cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What's most insane interior you've ever seen?

Asking subjective questions like these are always make for good conversations, so here goes: What is the most insane interior you've ever seen? 

It could be a custom car at a car show, or something like the 1970s insanity of the Cadillac Fleetwood and DeVilles. 

CadillacCadillac

Granted, the word "insane" is both a positive and a negative for some folks, in some contexts. And this is one of them: just because you think its insane doesn't mean you don't like it!

I would personally love a Caddy like this. 

58 REPLIES 58
Sajeev
Community Manager

Don't worry, I am pretty sure you are in good company here on this thread! 

NITRO450EXP
Technician

_

CTK
Pit Crew

One of the oddest interiors I ever saw, was a Dodge Monaco from the mid 70's.   Its seats looked like a flannel shirt.  I wish I had a picture to show.  But the "Hang ten" dodge darts weren't far behind...

NITRO450EXP
Technician

This is a seat I did for a friend of Mine's Rat Rod.

Buffalo hide, cow hide (hair on) baseball stitch with Para cord.

Branded the Buffalo Hide, and used 12 ga shotshell bases on the snaps.

Nitro

NITRO450EXP_0-1631273094702.jpeg

Sajeev
Community Manager

That's some impressive craftsmanship! 

NITRO450EXP
Technician

Thanks

CitationMan
Gearhead

The 1961 Buick Flamingo, a GM Motorama show car based on an Electra 225. The paint was pearlescent Flamingo pink, with a pink and cranberry leather interior. This is wild!

CitationMan_1-1632160531933.png

RogrTheShrubber
New Driver

My first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick, with a 170 straight-six with a 1bbl carb, and a three-on-the-tree that had been (poorly) converted to a floor shift. The shift rods were all wrong so none of the gears were where you'd expect to find them. I found it parked behind a Chevrolet dealership and gave them $300 which I'd borrowed from my dad. It took me a couple of minutes to find first gear so I could drive it off the lot.

That car was upholstered in gold and black embossed velvet, not unlike this pattern:

fabric.jpg 

I drove it to high school for two years, spending most of my time in auto shop working on it, and sold it to an airman for the same $300 I paid for it, still wearing the same horrid upholstery.

Reinhold_Weege
Instructor

There isn't really a way for me to show you an actual image, but the Chrysler Historical Collection has (some) design sketches of exterior and interior concepts that didn't quite make the cut. Imagine the "normal" New Yorker leather seats, done in long-haired, synthetic (I assume) fur. Essentially, mix these two photos in your mind's eye. Under the design sketch was the name "Cossack". 

Reinhold_Weege_3-1657547143212.png

Reinhold_Weege_4-1657547211386.png