cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: what retro re-introduction after the Bronco?

We've had a LOT of Bronco coverage these past few weeks, which got me thinking: What is the next retro automotive icon that should come back into production?   

Let's make it harder by NOT allowing dead brands: You CANNOT buy something from a nonexistent dealer network! 

• Right answer: Acura Integra
  • Wrong answer: Pontiac Fiero
  • Right answer: Ford Aerostar (come on, MAKE IT HAPPEN!) 
  • Wrong answer: Mercury Capri
  • Right answer: Jaguar XKE
  • Wrong answer: Jensen Interceptor
  • Right answer:  Cadillac Fleetwood
  • Wrong answer: Oldsmobile 98 Regency

s-l400.jpg

65 REPLIES 65
lowmiles
Pit Crew

El Camino

gerald102413
Detailer

I would love to see one day the return of the Plymouth Duster. My father had one when I was a kid and love that car. The future is endless!!!

hyperv6
Engineer

None of the above. The Retro thing has played out and it is time for new and modern new classics to be created. 

Not doing new models with new names is lower risk but lazy. Automakers are facing a much different future so they are going to find they will have to step out and be bold again. 

While I am not a big EV fan I applaud Cadillac for taking a big swing at the future. They are creating a new future and not trying to take some converted ICE models and trying to pass them off as great cars. They also are not trying to pass off old names as the new vehicles. 

Yes this is a risky move but I feel they will pull this off and create a new image for a very damaged name plate. 

Nearly every car on the list above is forgettable as are many suggested names. I am not a snob as I even own one of the named cars. It had its time but time has moved on. 

if we never had companies taking risks we would never have had steel bodies, auto transmissions, the 55 Chevy and small block, the Corvette, the Mustang etc. Not all were successful in risky moves but when they were they changed the industry. 

I hate Elon Musk but he proved people will pay more money for a better EV car vs the cheap odd looking science experiment looking cars that made no money. It Changed how GM and VW looked at the market and they soon will be a dominate factor with EV cars that will not make us change our live styles to live with. 

Sorry it is cold and wet here so I am in rant mode. Just got to let it out when you have cabin fever. Lol!

gerald102413
Detailer

Excellent point and GM is taking a leap of chance to continue to move forward to invent new concepts for the future of GM. You have to take a leap of faith or take risk in this case to move forward or otherwise, they'll be stuck in the stone age. 

hyperv6
Engineer

Yes it is a risk but we know where this is going so it is calculated. Timing of the leadership of this change is key. 

GM and VW know where global regulations are going so EV is coming no matter what. The key is to time it to where it meets the laws and get the technology to a acceptable level in range and cost by then. 

The rewards will be being seen by the public as a leader and potential to sell technology to others and also lower cost of building vehicles that are EV vs the never ending cost that keep going up on ICE. 

I don’t see people embracing EV  because they want to save trees but more about saving money on buying new cars that can be priced lower as return on investment arrives. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

I agree with you that automakers need to push forward. That being said, I will NEVER own an electric car. Environmentally (look at the mining figures for the requirements if EVERYONE had an electric car), it's just trading off one set of environmental hazards (even though Europe looks at our emissions standards as ridiculous) for another. The same way every car that passes an emissions test here in Metro Atlanta just gives a smokestack credit to mass transit with the biggest fleet of poorly maintained diesel busses that spew out black clouds a plenty, and of course, Hartsfield-Jackson. 

As long those kinds of double standards exist, I refuse to buy into it.

Rob1
Instructor

Amen Guitar,living in a reasonably remote area I have a large backup "Genny" as our grid seems to have more than its fair share of gremlins I cant imagine the electric grid with millions of EV vehicles plugged in admitted Iam old school but do embrace advancements but is this cart before the horse do we have the grid capacity going forward if this EV deal really gains ground jus sayin.R

Guitar74
Gearhead

Having worked for one of the big telecom companies and seeing how they introduced things like DSL before there was even system on the ground to actually sell to the Metro Atlanta area, I can confidently answer a resounding NO to the question of whether there is enough electrical infrastructure to handle millions of electric vehicles being plugged in along with every other demand from computers, homes, cell towers, etc.

