Pasha interior in a 928 in 1978, I thought "man they are going to sell a lot of leather!!!"  Now I think it is very cool and typical of how forward thinking Porsche was and still is!!!

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

That's actually cool

Rob1
Instructor

Cant seem to download but a 1979 AMC Pacer Limited Wagon has it for outlandish as well as the car its a luxo fishbowl.R

Rob1
Instructor

My granma ma had a couch that resembled that Cadi probably the Cadi was more comfortable.R

hyperv6
Gearhead

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mod-makeover

Anyone remember the Mod or Flower power tops and interiors for Mopar. 

tigercat
Intermediate Driver

Clicked on your link, that is insane. I can not believe a car company would market and then even have a following worth that endeavor. Even more amazing is that the pattern was still available for restoration. Thank you for all the information regarding the craziness by a major car company in your posting. 

JimR
Instructor

Pretty tough to beat that Cadillac but Plymouth gave it the ole college try. Dad bought mom a 71 Gran Fury with this paisley pattern interior….in baby-poop brown no less. And to try to do Cadillac one-better, they gave it a matching paisley vinyl top too. Mom loved it. Me…not so much. 

DA6DCAFB-418A-4136-B50F-D1090C8AB048.png

FF8B89DC-BE6F-4BE8-84FB-F3AD8FB8A9F4.png

CitationMan
Instructor

The late 50’s early 60’s Pontiac Tri Color interiors were pretty wild.

CitationMan_0-1629908699066.jpeg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yeah that's a great one. Actually Pontiac did a reprise of that in the late 70s. Talk about history repeating itself! 

CitationMan
Instructor

I had no idea, that’s great! I miss the lounge chair seats in a big sedan or coupe for floating down the road.

RustyFenders
Pit Crew

Hey. Those who cannot learn from upholstery are doomed to repeat it.

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

This is an attention getter. People would pass up my old Challenger to chat with this person for sure

brianr911
Pit Crew

Is that a Bonneville Coupe?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yup, sure is! 

CitationMan
Instructor

This one is wild only when compared to today’s drab interiors.

This 1967 Cadillac Eldorado sports the Dalmatian interior. The seat backs also have the subtle houndstooth fabric surrounded by black vinyl just like the front sides.

CitationMan_0-1629911957037.png

hyperv6
Gearhead

Fiero’s offered suede seats with wool skin inserts in 84-85. 

Then in the Indy Pace car in 84 it was leather with woven inserts with the Indy emblem for 84 woven into the fabric. Original seats with good fabric can cost more than a decent 84 Fiero as no fabric is left. 

Huntz-Hall
Pit Crew

Yup the Ponti tri-color was great. I had a '61 White Bonneville convertible with two tones of green & silver in leather. I would clean the seats with lemon pledge. When my girl friend was riding with me I would go around a right hand corner & she would slide over next to me, ( no seat belts) great fun. I wish I still had that car, it was great! 

neilternet
Pit Crew

BCCCC7FD-DBC1-4313-99CC-80BA7D805DB8.jpeg

 1978 Dodge Aspen. This interior is two shades of red plus the cloth pattern. The carpet and headliner are also red. I wish today’s interior design people would do something like this. I detest solid black interiors. My living room is not black and my car is my living room when I am going down the road.

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

I need one of these 70s cars!

AvantiSteve
New Driver

Great post and replies by community members! I nominate my 79 Avanti II interior for "Good insane." Avanti buyers could select their interior materials and exterior paint...as well as whether they wanted one or two superchargers (or none). With 2 superchargers the car went 178mph at Bonneville in 1963 (plus 26 land speed records), the year it was introduced. Check out the Jet Age interior cabin, the saddle tan leather throughout with maroon leather piping ($3000 extra in 1979), aircraft style controls on the console and above the mirror (rocker switches), a slide-out vanity with pop-up mirror in the glove box, and a fully upholstered roll bar.IMG-6539.JPGIMG-6540.JPGIMG-6549.JPG

MikeyB
New Driver

Steve- fabulous!!!

Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

478211BB-120B-43CC-94A3-D86787962B96.jpeg

AMC’s Oleg Cassini interiors were spectacular!