Just in Conyers and Decatur alone they are still operating off of a grid that has been in the air since the before 40s (i.e. still have ceramic insulators on poles that are right beside the telegraph poles used by the Union forces. That's right...I'm an amateur history buff so I did some studies and found that General Sherman's engineers camped where the public library in Conyers Ga sits, and comparing photographs actually was able to verify that the old poles and telegraph wires are still there in many spots with electrical plant (what we call electrical, phone, cable, etc. in the telecom world) that dates back to early last century. So just seeing what happens during everyday use in a lot of cities, I would say that this country definitely does NOT have the grid to handle that kind of demand. They won't even spend the kind of money on hard heads, etc., rated to even hold the cabling up if we have a snow storm around here. Much less, upgrade the capacity of it.

3_Lightnings
Pit Crew

How about the sport trucks of the mid-90's?  GM's big engine 454, Ford's Lightning and even the Syclone all with sport suspension and incredible performance with boxes that allow you to carry a lot more than your sports car?Chevy 454SSChevy 454SSGMC SycloneGMC SycloneHolden Ute Thunder editionHolden Ute Thunder editionFirst Gen Lightning by FordFirst Gen Lightning by Ford 

Guitar74
Gearhead

sx4.jpg

I would like to see a retro version of this. My friend's mom had one when I was in Junior High (his dad worked at the Eagle Wing plant in Rantoul IL so I am sure that had a little to do with it). As a matter of fact, it was identical to this one. Great looking fun little car.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

A proper Blazer.

Something along these lines.

37058cc8c31e07d0356a48d3f48f5aa1.jpg

Nitro

WIK5Pete
New Driver

A REAL full size K5 Blazer/Jimmy.  At a quick glance I only saw this mentioned once in the replies below.

GM really jumped the shark when they slapped the legendary name on the me too crossover-in the 50th anniversary year of the Blazer's introduction.

Maybe short-lived, but the PT Cruiser, T-Bird, Prowler, SSR, HHR showed there can be retro oriented designs, and some of them really incited a passion in the market, but alas, they all went by the wayside.  In part, I believe, because they were pretty hollow representations...aka powerless.

But, I digress.  With Jeep pretty much owning the true off road market virtually uncontested, this leaves a Snake River Canyon gap in the market with no one looking to fill it.  Despite Jeep having some historic reputation issues just look at how the Wranglers hold their resale value.  Pretty close to Toyota, based on a wet finger in the air.

There were so many teaser 'renderings' of what GM could/should have done, but that's all they were.

Now Ford introduces a proper throwback inspired theme, with Wrangler squarely in the crosshairs and GM is left holding the bag of doggie droppings.  Quite pathetic.

Not sure if it's accounting people making these decisions (with all due respect to accountants), but it certainly wasn't based on reaching out to the marketplace.  Other than the cliche' statistic of most of these vehicles are relegated to mall cruisers.

I honestly hope I'm right in my gut that Ford will rock Wrangler's world.  Not to wish harm on Jeep, but to drive a market competition that will ultimately (hopefully) result in continued improvements in the current offerings, AND prime the pump for others to enter.  Oh, I just realized I left out the FJ Cruiser....another flash in the pan extinguished by the suits in the ivory towers.

And, for the record, this is coming from someone who grew up with K5's his entire life, and between Dad and I we have 3 currently.

Just my $.02.  Be well all!175549289_10158155922461903_8220310479815034167_n.jpgimg087.jpg

Guitar74
Gearhead

"A REAL full size K5 Blazer/Jimmy. "

I would be first in line to buy one if the price wasn't in the stratosphere. 

SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

A new RWD Celica as a replacement to the 86. Hear me out. A nerfed GR Yaris drivetrain as the base/"luxury" options. Revive the All-Trac name with a hybrid-AWD as the creme de le creme. Make the 6 speed standard, and use the Supra's transmission as the automatic option. 

Another option would be to revive the Mustang SVO as a trim package for the ecoboost. Slap some of the GT/Raptor performance parts on that sucker, some GT350r handling bits, and slap a $34,000 price tag on it. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Or.....Make the Ecoboost a RELIABLE performance engine. My stepson's Ecoboost 'Stang has been a hanger queen since day 1. I would like to see the SVO badge return along with the SVO performance parts catalog that included parts for the v8 Ford engines of yore. Special Vehicle Operations just rolled of the tongue so much better than Special Vehicle Teams.

CitationMan
Instructor

The Ford Flex. Call it the new Bronco Sport XL and it will sell like crazy this time around (joke). I just happened to see a Flex next to a Bronco Sport the other day, and the resemblance is amazing.

IMG_1557.jpeg