JimE
New Driver

That picture is a Pierre Cardin interior for a 73 Javelin or AMX.   I had a Javelin AMX 401 from 73-75 with that interior and the same purple exterior (and a white vinyl top) as in the picture.  The Oleg Cassini interiors were for the Matador.  Gremlins, Hornet Xs and CJ5 Jeeps had Levi's interiors as options.   

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

No way!!!!!!!  this looks custom cool

positrac401
New Driver

Uh, Pierre Cardin only available in Javelin

il66pony
Pit Crew

I love '57 Chevy's as much as the next guy.  But the Bel Air Cloth "cloud fabric" was terrible IMHO

Smileamile
Intermediate Driver

This Porsche 928 was cool

Smileamile_0-1630346588742.jpeg

jrb23321
Pit Crew

Great picture of the green Cadillac. Reminds me of the 1974 Sedan DeVille my mom had. Red paisley  interior the size of the living room couch.  What a great car that was. 

JL
New Driver

How about the 1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 Houndstooth Edition?

1970 Cougar Houndstooth.jpg

CitationMan
Instructor

That is a great find! And the ladies cape is over the top. 

Porsche should have offered a cape in Pasha fabric.

gdwriter
Pit Crew

The 1975 Cadillacs were likely the peak of "so tacky it's awesome" interiors. The 1975 Sedan de Ville featuring Maharaja cloth in Medium Jasper is perhaps topped only by the flossier Fleetwood Brougham with shirred Monticello velour in Crimson:

1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

tigercat
Intermediate Driver

I could drink Sangria and puke in that car and you would not be able to tell where what I left ends and the upholstery begins.

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

This looks like a 70s velvet wallpaper my parents had in the living room. I am picturing me sitting on the couch watching ON TV and this pattern on the wall behind

gdwriter
Pit Crew

My '64 Impala features a pretty wild 60s upholstery pattern as well:

P5160145.JPG

merlebalke
Detailer

In the 1980's the Kustom Kemps of America held their show in Holland Michigan. There was a ghastly custom Mercury there that had a fireplace. Worst thing I ever saw. Unfortunately I no longer have the photos.

Revellcraft02
Intermediate Driver

I saw these on Top Gear, but they are still the most alarming interiors I have ever seen.

E0CE7563-56B5-46E6-9AA7-D1764E4E4128.jpeg

 Richard’s BMW M3 from the cheap performance sedan challenge. “Toffee and Caramel” colored leather.

94D84BF5-5E1C-40B7-BEC7-41E23FB93E63.jpeg

 Jeremy’s Rover SD1 from the British Leyland challenge. “Plum” colored velour.

18CBA1E1-8C00-4848-8E9E-52DFF423D63B.jpeg

 and finally James’s Austin Princess also from the British Leyland challenge. Brown velour.

Delaware_Doug
New Driver

Here’s the Lincoln Mark V Versailles velour interior option on the 1976 to 1979 Lincoln Mark series.  The entire interior was covered in velour, all the window garnish moldings, interior panels, seat backs, everything except the dash top and the door armrest pads.  It was a very expensive option.

6DB4CC18-1E39-4E81-92A5-6846510B3F7F.jpeg

574101D5-64DE-4EED-8422-944157D93795.jpeg

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

Like sitting on plush pillows. Crazy cool just do not attempt to drive aggressively 

brianr911
Pit Crew

Actually you stick to them like Velcro (Brand Hook & Loop Fasteners). It's hard to slide your butt into position! Now the leather - well slide away!

brianr911
Pit Crew

That Versailles Velour was  $2000 option over the price of the standard leather!

Sajeev
Community Manager

And they plastered it everywhere, even the quarter panels! 

LightningLee
Intermediate Driver

I want one just for those seats! Seriously born in 66 these types of things bring me back to that bold car era where this and alligator and mod vinyl roofs were a thing. I love it!

DmSea
Pit Crew

Interior should be consider as much important as the outside (or design of the vehicle). Because that is where we spend most of our time, when driving of course. Might as well make it special and inviting. I found the Obergine velour color of my ‘86 Saab 900 was very nice👍🏼 

gdwriter
Pit Crew

The interior on this 1979 Saab 900 turbo is kind of a mix of Ikea and Oldsmobile:

81706236.jpeg81706238.jpeg

JSievers
Advanced Driver

Call me warped, but I like every interior pictured in this thread!